Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Vented propane heater
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
smitty
# Posted: 22 Jun 2011 15:50

Hey guys,
Getting our permit and everything is looking good for the build.
Now I am thinking about heat for the winter. I am looking for something like the small vent free propane heaters they sell at Lowes. But I want it vented. I never did trust those vent free heaters.
I am Googling, but can't find what I am looking for, so thought I would ask you all if you have seen one.

Just a small passive convection propane heater, like the vent free ones, but vented. Any ideas?

smitty
# Posted: 22 Jun 2011 16:21

This is the only thing I could find. Why are the vented heaters so much more expensive than the vent free?

rayyy
# Posted: 22 Jun 2011 21:38

I know,Smitty.I'm still looking too.I want a B-vented(pipe)small propane heater that can be hooked upped to a 20 or 30 pound tank that works off a thermostat.When the temp is satisfied,the flame goes out and relights off of a battery powered pizzo ignition.

Just
# Posted: 22 Jun 2011 22:30

go to a used trailer parts store and get a trailer propane furnace without a fan .bushbunky has one usualy cost $50.vents through the wall !!

smitty
# Posted: 22 Jun 2011 22:30

Rayyy,
Will this work for us?
LINK

rayyy
# Posted: 23 Jun 2011 05:11

Iv'e got 2 furnaces out of old campers but they both have the 12 volt blower motors that need to run.Iv'e never seen a heater out of a camper that doesn't have the blower.I'll have to check this out.

MtnDon
# Posted: 23 Jun 2011 22:29 - Edited by: MtnDon

You don't say how much space to heat? Or how cold it gets outside in the winter?

Northern Tool sells a good wall heater; direct vent and operates with or without the AC powered fan. We have one in a 432 sq ft cabin that drops to as low a minus 20. If only the propane heater was used it would take a long time to warm up the place though. Search for Housewarmer brand on the NT website. We have the 18000 BTU unit.

Any forced air RV furnace I've ever seen uses a lot of power to run the blower fan.

You may run into cold weather issues is you try operating any propane appliances off portable 20 pound cylinders.

Basically as it gets colder it is more difficult to get the liquid propane turn into a gas so it can be burned. Depending on how cold it gets (how cold the tanks are) and how much propane (BTU's per hour input rating of the appliance) many times the only solution is 100 lb or larger tanks or manifolding several smaller tanks together to simultaneously feed one regulator.

Note altitude also affects the output of a propane burning appliance. Output is reduced by approx 3% per thousand feet of elevation. Over 3500 to 4000 you may need to replace the orifice.

Just
# Posted: 24 Jun 2011 14:52

pre 1970's,,, I belong to a moose hunting camp that has 4 of these . wouldent you know that i sleep in the only cabin without one . they have no temp control just on,, off,, pilot !!
gravity furnace
gravity furnace

MtnDon
# Posted: 24 Jun 2011 16:59

We had one of those in a 1970's Boler "egg" trailer. It worked, but I haven't seen anything new for a long time.

hebegbz
# Posted: 24 Jun 2011 21:27

Both Cozy and Williams make vented propane heaters that work great. They run on a 20lb tank if you want(I use a 100lb) and don't require any electricity for the thermostat. They have their own vent through the wall and use outside air for combustion. They are safe and quiet, and won't get your walls all dirty with soot.
You won't get one for $50, but I am using a 30k btu that I got almost new off Craigslist for $300. They go for about $700 new.

adamclay
# Posted: 10 Jul 2011 06:09

DICKINSON, DICKINSON, DICKINSON!

They make a 9,000 btu and 12,000 btu model. It is an open propane fireplace, fully vented. Not only does it serve as a great heat source, that is vented, but it also acts as a nice little fireplace.

sveta1
# Posted: 30 Nov 2012 16:40

I agree with adamclay, though not cheap, I have a 9000 model in a 12x16 mini cabin that is well insulated in the finger lakes area of New York (know for the cold). It keeps the place warm day and night with NP. The propane use is less than most any other, and it looks great. Well worth the money. Only extra item required is a low PSi regulator at less than $20. Everything else comes with the unit.

bobrok
# Posted: 30 Nov 2012 17:01 - Edited by: bobrok

Quoting: sveta1
I agree with adamclay, though not cheap, I have a 9000 model in a 12x16 mini cabin that is well insulated in the finger lakes area of New York (know for the cold). It keeps the place warm day and night with NP. The propane use is less than most any other, and it looks great. Well worth the money. Only extra item required is a low PSi regulator at less than $20. Everything else comes with the unit.

sveta1:

I am also still looking for the 'perfect' vented non-powered heater for my 20' x 20' camp.

I have a question I'd like to ask about your unit. Could you please e-mail me at: offgridfanatgmaildotcom if not too much trouble?

Thank you very much. Would appreciate hearing from you.

bob

hitanktank
# Posted: 30 Nov 2012 18:11 - Edited by: hitanktank

how much propane do those Dickinson stoves use, and are they fuelled by a bottle outside the cabin/house?

edit: all good found it on this page
http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/propane.php

TomChum
# Posted: 30 Dec 2012 23:19 - Edited by: TomChum

I'm on the lookout for a small vented heater for my showerhouse. I tried the Big Buddy heater, but when it gets steamy the O2 sensor shuts the heater off. So I guess I need one that uses outside air.

Here's a little VENTED heater (SIGMARINE) for about $450. It's small, 6500BTU good for warming a bedroom, or a very small cabin. Looks kinda cool, and you can put a small kettle or warm a coffeecup on the top.

This one looks kinda valuable, and I don't want to entice someone breaking in to steal it. Probably should choose a heater that looks like it's not worth tearing out, or small enough that it can be hidden inside the wall.
Sig Marine vented 6500 BTU propane heater
Sig Marine vented 6500 BTU propane heater

jamesinkster
# Posted: 31 Dec 2012 14:40

This is a timely topic, as I'm in the process of adding a propane heater to my cabin as well...
After some deliberation, I'm going with a 'plat cat' -- an extremely safe, vented catalytic heater: http://ventedcatheater.com/6.html
I'm off-grid (solar), so the low power draw is huge for me.

I had one years ago retrofitted into an RV and loved it... it's radiant heat, so it's that same dry feeling you get from a fireplace. I'm in a rainforest in the PNW, so the fact it's a dry heat is great.

Anyway, just thought i'd mention it.

Dillio187
# Posted: 31 Dec 2012 17:12

here's what I have. no power needed, Housewarmer 18,000 BTU direct vent. Works very well, and makes a nice drink table during the summer

I picked it up from Northern Tool for $399
furnace.jpg
furnace.jpg

jamesinkster
# Posted: 31 Dec 2012 17:34

Interesting -- looks like a good deal...

No intake vent, I guess? Do you crack a window/door for oxygen replacement?

Dillio187
# Posted: 31 Dec 2012 18:21

it draws it's air from outside too! It has the typical direct-vent setup with a smaller pipe (exhaust) inside of a larger one (intake)

TomChum
# Posted: 31 Dec 2012 20:26 - Edited by: TomChum

I like that vented catalytic heater! The Platcat. The Northerntool one looks good too, 18000 BTU is good for a small cabin but way too big for my little 40 SF showerhouse. It looks perfect for my usage, and its dry heat. How much do they cost?

Dillio187
# Posted: 1 Jan 2013 00:35

Tom, they sell an 8000 BTU model as well.

Dillio187
# Posted: 1 Jan 2013 13:35

found it...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200362081_200362081

TomChum
# Posted: 7 Jan 2013 12:00 - Edited by: TomChum

Quoting: Dillio187
Tom, they sell an 8000 BTU model as well.

Thanks D. That's looks like a good unit, but 8,000 BTU model is still a little large for my showerhouse (~40 SF).

I'm trying to get info on the PlatCat vented unit which is 3,000 BTU. I am hoping that the PlatCat unit can be hidden inside my 2x6 wall. http://ventedcatheater.com/2.html PlatCat says delivery times are about 8 weeks (ouch!)

here's pics of small vented heaters, gathered for the forum:

HouseWarmer 8000 BTU from Northern Tool
HouseWarmer 8000 BTU from Northern Tool, about $400, no electricity req'd
Dimensions: 18.5" x 8.5" x 21.75"

PlatCat 3,000 BTU vented heater
PlatCat 3,000 BTU Vented Heater about $450? Needs small amount of 12vDC for a powered exhaust vent
Dimensions: 14 x 12 x 5.375

Cozy Cabin heater by Sig MarineSigMarine, 6500 BTU vented heater , about $450? No power req'd.
Dimensions: 8 x 16 x 7.25

And there are the Dickinson Marine vented heaters. http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/propane.php
Dickinson Marine vented heaters
Dickinson Marine vented heaters

jamesinkster
# Posted: 7 Jan 2013 12:17

Hey Tom,

I've been told that a 3k btu platcat is comparable to a small space-heater on the 750w setting, and the bigger would equate to being on the 1500w setting... so, one of those little cheapo space heaters on low vs high.
for the price difference between the two models, i went with the more powerful unit -- i figured, why not?

I have spent months planning to install a wood stove in my tiny (insulated) cabin, and just recently I had the revelation that although I love wood heat and have free wood up there, it would just be more of a pain to keep running at reasonable temps, etc... so, propane feels like a bit of a cop-out, but this heater does give that nice orange glow, so oh well. And by the time i get all the insulated piping for a stove, etc, this is cheaper and easier...

TomChum
# Posted: 7 Jan 2013 12:26 - Edited by: TomChum

Quoting: jamesinkster
propane feels like a bit of a cop-out

That is a big problem for me. Once these in-city conveniences get in your cabin, all hell breaks loose and they bring their friends, who won't leave! Next thing a microwave and a TV are knockin' at the door.

I can't knock it for the showerhouse though. The unit is "vented" and has a small 12vDC electric blower to ensure that the venting combustion products to the outside actually occurs. The blower starts at a higher rate for 2 minutes then drops to a very low rate just to sustain the flow.

James, do you know anything about current delivery times, PlatCat says "8 weeks" on their website. I may have to go for the SigMarine to have one for this winter season. I like the SigMarine too, but not as easy to "hide it" in the 6" wall, as the PlatCat. SigMarine is 6500BTU, uses no electricity, seems to be about the same cost.

Anonymous
# Posted: 7 Jan 2013 15:25

Probably pricy but it seems like a nice unit...

http://www.psg-distribution.com/product.aspx?CategoId=14&Id=389

- 10,000 and 18,000 btu models
- coax vent pipe
- visible flame
- thermostat
- no electric needed except for optional blower

jamesinkster
# Posted: 7 Jan 2013 15:38

Hey Tom, no idea on delivery times.
Your best bet is to just email them/him (Arnie) and ask. He's very helpful and always quick to respond. A nice guy for sure.

Dillio187
# Posted: 7 Jan 2013 18:09

just a note on the Housewarmer models, just because they are a higher BTU doesn't mean they will bake you out of a structure. They do have a rudimentary thermostat control on them that you can set to maintain a constant temp. They are NOT always on high/med/low or anything like that.

creeky
# Posted: 11 Jan 2013 11:10 - Edited by: creeky

anybody have any experience with the Eskabe propane heaters? I like the fact that they have a modulating flame, 2000 to 8000 btus depending on temperature. it would be nice to go away for a few days and come home to a warm cabin.
http://www.stpaulmercantile.com/index.php?action=store&page=VentedWallHeaters

TomChum
# Posted: 11 Jan 2013 12:03

Escabe looks good, it's vented, and thermostatically controlled too.

As for my project,,,,, I have ordered a Dickinson P-9000, it's expected to arrive today.

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.