Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Tiny 8x12 Michigan Cabin
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
SE Ohio
# Posted: 13 May 2014 10:08

Quoting: brooksm29
I think I saw that the guys from Ohio were talking about some type of get together. Maybe we Michigan guys(Wolverines/Spartans) could attempt the same?

How about Michigan and Ohio folks get together in say, November to watch a certain college football game?

brooksm29
# Posted: 13 May 2014 21:41

fastsled- Wish I was a little closer to Baldwin. Bitely is close but still Newaygo County. I drive right by Jenison everyday. I work in Holland.

brooksm29
# Posted: 13 May 2014 21:43

SE Ohio- IDK, I havent received any feedback from my Michigan guys yet. They play football in November? HMMM...lol

brooksm29
# Posted: 19 May 2014 03:00

Imagine my dismay when I arrived to work on the cabin this weekend and I encountered that much water across road. I believe the lake is currently at record levels and it was almost 3 ft deep on the right side. Thank goodness that I have 2 ways in (other is not as easy).
20140518_094342.jpg
20140518_094342.jpg

brooksm29
# Posted: 26 May 2014 22:38

Got a good deal of work done this weekend. Got all 4 windows in, electric ran, 1/2 insulation done and painted the door. Kids helped a ton and all was well until the generator seized. Hope everyone had a good Memorial weekend.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Wilbour
# Posted: 27 May 2014 08:12

Quoting: brooksm29
Imagine my dismay when I arrived to work on the cabin this weekend and I encountered that much water across road. I believe the lake is currently at record levels and it was almost 3 ft deep on the right side.

This is my first spring on Wolfe Island near Kingston ON. The ground is all clay and still saturated. Since the winter was so cold the snow melted quite late. Now with the wet spring the ground still has yet to drain. We walk on boards to stay dry. Hope this changes soon.

brooksm29 - Nice cabin.

brooksm29
# Posted: 21 Jul 2014 05:23

FINALLY!!! No more Graduation parties and Holidays...so back to what I want to do the most...building he cabin. Doesnt appear that we got that much done in 10 hours but we busted our butts. All the soffit hung, loft stringers put in and the deck/security built (its a shed, not a cabin). Hoping to go back up in 2 weeks and crank out the final touches on the outside. Its mostly trim which I really hate...lol. Hopefully when we go back we will not deal with another case of someone ramming into our gate...grrr.
2014072095123955.jpg
2014072095123955.jpg
20140720_124126.jpg
20140720_124126.jpg

CaptCanuck
# Posted: 27 Jul 2014 13:13

^interesting deck design...I've never seen that before. Was that your idea or did you pick up the idea from another build?

Is that so that you stay under the square footage requirement in your municipality?

brooksm29
# Posted: 27 Jul 2014 23:34

CaptCanuck- I saw something similar on a fancy tiny house design, from Europe??. I thought it was a great idea to stay under the 100sqft restriction. It is not a deck, it is extra security for my shed...lol. It will be followed by the top half of the security feature, which will definately not be the roof to the lower half which IS NOT a deck. Its all in the wording.

brooksm29
# Posted: 27 Jul 2014 23:42

Trim trim trim. I hate trim but I got the whole outside done on Saturday. Only a cpl more things and all I have left is the inside. ahhh
2014072695183654.jpg
2014072695183654.jpg
2014072695183721.jpg
2014072695183721.jpg

neb
# Posted: 28 Jul 2014 07:50

Looks good.

Purplerules
# Posted: 28 Jul 2014 17:06

I absolutely love your fold up security gate/deck. How smart you are! I have enjoyed reading your build journey.

brooksm29
# Posted: 28 Jul 2014 23:58

neb- Thank you

Purplerules- I wish I could take credit for the idea but I cannot. I will take the credit for my design but not the idea...lol. I am very happy the way it turned out and cant wait to enjoy sitting on the front security gate with a cup of coffee. I wish we didnt have to get so creative to "bend the rules". I didnt want a 564sqft cabin and the costs associated with that. I wanted small and economical. I would gladly pay taxes etc that a 100-200sqft cabin warrants but they wouldnt allow it.

brooksm29
# Posted: 4 Aug 2014 05:39

Another Saturday of construction after a Friday of a lot of rain. I worked about 6 hours during the day and we all relaxed in the evening. Got the rest of the outside trim done, roof/soffit vents in, screen door hung and made a temporary step to access the deck. I probably wouuld have worked longer but the generator died. Hopefully, we can go up next weekend and have some nice weather.
Screen_door.JPG
Screen_door.JPG

brooksm29
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 05:59

Working on a project I already thought was completed....the outhouse. It needed a little fine tuning because I really hated dealing with the full buckets after a weekend with the fam. It is now a double holer. One with a drain for #1's and one for the #2's. The things I do to keep the ladies happy.
pooper.JPG
pooper.JPG

tkittlitz
# Posted: 28 Aug 2014 17:52

Looks great!

brooksm29
# Posted: 5 Sep 2014 01:07

Got the floor down finally. Wasnt sure how it was gonna turn out but I think it looks great. Its rough sawn, pine plank, but it is definately cabin appropriate. Also put up the coolest little solar yard light and finished the outhouse. Hopefully, will get more done this weekend.
floor.JPG
floor.JPG
yard_light.JPG
yard_light.JPG
finished_toilet..JPG
finished_toilet..JPG

brokeneck
# Posted: 29 Sep 2014 18:36

Awesome build --

Cosby
# Posted: 11 Oct 2014 20:49 - Edited by: Cosby

Loving seeing your improvements and love the flag as a curtain in the window.
We haven't managed to get the repairs done to the interior of our shack.... Would really like to get started on that. Planning on bringing a trailer up for awhile to camp in while we work on the shack.
[img=null]null[/img]
10478939_10203495689.jpg
10478939_10203495689.jpg

brooksm29
# Posted: 12 Oct 2014 22:12

Cosby- The interior has been dragging for me too. Its such a small cabin that when I store my tools etc in there, it leaves little room. When I arrive I have about 30 minutes of tool/camping gear removal to do each time. I also have been working 60-70 hours a week and 6 days. Sometimes I am just too tired to make the drive and work.

Thanx to all about the positive feedback. I heve never done thsi before and have enjoyed it thoroughly.

brooksm29
# Posted: 12 Oct 2014 22:12

Cosby- Where are you located?

Cosby
# Posted: 15 Oct 2014 11:46

Oceana County. I've been working two jobs.... working so much sure can cramp your relaxing style!

duster
# Posted: 13 Nov 2014 17:33

I'm doing a similar sized cabin to start, and I expect to begin in the late spring, but I haven't yet decided what I'll need for a foundation. Did you use concrete piers, or just deck blocks or some other method to support your frame?

claypat11
# Posted: 13 Jan 2015 23:39

I'd love to see some indoor pics of your cabin, brooks.

brooksm29
# Posted: 14 Jan 2015 00:59

Sorry I have not been on here in a while. Work, Kids, GF, Holidays seemed to keep me busy.

Cosby- I totally understand and knowing its the interior stuff to complete means its very tedious and time consuming. I have to work on my wood/coal stove install first, meaning laying bricks etc. This is why I havent done anything in weeks because the mortar will not set properly. I refuse to go the cabin and be miserable.

Duster- I built it on piers due to the ground being so un-level. I had flatter spots but I couldnt get the beautiful view of the lake.

Claypat11- I have not done much inside. It got cold=heat=needing woodstove=doing brick/mortar=needing heat=....u get the picture. I will get back on it soon and I will definitely post most pics. The guys/gals doing these little ones need as many pics and ideas as they can get.

victorvector
# Posted: 17 Jan 2015 19:28

I like it !

Neat tidy build . thanks for posting.

I`m new here , so I have a lot of reading to do to catch up ...

brooksm29
# Posted: 30 May 2016 23:20

After almost 1.5 years we are back at it. We told the fam that we needed to get stuff done and if they did not give us time...it would never happen. Last year we had stuff scheduled for us every weekend or it rained...lol. Got quite a bit done over the holiday weekend. Hope to knock some more out this weekend. Trying to get all the wood thats in the cabin up, so we dont have to move it in and out every time we go.
IMG_1522.jpg
IMG_1522.jpg
IMG_1526.jpg
IMG_1526.jpg

brooksm29
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 00:28

Quite a bit dont the last cpl weeks. Loft is mostly done and finally starting on the hearth. Looks pretty good for not having ever done brick work. I had done tuck pointing on my old house but never full on brick laying. Would have gotten more done but ran out of sand for the mortar, time and energy.
cabin1.JPG
cabin1.JPG
cabin2.JPG
cabin2.JPG
cabin3.JPG
cabin3.JPG
cabin4.JPG
cabin4.JPG

fastsled
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 21:58

Very nice! I can't wait to start on mine....

bhippler17
# Posted: 14 Jul 2016 23:15

If you don't mind me asking, do you know a ballpark amount that it cost to build it? Like for all the materials etc. Looks great! Thanks

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.