Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Tiny 8x12 Michigan Cabin
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
brooksm29
# Posted: 23 Apr 2014 01:15

Hello All,
I am no longer a lurker and have graduated to poster . I have started the cabin build and will be updating as the weekends progress. I purchased the property, which is located in the Manistee National forest, approximately 1.5 years ago. I am the proud owner of 1 acre surrounded by federal land, that I got very cheap.
IMG_0587.jpg
IMG_0587.jpg
IMG_0589.jpg
IMG_0589.jpg
IMG_0593.jpg
IMG_0593.jpg
IMG_0597.jpg
IMG_0597.jpg

stickbowcrafter
# Posted: 23 Apr 2014 02:55

Congrats! Looks like you are off to a good start. Keep the pictures coming.

-Brian

Just
# Posted: 23 Apr 2014 12:40

if you build a hip roof you can get 2 double beds and a wall between them in the loft . I like 8x12's , have fun

In the Hollow
# Posted: 23 Apr 2014 13:09

I was along time lurker and recently went poster. I am happy for you and look forward to watching your progress.

brooksm29
# Posted: 24 Apr 2014 00:14

Should have more pics after this weekend. We are doing a family build weekend (weather permitting). I thought about going with the hip roof design and opted for the more traditional look. This is my first build, so if I ever decide to do it again I may change my mind. I have spent countless hours scouring the net looking at pics and gathering ideas. The inside is the part that always seems lacking in everyones posts and that is the part I am most interested in. Still trying to decide what wood stove I am going to get etc...Thank you for your comments. I appreciate and welcome them.

fastsled
# Posted: 25 Apr 2014 18:14

Great pictures! I'm in Mecosta county I can't wait to see your finished cabin!

MI drew
# Posted: 25 Apr 2014 20:58

Hey... good for you! Nice to see another MI person. It will be nice to follow your progress.

Question: you doing the 8x12 to keep it less than a 100sqft to avoid a building permit? Cause a lot of counties in NMI will let you go up to 200 without a building permit and just need a $35-$50 simple zoning permit. No inspections done at all. Anyway... just a thought before you get too far.

neb
# Posted: 25 Apr 2014 21:54

Have fun and enjoy the outdoors.

brooksm29
# Posted: 28 Apr 2014 03:50

Well, after a very long weekend and a lot of hard work, I have some more pics. We worked quite diligently from Friday evening until Sunday mid afternoon. Thank goodness for the weather and family.

fastsled- Where in Mecosta? I'm in Newaygo.

MI drew- I did the 100sqft to avoid the permit, taxes, etc...my township only allowed for the 100sqft unless it was agricultural and then it was 200.
photo_2.JPG
photo_2.JPG
photo_1.JPG
photo_1.JPG
photo_3.JPG
photo_3.JPG
photo_4.JPG
photo_4.JPG

brooksm29
# Posted: 28 Apr 2014 04:05

I also think that the townships/counties should allow more people like us to build small cabins/houses on smaller properties. I didnt want to deal with all the inspections, permits and hassle. I wanted a fun getaway and not another bill. I personally like to be legal and wish that the ordinances would just allow for people to build tiny "dwellings/cabins". They could tax the structure and property as such without offending me. They just need to revise their ideas and beliefs.

Wilbour
# Posted: 28 Apr 2014 10:30

My property is in Ontario, Canada were you can build a 100 Sq ft shed without a permit but it's the municipality that restricts them. Most insist on you having a dwelling with septic first. I follow a few blogs on people who live in a "tiny house" and feel that can be the answer for a lot of people. I am fortunate to have a preexisting shed I can repair this summer. Most posters here work hard to earn their keep and just want to live without a lot of government oversight. I say help the people who are struggling and let me be.

On another note, any issues shingling the 12/12 roof? I have to do mine soon ona 10x16.

brooksm29
# Posted: 28 Apr 2014 22:32

I couldnt agree more Wilbour. I asked them several questions etc before I decided what I was going to do. They didnt question the outhouse at all (odd) just the size of the building.

The metal roofing went very well. Pay special attention to how the run goes on the eaves and keep it even. With the metal I got, the roof cap can hide a lot of the unevenness.

cabingal3
# Posted: 28 Apr 2014 22:39

very nice cabin.lovely land.
we live where u can build 3 -200 sq foot buildings on each property before u have to have a permit.
we have just one built.its our cabin ...
u did a really nice job.

brooksm29
# Posted: 28 Apr 2014 23:18

Thank you cabingal3. I wish my township had been more lenient. 200 sqft woulda seemed like a palace...lol. I forgot to mention in my original post that my property is also on a small lake (200ft away). Nobody owns anything between me and it....

buksnbears
# Posted: 29 Apr 2014 07:20

nice shack.
love the flag.

brooksm29
# Posted: 30 Apr 2014 06:05

buksnbears- Thank you. Yeah the flag seems even more appropriate when we visit the property.

SandyR
# Posted: 30 Apr 2014 21:07

Very nice.

MI drew
# Posted: 1 May 2014 07:01

The flag fits... it just says this is my cabin and this is my land. I put one up just after I finished our outhouse and before the cabin was built. Really made it all feel complete.

Your progress is really coming along. Can't wait to see more updates.

Saw you put that your cabin is in Newago. Got a buddy who's place is in Brohman. It's a great area over there. I'm up in Mancelona.

brooksm29
# Posted: 1 May 2014 22:11

MI drew- Thats kinda how I felt about the flag. It was not the plan initially but when I saw it, it just screamed at me. We will be working on it this weekend and I should have some more pics on Sunday. I am in Newaygo County but I am very near Brohman. You go to your buddies cabin often? Maybe we could meet for a coffee or something if you are in the neighborhood.

I think I saw that the guys from Ohio were talking about some type of get together. Maybe we Michigan guys(Wolverines/Spartans) could attempt the same?

brooksm29
# Posted: 3 May 2014 21:21

Well after another busy weekend...We were able to get it all sealed in weather resistant. The 3rd picture is the beautiful view from cabin. The picture does not do it justice.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

fastsled
# Posted: 4 May 2014 10:29 - Edited by: fastsled

Your very close! I'm in Aetna township, right off 4 mile and 220. It's very nice country up here! Where about in Newago are you? I fish out of Henning park all the time.

brooksm29
# Posted: 4 May 2014 23:46 - Edited by: brooksm29

fastsled- I live near Grant and my property is near Brohman. It is beautiful up there for sure. The part I like the best is the 40 minute drive. It takes no time at all and we are there. I think anything longer than an hour seems too long and would deter me from going more often.

Got any pics of your place fastsled?

MI drew
# Posted: 5 May 2014 06:38

Unfortunately since getting my cabin built I really don't make it to Brohman that much anymore. With 2 young kids... any free time we go to our place now. But if i do ill let you know. Wow... it would be nice to be 40 min away. I drive 3.5hrs but only really dread it on the way home. My buddies place is on the road to Indian lake and he has 10 acres he hunts that buts up to Webingaw Lake.

brooksm29
# Posted: 6 May 2014 00:11

Wow...a 3.5 hour drive? I dont know if I could do that. I do not have really small kids anymore, I do however have track for 3, soccer for 1 and then we transition into the ultimate life sacrifice...FOOTBALL. It eats up a lot of Friday evenings that I would like to drive up and spend the weekend.

MI drew-any pics of your place?

MI drew
# Posted: 6 May 2014 07:00 - Edited by: MI drew

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_3595_0.html#msg52553

Here's the link to my build thread. We were originally building a 12 x 16 but ended up going bigger because zoning will let me have a seasonal hunting/fishing cabin up to 500sqft. I'd love a 45 min drive but where I live that will get me to Flint.... and that's nowhere near being up-north. LOL. Kids and sports will start to be my life next year and that's why I'm trying to get as much as I can get done now. I really like the 8x12 and 12x16 builds though. I love seeing the creative ideas of space when it comes to those. Can't wait to see more pix of your progress. You are really coming along.

brooksm29
# Posted: 7 May 2014 00:48

Great cabin MI drew. I wish I woulda had that zoning where I am at. We are too close to civilization (Kent County/Grand Rapids) to get that much leniency....lol. It is 1 hr away but county wise it is right next door. Newaygo County tries to mimic what Kent county does. If I could find other property in Lake county, they are way more lenient. I think it is kinda fun trying to pack as many off the grid amenities into an 8x12 as I can anyway. I am going with the outhouse, rainwater cache, woodstove, icebox and kero lights/stove combo to keep it OTG as much as possible. I do not want any extra bills, I have plenty.
2013092295135119.jpg
2013092295135119.jpg

fastsled
# Posted: 10 May 2014 17:55

I have nothing yet, but ten acres of woods and a small stream. I like your design though!

brooksm29
# Posted: 12 May 2014 03:58

Did you just recently aquire the property fastsled? I was looking at a piece over that way a while back. It was landlocked and needed a permit to cross the creek. Seemed like a lot of work.

fastsled
# Posted: 12 May 2014 21:43

No I have owned it for 18 years, I used to have a place in Baldwin but things change. I do like the shorter drive here! I live in Jenison, so it's about 45 min.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 12 May 2014 21:57

fastsled
Hi jack, but without a PM feature, I have to ask.....How fast?

Owen

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.