Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Log Cabin Sauna Project
<< . 1 . 2 .
leonk
# Posted: 10 Sep 2015 13:25

nice! what wood did you use for the benches?

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 10 Sep 2015 16:23

The benches are framed with cedar logs and then I used pine on top. Cedar would have been nicer but it was a cost/availability issue.

leonk
# Posted: 11 Sep 2015 15:29

if the pine won't sweat sap, you'll be fine...

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 11 Sep 2015 16:05

Thanks, I did not think of that. It was kiln dried, planed on one side and so far so good. If it becomes an issue I will try and find some cedar boards.

leonk
# Posted: 13 Sep 2015 00:40

I got my cedar in shorts from Danforth lumber in Toronto some 7-8 years ago, it was cheap.
Another option is aspen or basswood if by any chance you can get them... sometimes pallets are made from aspen.

Gary O
# Posted: 13 Sep 2015 06:49

Man, can you guys ever build cabins

Really appreciate the share

That sauna is simply gorgeous

(after seeing these pics I have nothing left to do but cut myself)

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 13 Sep 2015 10:44

Thanks Gary! I'm a lot like you when I build....I just build and hope for the best! The only thing left to do is make windows for the gable ends.

Thanks for the info Leonk. There is a guy not far from us that sells rough cedar for a very reasonable price. He did not have any in the dimensions I wanted at the time and he wasn't sure when he was getting more in. I was actually thinking next year I may get some from him, plane it down and use it for flooring.

Gary O
# Posted: 13 Sep 2015 12:09

Quoting: skootamattaschmidty
I'm a lot like you when I build....I just build and hope for the best

....and that's where the similarities end. I build from Home Depot material, you build from logs...and your magnificent mind.

crap, I gotta quit this gushing now

abby
# Posted: 13 Sep 2015 14:36

oh my goodness! the sauna is awesome!

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 13 Sep 2015 18:17

Gary, you have created an amazing place for you and Cabi and your magnificent mind as well! So don't sell yourself short!

Thanks Abby! We are really looking forward to using it lots this fall and winter! Only problem is my wife wants a sauna at home now too!

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 23 Jun 2016 20:45

Well I just got back from 10 days at the cabin. I put together a few projects while I was up. We picked up a couple of chairs at Costco I assembled and stained for the front porch of the sauna.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 23 Jun 2016 20:49

The sauna worked amazing this winter and spring when I was up and performed beyond my expectations. In the winter, after the initial warm up the first day, I could easily get it to 100 degrees Celsius even when -20 outside in about an hour. We would use it and then damper the fire down not adding any wood until the next afternoon or evening. Even on our coldest day up there the inside never went below 5 degrees without a fire burning since the night before. It also uses very little wood.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 23 Jun 2016 20:58 - Edited by: skootamattaschmidty

This past trip I decided to use an ibc container I had as a pool to cool off after the hot sauna in the summer time. It fit perfectly in front after levelling the ground below. I cut logs in half to face the container and then put a wide deck around the top to finish it off. It is not attached in any way to the sauna so if I decide to move it someday I can easily left it out. I fill it from my water source with my submersible pump and it fills in about an hour and a half. I added a bit of chlorine but just plan on emptying it and refilling it every few days. Maybe this winter I'll try to design a redneck heater for it to make a hot tub. I really enjoyed sitting in the sauna, plunging inthe water and then going back in the sauna. Very relaxing.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 23 Jun 2016 21:00

A few more
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 23 Jun 2016 21:02

I also got a new Coleman small spaces BBQ that fit perfectly on the front porch of the cabin where my old portable broil king was. I was very happy with it and now have more cooking space.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 23 Jun 2016 21:03

A picture of the sauna and cabin.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 23 Jun 2016 21:17

This spring I also built a large wood/ storage shed. I have just a used a tarp for the roof for now and hope to get a year or two out of it then will get steel. This project only cost me $50 for the tarp and spikes with all the trees coming from my property. I may eventually add more branches/logs to the sides and back and make a neat lattice design of some sort.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 23 Jun 2016 21:21

A lot of brush was cleaned up and burned this spring and I'm very happy with the place. To say the least, it has been a busy couple of years so this summer when I go back up in July and then the month of August it will be relaxing time. Hopefully get out on the canoe and kayak lots, do some fishing and just relax. My wife is hoping that too....knowing full well I love to putter and have make work projects....hmmmm I'm thinking an outdoor bar...

leonk
# Posted: 24 Jun 2016 17:41

awesome. I am offering free labour in exchange for sauna visits
I suggest you use lower temp in the sauna and use more water (steam), dry hot air is bad for you.
I run mine at around 65-75 C
No, I am not a wimp, I've been to saunas up to 130 C

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 24 Jun 2016 18:30

I actually dont usually run it that hot. I like 80 degrees. I bought a small pressure sprayer and i fill with water and spray the inside and splash lots of water around so i do get it good and steamy in there. I usually have my windows up too covered in steam. Ill take the labour anytime and you can sauna all you want!!

AlexW
# Posted: 17 Jan 2018 12:11

Hello.
Cold.
But I have questions.
Does the sauna need a special kind of lighting? Or I can use
classic lamps?
And what are the best LEDs or lamps for a sauna?
On the thematic site I found several options. Can I buy them?
Link here:https://spaprof.com/category/lighting/
Thanks for the answer.

AlexW
# Posted: 17 Jan 2018 12:14

This sauna looks perfect in the forest.

jtamlin
# Posted: 18 Feb 2018 11:37

I recently built a four season outhouse/bathroom as my water is only on during the warmer months but I want to be able use my place on the occasional weekend in the winter. I built a 6x12 building with the thought of a small bathroom on one end that would double as the changeroom for the sauna on the other end. The sauna will be heated by a small wood stove, and this in turn will keep the bathroom a reasonable temperature for.....well you know. The plan is that the wood stove will draw from the outside but be fed from the inside. The sauna will be small, maybe 6x6. Love reading and seeing what others are doing! As always any suggestions or pitfalls are appreciated.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 19 Feb 2018 05:14

We love our sauna, especially in the winter time! The wood stove heats it up quickly and it holds the heat well, especially being a log cabin. Ours is about 10x10 on the inside. I would think with your sauna being 6x6 you will want find a pretty small stove.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.