Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / New Member, Work in Progress
. 1 . 2 . >>
LakeSuperior5
# Posted: 19 Oct 2010 15:39 - Edited by: LakeSuperior5

I have recently discovered this forum, great information! We started our "shabin" this spring. After much debate this winter, I believe the final dimensions are 12" x 22" with a deck. Our property is mainly rock which presented challenges in design. Also it is located at a higher elevation so wind also had to be taken into account. Still a work in progress, might actually get ply wood on this weekend. We are racing winter.
drawing.JPG
drawing.JPG
Sonic.jpg
Sonic.jpg
Pier.jpg
Pier.jpg
Rafters.jpg
Rafters.jpg

bugs
# Posted: 19 Oct 2010 16:18

LakeS

Great shots of the place. Looks like you have some elevation gain on it. Do you have water? Can't wait to see more of your progress.

Good luck with it all.
bugs

LakeSuperior5
# Posted: 20 Oct 2010 10:52

Yes, elevation gain we have! No water, no power, will be off grid. We will have a rain barrel and solar. The driveway is around 200 feet from build site, also with elevation gain. Has been "fun" hand carrying everything, especially those posts.

The elevation provides nice views of Lake Superior and a State Park
lake.JPG
lake.JPG
deck.JPG
deck.JPG

Xplorer
# Posted: 20 Oct 2010 14:03

If you don't mind me asking, what state are you located in?

LakeSuperior5
# Posted: 20 Oct 2010 14:49

Minnesota - North Shore about 2 miles inland of Lake Superior is where this is located

Jerry
# Posted: 21 Oct 2010 10:01

I admire your energy and enthusiasm. At one time I'd work on a roof that steep, but those days are gone. I'm from the Duluth area so I know the North Shore area well. I'll look forward to more pictures of your project. Looks like it should be beautiful when finished.

LakeSuperior5
# Posted: 21 Oct 2010 14:06

I am afraid of heights, this is my husbands area. I am also tool challenged so my job on this project is that of a gopher. He has help come up on weekends. The roof will be tackled this weekend with the help of a much younger generation.

shotgun
# Posted: 26 Oct 2010 20:16

Nice looking project!!
Beautiful view
Is this your own design?

LakeSuperior5
# Posted: 27 Oct 2010 10:04

It is my husbands design after many nights of trying to figure out how much space we really needed. The design has changed a little during the construction process, mainly adding more windows after working in the heat this summer. Decided we might need more ventilation.

1/2 the ply done on the roof over the weekend. Little concerned right now after the winds we have been having and hoping all the care that was taken in bracing and clips has allowed it to not fly off.
Will find out on Friday.

Jerry
# Posted: 27 Oct 2010 13:43

Let us know what you find out on Friday. About 7" of snow here in Hermantown (Minnesota for others). I hope your hard work wasn't compromised.

LakeSuperior5
# Posted: 28 Oct 2010 15:12

Someone called and said they can see the tarp from the road which should mean that it didn't fly off and is still attached to the ply wood. Keeping fingers crossed. I sure hope the snow is melted Jerry!

LakeSuperior5
# Posted: 1 Nov 2010 10:46

Ply on the roof done, ice and water shield done, OSB on the walls. Next weekend doors and windows. We might beat the real snow yet.

No damage done by wind storm.
Shabin_5.jpg
Shabin_5.jpg

LakeSuperior5
# Posted: 8 Nov 2010 13:05

Weather gods have been very good to us. This last weekend we completed five windows and one of the doors. Plus wrapped the shabin in Tyvek. I think we can now breathe easier if it snows.
149634_1416599864525.jpg
149634_1416599864525.jpg
76447_10150121253509.jpg
76447_10150121253509.jpg

steveqvs
# Posted: 8 Nov 2010 13:14

Looks great.....

LakeSuperior5
# Posted: 24 Aug 2011 17:12

Progress is slow working only on weekends.
Deck done, shingles on roof #1. hmmm. A long ways to go yet.
Hoping by Labor Day to have the incredible burning toilet installed.
Shabin_5.jpg
Shabin_5.jpg
deck.jpg
deck.jpg

hattie
# Posted: 24 Aug 2011 22:24

Fabulous! Can't wait for a peek inside.

trollbridge
# Posted: 24 Aug 2011 23:29

Quoting: LakeSuperior5
Progress is slow working only on weekends

We hear ya! It does go slow doesn't it? Whenever I feel like we are getting nowhere I look back at pictures and then I realize we are getting somewhere...but it is still slowly:) Oh well.

Your cabin and view are wonderful! Do you live in Minnesota as well? I look forward to seeing the inside also.

LakeSuperior5
# Posted: 25 Aug 2011 11:39

Currently the inside is nothing pretty. Insulation in the ceiling and the loft in place. Maybe soon we can finish the inside but the weather has been to nice so we are working outside while we can. Still working on stair design in a small space.

Good thought on looking back at photos to remind yourself that progress is happening!

Yes we live in the Twin Cities with property "up north"

cxdyer
# Posted: 25 Aug 2011 18:53

That view is nothing less than spectacular!!! We are in Texas, the flatter part of Texas and we don't have anything that beautiful to look at. Although, our neighbors have cattle and I enjoy watching and listening to them. I could really get used to your view though, WOW.

trollbridge
# Posted: 25 Aug 2011 21:46

Both my husband and I grew up in the twin cities. Our cabin is 11 miles from Lake Superior. That view never gets old does it?

LakeSuperior5
# Posted: 31 Aug 2011 14:16 - Edited by: LakeSuperior5

Living in the Mpls area during the week is flat views. Like the views in the "upper" elevations on the weekends.

Started the bathroom area. We have moved it outside utilizes what we felt was extra deck/porch space. Should free up interior space. The photo inside shows the toilet on a wall. Can't wait for it to move to its' new spot. Hope to finish that part this coming weekend.

As you can see, interior is just a work in progress
inside_shabin.JPG
inside_shabin.JPG
inside2_shabin.JPG
inside2_shabin.JPG
Bath.JPG
Bath.JPG

trollbridge
# Posted: 31 Aug 2011 19:40

Bumping your toilet outside makes sense and will free up space nicely. I'm sure you won't regret that! What kind of toilet system do you have?

LakeSuperior5
# Posted: 1 Sep 2011 09:45

We will be using a Stoburn incinerating toilet. Have not tried it yet but hoping it works well. Found it on ebay for a good price.

LakeSuperior5
# Posted: 13 Oct 2011 16:56

Walls are finally up and door in for the bathroom area. Not sure how much more will get done this season but still progress.
bath.JPG
bath.JPG

trollbridge
# Posted: 13 Oct 2011 21:17

How will you be heating your bathroom? or will you? Are you going to heat your cabin with a wood stove?

It looks good...hopefully you'll be able to get more weekends of warm weather.

LakeSuperior5
# Posted: 14 Oct 2011 11:25

The cabin will have a wall mounted, vented propane heater. I cannot remember which one we purchased because it was a long time ago and still in the box :(

The bathroom, well not sure yet. We have a Big Buddy one that would work if you heat in advance, say for a shower, but otherwise I think we will brave it without heat. Only a problem for late fall or winter when usage may not be that great.

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Oct 2011 12:26

Maybe you could have vents that you open from the heated cabin since they share a wall, even something louvered. Did or are you going to insulate the bathroom area? Maybe even simple duct work with a small fan that would blow the warm air through. No need to suffer after all!!!

Are you going up this weekend? Suppose to be decent enough weather last I heard. We will be working on getting our siding on our gable ends. This will require all three levels of scaffolding for my husband and a ladder on top for the very highest portion. I will be the ground runner,cutter."bucket on a rope" loader and so forth- I too am afraid of heights. It makes me nervous watching my husband up there so my stress level will be high. I have a total "love/hate relationship with that darn scaffolding >:l Grrrrrr!

Have a great weekend!

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 14 Jan 2012 11:55

The attached photos are from mid-November. The heating source will be a propane direct vent heater. The heater installed is under-sized for the middle of winter, but should keep the space comfortable from April through November. Siding will be the T111 and the lower roof will be completed this summer, turning the current deck into a porch.

The idea of venting through the wall is a distinct possibility. While we will be Off-Grid, the next step is to wire for both 120 and 12v. Once the wiring is complete we can insulate.

One step at a time... Fortunately we can enjoy wine while relaxing on the deck after a days work :)
Shabin_No_5__Direct.jpg
Shabin_No_5__Direct.jpg
Shabin_No_5__Beginn.jpg
Shabin_No_5__Beginn.jpg
Shabin_No_5__The_si.jpg
Shabin_No_5__The_si.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Jan 2012 11:58

You've been busy...taking advantage of the lack of snow no doubt. I really like how you added the porch roof...don't think you will ever regret that in our climate! Looks great too!

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 14 Jan 2012 14:12

Member LakeSuperior5 = ShabinNo5 ?

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.