Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Our Ak log cabin dream
<< . 1 . 2 .
Aklogcabin
# Posted: 5 Jan 2019 12:37

Hello Badger. Great to hear you were able to get some Alaskan dirt. That’s some pretty wild country. Great summers that can reach 90 and winters that can go minus 50 and minus 40 for weeks is common. But absolutely beautiful and I can understand why a few tough Alaskan folks have carved out homestead.
You will surely enjoy it !
Thank You fifty fifty. I enjoy reading this forum. I always learn something. I feel that I should also try to give back where and how I can. Building this cabin has really taught me a lot. In a lot of different ways. I always think back how blessed I am. I have the best partner in the world. My beautiful wife. Who was is always there .
I have lots of what I think were pretty cool moments, kind of really scary moments, what seems like too many of those things that I call life’s lessons, and figuring out how to build a better mousetrap.
If folks would like to hear more please let me know and I will try. One of my new year pledges is to try to participate more on these forums. Also seems like more of those life lessons things as I get older and sitting on the couch is funner.
Right now I’m trying to figure out the best way to put atv tires on a couple snow gos we have. A 73 Evinrude and 96 Polaris indy long track. And going over a 83 Honda 185 , 3 wheeler I picked up a couple years ago, cheap. Got it running great but going to put a new carburetor on it anyway. There only 23$ .
Like a new heart for the ol rig.
Was going out to the cabin but when I got up yesterday morning at 5:30 it was -5 . By ten it was ten below. Got to-17 and supposed to stay cold a few days. Bummer for me for sure! Trying to make it up by working on cabin projects. Will post some pictures later.
One more thing if I may. As an avid hunter, fisher , trapper , bad photographer , antler hunter , learning about all the flora and fanna and how to use it and many other outdoors kind of stuff please remember. Take one . Make one. Taking a kid, wife friend out with you. Introducing them to all the things that you enjoy.
Thank You.

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 5 Jan 2019 19:13

Here is the only photo of the cabin. Its vertical logs. Obviously, it needs some cosmetic help. But, the roof and foundation are supposedly solid.
DSC_0681.JPG
DSC_0681.JPG

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 9 Jan 2019 04:52

I just got the initial title report for my new AK land purchase. A nice little surprise, it comes with state certified water rights from the creek. Of course, its probably frozen solid right now (its been -53 degrees in Tok this last week)!!!

NorthRick
# Posted: 9 Jan 2019 15:21 - Edited by: NorthRick

Quoting: BadgersHollow
Well, I'm finally on my way to getting a root into Alaska now too. I am under contract on 5 acre 35 miles north of Tok. It's just past the Robertson River. It's got a good clearing and in the black spruce and birch forest. There is a vertical log cabin that's not pretty but looks solid. Wood stove, propane cook stove and propane lights. Outhouse. On a little creek. Vehicle access, about .5 miles off highway 2. I'm paying 14k. Don't think that is too bad of a deal. I'll post photos as I get them. I'll only be a summer vacationer there to start. But, I get 6 weeks off a year so will horde all my time for AK.

Congratulations and welcome to the great state of Alaska! You might want to remain a summer vacationer, however. It's 38 below in Tok right now. That's cold! Supposed to get up to a high of -34.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 13 Jan 2019 22:06

Great Badger. Your probably going to want a good 4 wheeler there to help with the work.
Rick have the earthquakes affected your cabin ? I had some stuff fall off the shelves but nothing major. I suspect that the trails will have a few trees that may need to get cut . Especially if they were full of the frozen rain we got prior. I know getting to my cabin the last time I had a ton of brush that had ice rain on it and was all sagging down. Got a good workout that day cutting trail in snow up to my butt.
OGlad I have a wide track snow go.
I really wanted to get out and trap some problem beavers and try for some lynx and wolves but then we got this minus 25 degree stuff . Just too dangerous to go out for fun. I’m trying to figure out the best way to put atv tires on the front of a 1973 evinrude snow go I got. It has a real long 22” wide track and reverse. Also a bogie wheel suspension. Should go great over the tundra in the summer time . I need to fly out then, then another couple miles . I have a 4 wheeler there but I think this will work also. Always try to be conscientious towards the environment.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.