Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Our cabin- Southern Style
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Timberjack
# Posted: 22 Dec 2010 21:37

I had the idea for this cabin rattling around in my head for several years. I finally found the right piece of property and purchased it in early 2006, right after Katrina. It is 90 acres of mixed pine and hardwoods bordered by National Forest land on one side, timber company land on another side and good neighbors on the other. The Noxubee River is my southern border, excellent fishing for catfish, spotted bass, crappie and red bellies. The hunting is outstanding also.

We started the foundation and framing work in early November and here is our progress so far, hope you enjoy!
floor
floor
rafters
rafters
roof
roof
in the black
in the black

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 22 Dec 2010 22:00

Wow your making fast progress! whats going on with the left roof line on the gable end? is that part of your design or will those pieces get trimmed? and Im guess i twill get a metal roof judging by the strapping

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 22 Dec 2010 22:01

also were is your cabin located?

Timberjack
# Posted: 22 Dec 2010 22:10 - Edited by: Timberjack

Sorry, we are in Mississippi. I have some excellent help, my friend Chet who is a master carpenter and he really gets into building cabins. We let the 1x12 roof decking run 'wild' off the ends and have since gone back and trimmed them off. You're right about the metal roofing, in fact it will be delivered tomorrow morning but we won't put it on until next week since our roof insulation wont be delivered until Monday. It is really shaping up quick but some of my help will be out of town for the holidays so work will definately slow down.
Cypress lap siding for the exterior
Cypress lap siding for the exterior
Salvaged pine for the interior
Salvaged pine for the interior
Exposed rafters with decking
Exposed rafters with decking
Bunkroom over the porch
Bunkroom over the porch

Timberjack
# Posted: 23 Dec 2010 20:06

I cut some cedar today for our porch posts. I tried to get as close to the ground as possible in order to save the "swell" at the butt of the trees. We will try to get these all in place tomorow and I hope to have more pics.
cedar
cedar
studying
studying
trimming
trimming

Timberjack
# Posted: 24 Dec 2010 21:56

Got our porch posts up today and I think it turned out very well!
024_2.JPG
024_2.JPG
026.JPG
026.JPG

fpw
# Posted: 25 Dec 2010 11:15

Nice Work. Posts look great.

Where in Mississippi?

Timberjack
# Posted: 25 Dec 2010 11:20

Winston county, we had snow today- a rarity for us. More pics on the way.

fthurber
# Posted: 26 Dec 2010 14:18

I love the cypress and barn board (but am not so keen on the plywood and especially the OSB). Is that southern pine for the floors? Nice.

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 26 Dec 2010 14:26

Coming along nicely Timberjack! cant wait to see the exterior with the cypress siding and metal roof on

Timberjack
# Posted: 26 Dec 2010 14:28

There won't be any plywood or osb visible anywhere in this cabin once it is completed. That was something I was very adamant about.The floor in the room above the porch is 1x12 syp leftover from the roof decking. I got a good deal on it (475/mbf) but had to buy a whole bundle. I'm thinking barnwood for most of the interior walls along with some 1x pecky cypress I picked up from one of my mill contacts. I am a forester by trade so I've been lucky in that respect. I salvaged the barnwood from an old tenant house on my inlaw's farm. It is mostly 1x12 heart pine. I hope it looks good.

Timberjack
# Posted: 26 Dec 2010 14:47

We are almost ready to put the siding on and we discovered that we had no trim for the corners of the cabin as well as the windows and doors. I still had about 10 logs left so i made a quick trip to the sawmill and had Mr. Jackson (he's the one on the lift) cut 20 2x6x12s. They're still green and I'm sure we'll have some shrinkage but we didn't have much of a choice. He's been very helpful and even offered to come and play the fiddle for us at the inaugural cabin warming party. I hear tell he's very good.
32.JPG
32.JPG

Timberjack
# Posted: 28 Dec 2010 07:06

Finally got our metal roofing on! -relieved to be in the dry.
roof
roof

fasenuff
# Posted: 28 Dec 2010 07:48

Place looks good! Congrats on getting this far with it.

Timberjack
# Posted: 30 Dec 2010 20:41

Been busy doing some odds and ends but in the meantime we got our loft floored. We used 2x6 pine that we had milled from some bug killed timber (hence the "blue" streaks in some of it).
loft from below
loft from below
loft floor
loft floor
loft floor
loft floor

MtnDon
# Posted: 2 Jan 2011 20:32

I especially like the porch posts.

Since you are located in hot & humid Mississippi I thought I'd mention that when it comes time to insulate the walls and apply whatever you will use to finish the interior wall, do not use any polyethylene vapor barrier. It's a bad idea in a hot & humid climate.

Timberjack
# Posted: 3 Jan 2011 07:23

Thanks, I actually started insulating the walls yesterday. I'm using R13 rolls with the kraft vapor retarder. I have several sheets of the 1" polyiso foam leftover from the roof, thinking of using it somewhere, maybe in the walls or under the floor. I wonder how it would do if I doubled it? It has an R value of 6.5/inch with foil on both sides. I guess thats a vapor barrier though, may just use it under the floor, thoughts?

MtnDon
# Posted: 3 Jan 2011 15:28

I would not put the foil in the walls unless it was on the outside, with fiberglass or cellulose in the wall cavities. Under the floor joists would work too.

Timberjack
# Posted: 12 Jan 2011 23:05

Been doing some insulating, I guess the brother-in-law is good for something after all!
007_3.JPG
007_3.JPG
008_2.JPG
008_2.JPG
009_3.JPG
009_3.JPG

Timberjack
# Posted: 16 Jan 2011 21:52

Got started with our siding, cant wait to see how it looks!
003_4.JPG
003_4.JPG

TomChum
# Posted: 17 Jan 2011 12:18

I like the live edge on your siding! Is it Cedar? I too like to see barcoded materials covered by natural looking stuff. As HomeDepot becomes more powerful across the country it's good to see the locals stepping in to offer cool stuff.

I'm curious how much your sawyer is charging. Does he give you a Board-foot price?

Timberjack
# Posted: 18 Jan 2011 19:09

Tom, my sawyer charges me $200/mbf which may be a little bit pricey compared to some others but he does excellent work and I can call on him whenever the need arises. I carried him 25 nice cedar logs yesterday which will yield much more lumber than I will need. We decided that it would be best for both he and I to do it "on halves", meaning we split the lumber.

The siding on my cabin is cypress. Here is a picture after today's work.
005_7.JPG
005_7.JPG

TomChum
# Posted: 18 Jan 2011 19:47

$200/MBF sounds reasonable. Is this for cutting only? I didn't settle on an actual price up front and ended up paying about 5x retail. My lumber bill for this little cabin was $3600, which turned out to be about 5x retail. Yikes, I'd do it different next time, like shop around.

Anyway, back to your cabin, man that is looking great. If I build anything stick-built I will use that kind of siding.

Timberjack
# Posted: 19 Jan 2011 08:12

5x retail would be a killer. Why so expensive? If I bring the logs to Mr. Jackson he charges $200/mbf or if he has lumber on hand he will sell it to me at $400/mbf or .40/bdft. This is for pine. Cypress or cedar would cost more but he usually sells it as fast as he can produce it.

TomChum
# Posted: 19 Jan 2011 12:54 - Edited by: TomChum

Some of the complications, I think should have (fairly) gone to 2x retail but not 5x.

It was 100% Doug fir, but quality was not so great, lots of split boards.

All custom sizes, and he could not manage mixing orders for me with any other customers (had no storage bldg or racks, just a sawmill). So if he set a log on the mill, all boards were for me, which created more waste. I'm pretty sure it's possible to manage that better (!) but since we had not set an upfront price, waste+extra, was my cost, not his. The end billing came out to $2.10/BF. There was about 20% extra wood, which he thought was added value for me, but by the time the cabin was done, the refused lumber turned out to be all firewood grade, lots of splits, warped, trash. Really nothing extra but firewood.

In contrast, when I built my shed (after), I bought wood at the local lumberyard (Doug Fir grade2) for $.38BF, with 2 perfectly good sticks remaining.

When I asked, in the beginning, he said he "wasn't sure what the BF price would be, but it would be 'fair'". So I never demanded an upfront board-foot price. I wanted to buy local, support the locals and do business based on trust - so we left it at that. I got what I was looking for, you might say. Problem is, I stopped short of the final price.

He thought his price, for what I got, was fair, and he was an OK guy. If I would have demanded a BF price in the beginning he would have produced it at that BF price (my mistake). But he saw my shed later, and he saw that it was built with boards from the lumberyard....

Other tasks they did for me (an associated group of local guys) were done very well, and timely, so I am not complaining about working with them, I was very happy with their work done well and on-time. Problem is, the overcharge didn't go to the ones who were doing the good work.....

Anyway, this is too much information about my cabin on your thread!

Timberjack
# Posted: 19 Jan 2011 20:32

Sounds like you need to find another sawyer, rest assured there are others out there nearby who would be fair with you. I guess we live and learn!

Timberjack
# Posted: 22 Jan 2011 07:45

Finally got our siding on, I thought it turned out very nice!
226.JPG
226.JPG
227.JPG
227.JPG
231.JPG
231.JPG

97Marlin
# Posted: 22 Jan 2011 08:47

What are the dimensions of this cabin?

TomChum
# Posted: 22 Jan 2011 10:49 - Edited by: TomChum

I like it! Congrats. Isn't it nice to drive up to your cabin now?

Timberjack
# Posted: 22 Jan 2011 10:51

The living space is 18x24 with a 12x12 loft and a small room over the porch. The total footprint of the building with the porch is 24x26.

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.