Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Log Cabin Sauna Project
. 1 . 2 . >>
skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 20 Sep 2014 09:18 - Edited by: skootamattaschmidty

We have always enjoyed our cabin year round. It's located in eastern Ontario near the town of Northbrook. In the winter time we enjoy cross country skiing and snow shoeing. A couple of winters ago after a long ski trip we were talking about how nice it would be to sit in a sauna when we got back. It was actually my son's suggestion. We have a ravine area off to the side and in front of the log cabin and my son suggested building one in there. We laughed about it at first but then after an anniversary getaway to a place with a sauna my wife and I talked more seriously about it. Last fall I cut down a number of trees to clear an area. When I got looking at my logs I decided to leave them, rather then cut them up and maybe think more seriously about building a log cabin sauna in a similar design to our log cabin.
Well as the past winter wore on I decided to go for it. I wanted to build as much of the sauna with materials off my land. This included using logs for the beams and joists, rafters etc. This spring I started on the project and so far I am pleased with the results. It was a lot more work then I anticipated and I have a long way to go but it is starting to look like something.
First off I had to cut down some trees and clear the area where I would be building. The area is very rocky and full of tree roots so I knew digging by hand would not be an option. I decided that I would incorporate a couple of tree stumps for the base and move rocks into place and essentially make it a floating structure as I knew it was not going to be large. Once I got the trees down I moved large rocks in place with a block and tackle and lots of sweat. I then began building a base with the logs and then floor joists with the logs.
Once the base was complete, I put OSB on the underside to protect the insulation. I then found 5" thick Styrofoam on Kijiji to insulate the floor. This was covered with vapour barrier and plywood. I then began building with the logs. I wanted to do a scribe fit so the logs fit tight and required no chinking. Once a log was in place, it was scribed and then cut free hand with a chainsaw. The long scribes and notches were filled with insulation, repositioned and spiked into place with 12" galvanized spikes.
I have 10 rows completed now and anticipate requiring 12 rows to get the height I desire. The structure is 8x10 on the inside and will have a 4'6" porch on the front that will be covered by the roof. The roof will also have an overhang on the back and front to keep the logs dry. When completed I plan to make a log railing around the porch and build a small bridge from the porch to ground level at the front of our cabin. The railing will use logs and then smaller saplings for the rails that will be fitted with tenons. I plan to cover the porch floor with cedar planks as well as the bridge. The roof will use logs for rafters then covered with pine boards, insulation and then steel. I have green steel already which will match the cabin. I have a small woodstove already to use as my heat source. The stove has a flat top that I will fit a steel tray and put rocks in and then I can splash water on to generate steam.
As an added bonus this will be used as a Bunkie in the summer months when I'm not using it as a sauna. I have a plan in mind to use my sauna benches as beds that can have an air mattress placed on and then bedding. I have two weeks off at the beginning of October and hope to complete my walls and start on a roof. I have been doing the majority of the project by myself but have had help from family and friends. A large metal cable has been installed over the site and I am using a block and tackle to hoist the logs and move them in place. The door in front is smaller than the finished width will be. I cut it for ease of gaining access to the inside. Once the logs settle I will cut a finished door and trim it off. Here are some pics of the progress.
base
base
place to peel logs
place to peel logs
IMG2014081000587.j.jpg
IMG2014081000587.j.jpg
IMG2014081100590.j.jpg
IMG2014081100590.j.jpg

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 20 Sep 2014 09:40

Some more pics
taking shape
taking shape
slowly but surely
slowly but surely
log pile dwindling
log pile dwindling
tight scribes
tight scribes

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 20 Sep 2014 09:46

The log I made used an axle with two wheels fastened to 4x4 blocks. I place the log on this and strap it to that. The front is a 2.5" steel bar attached to a trailer coupler. I then use the trailer dolly with a 2" ball attached to the coupler and I wheel the logs from my storage location to the build site. I have to go down a long path, down a hill and I can easily maneuver the logs on my own. It works better than anticipated.
homemade log dolly
homemade log dolly
log dolly
log dolly
log after cutting
log after cutting
IMG2014090800628.j.jpg
IMG2014090800628.j.jpg

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 20 Sep 2014 09:54

The bridge you see in the pictures is just a temporary construction bridge for ease of building. I have also placed extra posts under the beams on rocks to make it solid.
walls so far
walls so far
its actually level
its actually level
view of block and tackle on cable
view of block and tackle on cable
our log cabin and what the sauna will look like
our log cabin and what the sauna will look like

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 20 Sep 2014 09:56

I will continue to post pictures and update as the work progresses.

I am off grid and plan to use led lighting and a small battery with a solar panel to maintain it.

On Thanksgiving I have a big group of family members coming up to celebrate and help out. The help will be appreciated when it comes to installing a ridge beam that will be 18' long.

leonk
# Posted: 20 Sep 2014 22:29

Looks like lots of good hard work has been done already
Saunas are good in the summer too, not just winters.
Log sauna will take fairly long time to heat up in the winter, but not a big deal if you have the time.
I have 2 concerns with what you have done so far
1. insulation between logs is fiberglass? it will get wet and stay wet.
2. the same for the floor. Traditional sauna floor is not insulated and is laid with spacing in 2 layers of solid wood boards at 90 deg to each other - subfloor and 'clean' floor, so the water can drip through. If you do not plan on using water in yours, you're OK.
Again, looks pretty good to me

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 21 Sep 2014 11:27

Thanks. And yah for the most part it will be a dry sauna with a little water tossed on some rocks to generate some steam. I insulated the floor because I suspect this May end up getting used as a bunkie more than a sauna. Lol.
When we do use it as a sauna when it's cold, I'll get a good fire going early then we can go for our ski trip, come back and stoke it up and get it nice and warm.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 16 Oct 2014 14:42 - Edited by: skootamattaschmidty

Well I just got back from the cabin and I got lots of work done on my project with the help of family. The roof is up and covered with sheathing and it is tarped for the winter. I will not be framing a door or windows until next year after it settles more. In fact I probably will not do anymore work on it till next spring. At that time I will insulate the roof and cover it with steel. I have the winter to also think about what I want to do inside.
Ridge beam getting prepared
Ridge beam getting prepared
Ridge beam up
Ridge beam up
Rafters starting
Rafters starting

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 16 Oct 2014 14:52

My Uncle was a huge help for the roof. He built the original cabin 38 years ago. The sheathing is 1x6 rough spruce purchased from a local saw mill. I had enough of the spruce to cover the porch with it. I left the last couple rows off so that I can incorporate my bridge in the spring. The two vertical posts at the corners are temporary to allow for some settling. I will be replacing them with bigger ones in the spring. The porch will have a railing all around it and the bridge will have a railing. I am happy with where I am at with this.
Starting the sheathing
Starting the sheathing
One side done
One side done
Both sides done
Both sides done
Covered porch
Covered porch

jackaxe
# Posted: 16 Oct 2014 15:02

Looks great! But the first picture ^ looks like your uncle is ready to slice a black guinea pig.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 19 May 2015 19:27

Well I just spent a week and a half at the cabin. My goal was to finish the sauna/bunkie off, aside from the inside. I had some great weather and was able to accomplish my goal. I started off by doing the roof and chimney. I used green metal to match the cabin. Once I got the roof on I placed two more rows of logs on the gable ends. I then screened the remaining gap for the summer. I will install windows in the fall. I gathered stone from the property and made a hearth for the woodstove. I also finished off the fascia board. I cut the door opening bigger, framed it with 2" rough spruce, then made a door out of rough spruce. I then made a bridge, and finished off the front deck. I covered the bridge with cedar boards. The railing was installed and I added the logs to the front as a finishing touch. My next trip up I will make benches inside and install a proper heat shield for the stove. We did have a test fire and it gets good and hot and water on the rocks generates some nice steam!

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 19 May 2015 19:39

Here are a few pics.
Roof
Roof
Door
Door
Gable ends screened for summer
Gable ends screened for summer
Working on bridge
Working on bridge

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 19 May 2015 19:43

A couple more
Door frame
Door frame
Railing and bridge
Railing and bridge
Finishing touches
Finishing touches
Stove
Stove

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 19 May 2015 19:44

Not sure why my pics are sideways.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 19 May 2015 19:55

One final
image.jpg
image.jpg

creeky
# Posted: 19 May 2015 20:05

Nice. how about a rock garden moat under the bridge? Help gaurd any kids sleeping over knight.

(Blame wilbour for that one)

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 21 May 2015 06:21

Haha good idea!

duster
# Posted: 22 May 2015 13:33

That's a fantastic job. A big inspiration too.
A question about your rough spruce, from a local sawmill: Was it significantly cheaper? I ask because I have a lumberyard about 5 minutes from my place. I visited once last summer but got the impression they'd rather not deal with the general public - although they didn't flat out refuse to sell to me. (It's Leger Bros. in Mattawa, just around Algonquin Park from you, btw)

Also, what size logs did you use?
Cedar? Spruce? Pine?

Cheers, and congrats again!

leonk
# Posted: 22 May 2015 21:23

It looks awesome, very authentic.
The stove looks a bit small for a sauna.
what's the inside looks like?
If you need a lesson in steaming, I have vihta (I don't think there's Engish word for that)

will travel.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 22 May 2015 21:36

Thanks very much for your compliments! The sawmill I used was Wilson's just north of highway 7 on 62 at Madoc. I wanted rough spruce sheathing for my roofing as well as for my door, decking etc and they had lots and I liked the quality. They had varying widths, lengths and thicknesses. They were more than happy to sell to the general public and the quantity did not matter. They even let me sort out stuff I didn't like. I felt the prices were fine because the 1x6 spruce I bought for the roof cost me about $270 and that was enough to cover 360 square feet. Probably cheaper than plywood. The spruce I bought this past week cost me $.32 a lineal foot for 1x6 rough spruce. The 1x8 was $.50 a lineal foot and the 2x was $1.10 a lineal foot. So I felt they were reasonable prices.
As far as the trees/logs go, I cut and used what I had available on my property that was close enough to get to my build site and manage with a block and tackle as well as my log dolly on my own. The average thickness of the logs was probably 8", some bigger, a couple smaller. They were pines, spruce and cedar logs used together. The majority were pines. The rough decking I used for the bridge was actually cedar because it was going to be exposed. I got that from a local guy on highway 41 between Northbrook and Cloyne. I paid about $37 to cover the 30ish square feet to do it. I may buy more from him and run it through my planer and use it for my benches inside and a floor. Again thanks for your compliments. It has been a long project considering I started cutting trees down in October of 2013. Last summer was all work at the cabin. Next trip up I want to finish the inside so my holidays this summer can be relaxing
and enjoy the build.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 22 May 2015 21:46

The stove is a Drolet Nordic. It's actually good for 1000 square feet and the inside is only 80 square feet so it's plenty big for the sauna. In the test burns I did, it got it nice and warm inside in no time and that was with the gable ends just being screened in. When I close them with actual windows that will hold even more heat and steam. You have me intrigued with the vihta? I have no idea what this...can you fill me in? As far as the inside goes, it is just bare walls at this point. Next trip up I plan to build benches, upper and lower and do a proper heat shield behind the stove.

FishHog
# Posted: 23 May 2015 09:56

very nice. The craftsmanship of working with logs always amazes me.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 23 May 2015 15:14

Thanks! I read Robert Chanbers "Log Cabin Construction Manual" which was very helpful. I also had some pointers from my uncle who made the main cabin years ago. Once you get the hang of it, it goes well.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 30 Aug 2015 19:34

Well after a trip to the cabin in July and a month up there in August, the sauna/Bunkie is completed. I am very happy with the results. It fits in perfectly in the spot I chose to put it and does not look out of place at all. The covered porch was fantastic on rainy days when I had guests up as it gave an extra place to sit out of the rain. As far as being used as a Bunkie, I made railings that lift out when the upper benches are being used as beds. My nieces slept up top for a week and my sister slept down below on the double pull out bench and they loved it. When we were not using it as a Bunkie, we did make use of the sauna. It performed very well and got super hot without the gable ends closed off. (They are still screened for the summer.) This fall I will be closing the gable ends in with windows which will help trap the steam/heat in the sauna even better. We really enjoyed relaxing in a hot sauna this summer and are really looking forward to it when the weather turns cold. Here are some pictures of the project.
lower bench closed
lower bench closed
upper benches
upper benches
lower bench opened for a double bed
lower bench opened for a double bed
screen door
screen door

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 30 Aug 2015 19:38

More pics
freestanding step stool/stairs
freestanding step stool/stairs
upper bench with removeable railing
upper bench with removeable railing
railing finished
railing finished
side table
side table

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 30 Aug 2015 19:48

I used a jig on my router to make the tenons for the railings. Worked quite well and made it quick and easy. I also installed LED lighting inside, on the porch and some under lighting rope lights. They all run off a 12v 7ah small battery that is connected to a 40 watt solar panel.
ladder
ladder
stove with heat shield
stove with heat shield
battery
battery
with lights on
with lights on

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 30 Aug 2015 20:06 - Edited by: skootamattaschmidty

One final pic of the sauna and cabin together
cabin and sauna
cabin and sauna

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 30 Aug 2015 21:00

that sauna is the "cats azz" ....excellent job!!! luv being in a sauna!!! so relaxing !!! looks great with your cabin !!!

Coastal
# Posted: 30 Aug 2015 23:56

Wow nice work!

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 31 Aug 2015 21:31

Thanks for ur kind words!

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.