Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Upstate NY cabin & question about water pumps
louarmy
# Posted: 4 Aug 2009 23:30

I'm new to this site and its just great! I bought 17 acres with a 16x20 finished cabin and storage shed in upstate NY earlier this year. I wanted to share some pix.

I don't have running water but there is a dug well on site. The cabin is wired for generator. I don't want to run pipes but would like to have a steady source of water, and was thinking of an old fashioned hand pump. Does anyone have any ideas or ever installed a pump like this?

Thanks!
cabin in snow
cabin in snow
cabin
cabin
"kitchen"
"kitchen"
wood stove
wood stove

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 5 Aug 2009 09:46

That is a very nice cabin! Winter picture is especially beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

cabinbasics
# Posted: 5 Aug 2009 15:56

Awesome acquisition louarmy! Nice faux rock work on that stove.

watersound
# Posted: 19 Oct 2009 22:56

I asked a similar question on the general forum yesterday my water source is 150 ft away. the hand pumps are cheep. with a well it should be easier.

dk1393
# Posted: 21 Oct 2009 16:40

I have been looking at a sand point well, also called drill point well. You can install it yourself. It may be worth looking into

elkdiebymybow
# Posted: 7 Jan 2010 22:58

Great looking place! Keep us informed on what you do for the pump. Have you considered a small pump run on solar?

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 8 Jan 2010 13:23

This is my comment on another related thread.

hauling water , holding tank, up to code?

We have a spring on our property. One cabin will be at -30ft, another at +20ft and one at +140ft elev. from the spring. We plan to use something like this to fill ~100gal tanks in each cabin and then use an RV pump to pressurize the cabin.

Solar Pump

Elevation/GPM Chart

It will run off the batteries/panels at the +20 cabin. If you are not trying to lift very much volume very far you can get buy with a fairly small power requirement.

I am only going to target 2gpm so it will take a couple of hours to fill the 100gal at each cabin but this should last a week.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 8 Jan 2010 18:26

Really love your cabin. My wife and I are building a 16x20 this summer. No loft and a bathroom so getting everything in is a tight fit.

Lots of questions:
Do you have a sketch of your floor plan?
Do you have a loft?
Are you pleased with your Century stove?

I would love to finish with wood on the outside but we are in range fire country and will have to use cement siding and metal roof.

We are in the desert and think that anyone with water on the property is very lucky.

Good luck with your water project.

seesaw
# Posted: 6 Jan 2011 22:18

What a beauty!
What is your snow load? We're near Claryville and will begin building in the Spring, do you know how we find out what our pitch should be?

MtnDon
# Posted: 6 Jan 2011 22:50

Your county should be able to advise on expected snow loads, or what load to build for. That info can also be gleaned from snow charts in the IBC and IRC code books for most parts of the country.

Then the rafters can be sized using tables or the AWC calculator. That snow load can be entered into the AWC calc.

If the rafters are properly sized for the expected load you can pick whatever pitch you like. Not everyone wants the snow to slide off. Sometimes that can be dangerous and builders will even go to the trouble to install devices to prevent snow sliding off. As long as the roof is built to take the load it is okay. There are examples of that all over Austria and Switzerland for example.

If a cathedral ceiling is involved the rafters will likely be oversized anyhow to permit the use of thicker roof insulation.

seesaw
# Posted: 6 Jan 2011 22:55

Great, thanks MtnDon.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.