Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Propane Tanks
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
paulz
# Posted: 24 Nov 2018 16:45

Continuing my saga, today I took the 40 pounder with 5.5g in it to my local propane dealer. He did loosen the screw at the valve and it took 3.1 more. Now it weighs 65-70, which seems like a good compromise between capacity and lugability.

Surprisingly this time, when I didn't have an expired tank along, he never looked at the date on the good tank.

Anyway rain has cleared the air from the disastrous fire, so my wood stove is taking over heating duties for now. Going to run the wall heater on the 40 pounder with a 20 backup, should do.

deercula
# Posted: 24 Nov 2018 18:28

Quoting: paulz
the 40 pounder weighs 65-70,

The 40's i was using weighed 57 pounds after "filling" at Tractor Supply. Most of the time they never checked the date on my tanks. They looked new because they were stored in my garage when not in use.

Borrego
# Posted: 24 Nov 2018 18:53

I am lucky to live in the horse country/cowboy area of my county (not our cabin, our regular home).

There is a feed store down the way that refills any size tanks once a year (July 4th weekend) for $0.99 gal., up to a certain amount and then it's only $1.99. So I take down all of my tanks and get them filled...I have 2 - 20 lb'ers and about 10 - 5 lb'ers nd it usually costs me about $40....best deal ever!
And then I have the 2 large 200 lb'ers at the house and cabin...those are on auto refill for the route guys.

I'm in the process of switching over to propane for both of my generators too, so I guess I'l have to invest ina few more tanks...probably get 20 lb'ers...

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 24 Nov 2018 19:31

The place we get ours filled is 70 miles round trip.
You would not believe how they fill tanks there.
First of all they don't give a darn how old a tank is. They will fill anything.
Relative would take his 100 pounder from 1956 in and they would fill it.
Also, they have a scale but they don't care if you might have a little left in the tank and didn't want to run out. They have a set price for each size tank so you better make sure it's empty.
This was really upsetting when we only had two 30 pounders. Now we have six. They are never going to rip us off again!!!!!

paulz
# Posted: 24 Apr 2022 19:41 - Edited by: paulz

I converted my little outdoor Coleman green bottle propane BBQ to a 20# tank quite a while ago, works great. The shelf underneath my table won't take the tank upright so I have been storing it sideways, still connected. Pull it out and put it upright to use. Now I'm reading vertical tanks should not be stored horizontally. Seems to work, so what's the problem?

ICC
# Posted: 24 Apr 2022 21:51

Quoting: paulz
Now I'm reading vertical tanks should not be stored horizontally. Seems to work, so what's the problem?

Potentially dangerous, but only if certain conditions are met.
The cylinder must be very full.
The cylinder must be very hot like exposed to full bright hot summer sun or somehow very hot.
Under those conditions, the pressure inside the cylinder may get high enough to trigger the overpressure safety release. The safety release valve is intended to vent gaseous propane. If the cylinder is on its side rather than standing up the safety release valve might be in such a position that liquid propane will be released instead of gaseous propane.

When propane changes from a liquid state to a gaseous state its volume increases 270 times. A little bit of liquid propane will expand rapidly. THis can be a real danger in an enclosed space. There is also a danger if liquid propane contacts a person's skin. The liquid, when it changes to gaseous form, will be at -44 F. Instantly freeze skin, eyeballs, etc.

My propane dealer has a photo of some compact hatchback car that had a 100# cylinder laid horizontally for transport in the cargo area. It was full and on a hot day, the safety valve released liquid propane. All the cars windows blew out and then the car was burnt in a fireball. Luckily it was parked and unoccupied and no people were injured or killed. Any good propane dealer will stop a person from transporting a cylinder in the wrong orientation, but they don't always see everything.

paulz
# Posted: 25 Apr 2022 09:53

Thanks ICC. In my case, sounds like on an open shelf outside in the shade, even a safety valve opening shouldn't cause any harm.

Good warning though, pretty sure I've tossed empty 20 pounders in the bed of the truck sideways. Never full though. Easy to take for granted the stored energy.

gcrank1
# Posted: 25 Apr 2022 13:59

Spinning or torpedo'ing cylinders venting lp scare me.
I was surprised at the force a disposable little camp stove cylinder had when the line it was attached to let go.

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 25 Apr 2022 14:38

You should use the black iron pipe from the outside into the living space and it should have a sealed sleeve around it through the penetration. The conduit can be sealed on both sides with caulking. The idea is to not allow a wall cavity to fill with gas from a leak. Once inside and plumbed to the appliance with the black iron, there should be a tee, with a drip leg going down and capped off. Above the tee, there should be a shut-off ball valve. From the valve, you should use black iron to a heating appliance, however, for a cooking appliance or gas dryer, the connection can be made with a flexible pipe. A water heater should really be plumbed with hard black iron all of the way into the appliance. Outside, from the black iron, there should be another valve to shut off the propane source into the house. From the outside to the propane tank, the connection can be made with refrigeration copper and flare fittings right up to the regulator on the cylinder. If you prefer two cylinders, a tee can be added in the refrigeration copper to each of the regulators attached to the cylinders. Cylinders should not be located up against the side of the structure, but rather sit away from the structure some distance for safety. Each locality will have codes for enforcing specifications. In rural areas it would be wise to follow a locality code. They are put in place for a reason. Propane is a very good source of fuel, but as with all combustible gases, safety should be a priority since cabin life is usually not supported by a local fire department. Insurance companies may also not pay claims if installation is at fault.

Be safe.
Tim_Ohio

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 25 Apr 2022 14:49

Also, I might mention, there is an advantage to having two cylinders in place. If your appliances have pilot lights, then one cylinder can be removed without interrupting the gas supply to the pilot. Of course, there will need to be a ball valve on each leg of the tee. That's just food for thought.

Tim_Ohio

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 25 Apr 2022 15:08

Quoting: Tim_Ohio
have a sealed sleeve around it through the penetration

Note, the inside of the sleeve should be sealed. The outside should not be sealed to allow gas to leak out, if there is a leak in the pass through section of the plumbing.

Look at some of the municipality codes for safety concerns.

Tim

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.