Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 17x24 cabin inTX
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
nathanprincipe
# Posted: 1 Sep 2011 14:47

Trollbridge, my next step is to do the plumbing, supply lines and DWV, then I can move on to wall insulation and drywall. The reason for being such a hurry to finish the ceiling before that other stuff is because I have rolling temp scaffolding on teh main floor that ive been using for the height. Its really big time in the way so when Im done with the ceiling Ill be breaking it down and also building my permanent stairs to the loft

exsailor, I think I just answered your question, haha

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 2 Sep 2011 19:33

I love the ceiling!! Makes me want to hunt down used picket fences. I think a sage green would look amazing.

nathan.principe
# Posted: 20 Dec 2011 15:52

My camera has been out of batteries for some time now, so Im behind on posting progress and even taking new photos that are more current. Obviously I bought batteries so I will post what pics are already on here.

Here some of the drywall in mid-project

I am nearly thru with the tape and bed ( Thank God for that!) and I will do the finishing trim and paint. Then Im bringing all the furniture!

trollbridge
# Posted: 20 Dec 2011 16:20

yippee pictures! I was just thinking about your cabin the other day when I was in the middle of a discussion about drywall and whether or not it should be used at a cabin.Did you decide on a paint color?I'm sure you are happy to be done sanding and mudding. Messy work! Can't wait for more pictures.

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 20 Dec 2011 20:23

The color will be my wife's decision, but she is leaning toward a very light sage green. We know we want to keep it a bright and airy feeling space so we are cautious of going to dark. Also I like the contrast of the dark ceiling against the light color walls ( really makes the wood details stand out) I will also be trimming all windows, doors, base boards, and ceiling molding with 1x4 cedar left in its natural state, this I hope will give one more dimension to the project and give it that "finished" look

dstraate
# Posted: 21 Dec 2011 10:11

Incredible work! The beams and woodwork on the ceiling are really striking. I love that door too. Glad to see that your drywall is done. That can be really hard on the shoulders if you don't have enough help. Everything is really coming together nicely.

dfosson
# Posted: 28 Dec 2011 18:17

Always enjoy looking at a cabin project that is similar in size to my own. 'My Ohio Cabin' is a 16x24 with a sleeping loft. I feel your pain having to do all that drywall. I only drywalled the bathroom and 1 wall in the living area and 1 in the kitchen. I'd much rather install T&G and stain instead of dealing with drywall! However, if you maintain heat and do good work, it is very pretty. I used sand texturing in my paints to give the walls a rustic look. Enjoyed your pictures!!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 28 Dec 2011 18:24

your updated progress ---looks great!!!!!!!

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 29 Dec 2011 09:36

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I will not be returning to Cabin till after New Years. I calculated roughly my materials and cost to trim out all the windows, doors, base boards, and ceiling mouldings in 1x4 cedar, and HOLY MOLY! Had no Idea it would be that much! Ill save a few bucks though and get after it in a couple of weeks hopefully. After that will come paint and floor staining, Then............All my furniture!

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 23 Feb 2012 23:35

Im really falling behind on posting regular updates, but better later then never! Ive been working on the finishing touches getting ready to move the furniture in. It has taken 3 full days of work to paint, install the cedar trim, stain and seal the floors, but that is the last of the work I wanted to do before the furniture. I decided to take about a year off before I pick back up on the bathroom. Here are some photos of my recent progress

just for kicks, another 2 of the out side

I have been constructing the cabinets at home from scratch using a good quality grade ply-wood. I new I was going to pant them and give a distressed look, so because of that there is no complicated joinery, just face nailing with finishing nails.

I decided to use a regular old wash tub for a sink and cut a hole in bottom. I thought it would add a nice rustic touch and it was only $15! The counters are made from 2 types of pine ( type framing studs) and cedar ripped down on my table saw and glued together. I used left over epoxy resin I had to give it a nice seal

I used 1x4 cedar to trim for all the windows and for the ceiling moldings and base boards. This made all the difference!

I went with a simple approach for the stairs. I used 2x8 stringers and 2x6 cripple blocks (???) in between 2x12 treads. After we move all the furniture up stairs I will construct the handrails

beachman
# Posted: 24 Feb 2012 17:55

What a great cabin! I love the way you set it up on footings, the beams supporting the ceiling and the interior not to mention the great loft with the raised roof - good idea and looks great.

trollbridge
# Posted: 13 Mar 2012 11:22 - Edited by: trollbridge

WHAAAAAAAT...I missed your whole last posting!!!!!!

OMG....I love how it all turned out!!!!!!!Love,love,love your cabinetry!!!!!!!!!!!!So cool...we will be doing black also!! Wow-you sure have been busy....disgusted with myself for missing this!

Now WAITING PATIENTLY FOR PICTURES( tick tock,tick tock).........COME ON -YOU PROMISED!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!! Want to see all your furnishings you brought up!!!

Congratulations on getting to the finish line!!! (actually...I know you are not fooled....there never really is a finish line is there?LOL!)

hattie
# Posted: 13 Mar 2012 12:58

Not sure how I missed this but it is BEAUTIFUL!!! You should be very proud of your work!

With the wash tub that you are using for a sink, will you have running water and plumb the washtub to a drain or will you just put a bucket under it to make emptying easier?

The stairs are great. Is that a storage unit under them? Very clever and great use of space.

I can't wait to see the furniture.

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 13 Mar 2012 21:13

Thanks Trollbridge and Hattie. The furniture and most of the decor is in! Only prob is we left the camera behind on accident! oooppps...... I also have installed railing on the stairs since these photos

The washtub sink is already plumbed so it drains out of the bottom the cabin, and although we have not had water hooked up yet all the supply lines are in and waiting!

naturelover66
# Posted: 13 Mar 2012 21:44

Wow! It looks awesome !

trollbridge
# Posted: 13 Mar 2012 21:57

D'OH...of all weekends to forget your camera....bummer huh! I guess I will have to show lots of self control...not so easy sometimes...........................................so when you going up next???????

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 13 Mar 2012 22:34

not this, but next weekend, gonna have a big shindig!

samoni
# Posted: 14 Mar 2012 10:05

wow that is beautiful.

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Mar 2012 11:05

Quoting: nathanprincipe
gonna have a big shindig!

Now that should be a fine, knee-slappin good time and boy have you earned it.......just think all the blood (your nose), sweat (I'm sure!) and tears (perhaps a few????)!!!! Have a GREAT time!!!!!!!

Mark2011
# Posted: 15 Mar 2012 15:50

Wow, nice cabin.
Looks great!

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 15 Mar 2012 17:18

Thanks Mark! Trollbridge, Deff blood and sweat. While I wont admit the tears, I have cried on the inside on more then one occasion! haha

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Mar 2012 17:27 - Edited by: trollbridge

LOL!!! I applaud you... takes a real man to admit that!!!!! admitting to crying on the inside at least!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 2 Apr 2012 22:41

Psssst...it's me again........and you know what I'm waiting for.....

Hope you had a fantastic time at your cabin and I'm sure your shindig was a blast, and you may have even needed a little R&R to recuperate from it possibly.... but fess up.......your place looks awesome and you are going to get promptly to work posting those pictures asap right??!!!??? 'cause we can't wait to see them! LOL!!

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 3 Apr 2012 23:10

Sorry for the delay! Ive been slammed at work and my computer wont let me up load pics any more. I gotta find time to swing by my folks house and use their computer.

We had such a good time at the cabin and exploring little shops and different areas around town, did a little fishing in teh evening and then ghost stories around the camp fire at night!

First chance I get Ill put some pics up

Tim
# Posted: 4 Apr 2012 06:29

Nice work! But.....ugh, that's a lot of drywall to finish. Better you than me. lol.......I hate that part. Looks great!

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 13 Apr 2012 18:57

Finally got the pics uploaded, sorry for the wait! here they are

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 13 Apr 2012 18:59

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 13 Apr 2012 19:00

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 13 Apr 2012 19:01

hattie
# Posted: 13 Apr 2012 22:39

Congratulations! Your place looks great! I really like the ropes on the bannisters.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.