Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Finally got started...
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Gary O
# Posted: 13 Jun 2011 20:37

Quoting: Borrego
It is great for about 8 months

8 months ain't bad Borrego. We've got 5-6 months of snow and about a month of your 100° weather.
Your place is lookin' fantastic.
Those sliders oughta compose some pretty views
Does it cool off pretty good at night?

Borrego
# Posted: 13 Jun 2011 21:17 - Edited by: Borrego

Quoting: Gary O
Those sliders oughta compose some pretty views
Does it cool off pretty good at night?

We've got the slider doors facing NE, towards the badlands and the old Overland trail from 1848. Nothin' but view for miles and miles!

During Oct - Mar, the nights are cold, can go down to the 30's. This time of year it is just too hot, all the rocks and sand soak up that sun and hold it. 80 at night is tossin and turnin weather for me. Once the cabin is built, it should be better with all the insulation et al, we'll see. Some of the folks around have swamp coolers, but we'll be on solar and I don't think that'll run a SC? Thanks for the nice comments. I've got one more trip to button up and then layin low until mid September!
The View
The View

Borrego
# Posted: 28 Jun 2011 20:27 - Edited by: Borrego

Final trip for the year.......
Well, had to go out one last time.. shoulda gone sooner, but family difficulties got in the way (kinda similar to Erin's mom :-(
Talked a good buddy into going with me (well he volunteered actually, thank God for friends!) I needed to button up one area where I didn't finish the siding so birds wouldn't get into our place and turn it into a aviary! We used the desert heat strategy, ended up rolling in there about 5pm yesterday planning on doing a little work and then getting up early and finishing.
Well it was still 113 when we got there so it was a brief strategy session and then ice cold beer followed by a new bottle of Glenlivet! It didn't get any cooler but somehow it was more tolerable :-)
Got up at 5am (no sleep, too hot) and started work, made it out by 9am. Had a great backcountry breakfast on the way back to the coast then shower and sleep. Whew, can't go back until mid-September, we'll sorely miss it but the heat and 0 humidity are literal killers.
120 degrees at 7:30 am!!!
120 degrees at 7:30 am!!!
Bob on the roof....
Bob on the roof....

Borrego
# Posted: 21 Nov 2011 22:01

Well, we're back at it! didn't cool down this season until late October... So I'm finishing up the siding, putting up the trim, wiring the interior. Here are some pics:
current status
current status
midday rainbow
midday rainbow
another incredible sunrise!
another incredible sunrise!
me and the missus
me and the missus

neb
# Posted: 21 Nov 2011 22:09

Great pictures and like the one of you and the missus.

Borrego
# Posted: 21 Nov 2011 22:53

Thanks, she's da bomb!

trollbridge
# Posted: 21 Nov 2011 23:01

I'll bet you were dying to get back to the cabin after all summer! Did you decide to go with the OSB floor?

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 21 Nov 2011 23:01

Borrego,
Just read through your postings. Sorry for your problems a few months back. Things here still a daily struggle, but, trying to keep my chin up. Your photos are amazing. Being from the mountains of NE Tennessee, I'm always breathless at the beauty of the west. So beautiful in such a different way than I have everyday.
Can't wait to see photos of the inside.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 Nov 2011 06:19

beautiful pic's---your cabin looks GREAT!!!!!!!!

Borrego
# Posted: 22 Nov 2011 12:09

Quoting: trollbridge
I'll bet you were dying to get back to the cabin after all summer! Did you decide to go with the OSB floor?

Yeah, we were chompin at the bit for sure, it is our magical retreat!
Still gonna lay down the OSB and see how it looks as I need to level the existing floor anyway. If I can't get it all flush, then I'll rethink it. I saw this coming so allowed an extra 2" of height when I framed...

Quoting: Erins#1Mom
Being from the mountains of NE Tennessee, I'm always breathless at the beauty of the west. So beautiful in such a different way than I have everyday.

Yes, it is. I'm from Virginia originally so I know what you mean, the West is wide open, like something out of an old cowboy movie :-)

Quoting: turkeyhunter
beautiful pic's---your cabin looks GREAT!!!!!!!!

Thanks! We're going out just about every weekend so I'll have more postings coming along. I still have to build the front porch and eventually a screen porch as well. After I finish the cabin interior and make it livable, that is..... :-)

teakboat
# Posted: 27 Nov 2011 14:20

Super great post! What type of revisions? I have that book also, and have been considering using those plans.

Borrego
# Posted: 27 Nov 2011 18:12

Quoting: teakboat
Super great post! What type of revisions? I have that book also, and have been considering using those plans.

Thanks! Too many revisions to mention, PM me if you go this route, I can save you some headaches! It is a great method of building though, do it!

teakboat
# Posted: 28 Nov 2011 10:09

Yes, I am leaning that way. We have some pretty land over in Arkansas, I guess would make a nice spot for a cabin. But the land is extremely rustic, wondering if we would often make the 3 hr drive over to use it, and lose the creature comforts of home. Might just bite the bullet and get started though...

TimJ
# Posted: 29 Nov 2011 14:37

Awsome views, and nice work on the cabin!

Borrego
# Posted: 10 Dec 2011 20:42

Update - Just got back from the desert, another wonderful weekend! Haven't posted in awhile, here's where we are as of today:

Exterior - Done, except for paint! Spent a couple days with a caulk gun going up and down ladders, oh my knees :-(
034.jpg
034.jpg
040.jpg
040.jpg

Borrego
# Posted: 10 Dec 2011 20:44

Interior: Plumbing is done, electrical done except for a couple ceiling boxes
056.jpg
056.jpg
050.jpg
050.jpg
051.jpg
051.jpg
057.jpg
057.jpg

Borrego
# Posted: 10 Dec 2011 20:59

Next step will be insulation, then walls. I've decided to go with one-side-good plywood with a light wash broken up by T&G with a darker varnish......

More later...........
059.jpg
059.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 11 Dec 2011 20:27

Sounds like you are getting lots of work done!!! Can't wait to see pics of your walls when they get done!

Borrego
# Posted: 6 Feb 2012 20:54 - Edited by: Borrego

Time for an update, we've been busy.....
House is finished outside for the most part......

Just started putting in insulation and hangin drywall yesterday, here's some pics below
007.jpg
007.jpg
063.jpg
063.jpg
005.jpg
005.jpg
012.jpg
012.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Feb 2012 21:11

Lookin great...congrats on getting the outside done!!!! A great feat indeed!! I'm excited to watch your progress on the inside finishing. I like the colors you choose for your exterior...very nice looking!!

Borrego
# Posted: 12 May 2012 21:32

We're wrapping up our season and here's where we are:
Exterior done (except porch and decks)
Drywall all hung, mostly taped and finished
Cabinets installed in kitchen (got 'em from a job I had)
Areas that will be tiled are prepped
Decided on paint colors (the missus that is - I stayed away from this one
Found basically all of our furniture - leftovers, yard sales, etc... and refinished some of it, mostly early 1900's antiques! And 2 really nice area rugs from thrift stores

Next do do:
Finish drywall
Paint
Tile in bathroom and exterior shower
Butcher block counter tops
Flooring (decided on 1x8 pine, cheapest and will look good, thanks to Montanan, got some ideas from their project)

So we will have 1 more quick trip out, just to make sure everything is 'summerized' and then it'll be wait until mid -September and get back at it..... frankly,I'm ready for a break, hanging drywall in the desert by oneself is a serious drag
015.jpg
015.jpg
127.jpg
127.jpg
skip troweling the ceiling
skip troweling the ceiling
March_10_Canebrake_0.jpg
March_10_Canebrake_0.jpg

Borrego
# Posted: 12 May 2012 21:35

More pics
bathroom
bathroom
relaxing on temporary front porch, me on right
relaxing on temporary front porch, me on right
Iguana
Iguana
Sunrise
Sunrise

naturelover66
# Posted: 12 May 2012 21:55

Wow.... Looks great! That sunrise .....is breathtaking.

Borrego
# Posted: 12 May 2012 22:06

Actually that's not an iguana as my wife just informed me, that's a horny toad (and y'all thought that was my nickname, eh?)
Signals the beginning of rattlesnake season, but they eat red ants, so a mixed blessing......
And yeah, the sunrises out here are nothing short of incredible!

shotgun
# Posted: 19 May 2012 22:20

Sounds Like you have really been busy...
and still a lot to do..
I know that feeling!!! Just keep at it
Looking very nice...

Borrego
# Posted: 25 Nov 2012 16:32

Haven't updated y'all on my progress lately so here ya go:
Temperatures were unusually hot until mid October, so this weekend was only our 4th trip out this season.
Finally finished drywall! doing the whole cabin basically by myself went on forever. and ever... I was sure glad to put away the tools and return the scaffolds! We are now finished with paint as well, so starting on the floor will be next... Just got back and this weekend was spent running water from trailer (as far as I had it) to the cabin. So I will be able to install toilet and sinks pretty soon, wife is excited! Also installed door casing and caulked it, and added extra supports under the house to sturdy it up a bit.....
Let it flow!
Let it flow!
Bedroom doorway
Bedroom doorway
Outdoor shower
Outdoor shower
Ahhhhh...beautiful!
Ahhhhh...beautiful!

neb
# Posted: 25 Nov 2012 18:53

Very nice and what setting!

Borrego
# Posted: 24 Feb 2013 21:52

Got around to the floor at long last! 2 weekends and it's all down and half sealed. I ended up using basic T&G pine paneling from H Depot. Gotta be real careful when selecting the boards, some of the 'twisted sister' boards can cause a lot of pain...... I used Liquid nails subfloor adhesive and 1 3/4" finish nails. Since these boards are not T&G at their ends, I just toe-nailed and glued the ends to prevent them from raising away from each other. We used a Minwax stain conditioner to allow the pine to receive the stain a little better and it really works well! A Pecan color stain/polyurethane of was used and we like it... comments?
Canebrake_2222413.jpg
Canebrake_2222413.jpg
Canebrake_2222413.jpg
Canebrake_2222413.jpg
Canebrake_2222413.jpg
Canebrake_2222413.jpg

Borrego
# Posted: 26 Mar 2013 22:27

finished the kitchen, kinda, no appliances, but an ice chest and a camp stove will have to suffice for now. the missus just likes being able to wash the dishes in a real sink with hot water
Used an Ecotemp L10 as I've had good luck with this brand. Two 100lb tanks will be the supply and there's a pic of the setup... And a picture of our living room ............... ahhhh home sweet home!
022.jpg
022.jpg
024.jpg
024.jpg
028.jpg
028.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 27 Mar 2013 09:53

Wow borrego, you're really coming along! It looks fantastic! Warm, bright and cheery. I missed your floors before, but they look great! I love your choice of stain-it doesn't hide all the knots-my favorite detail of pine wood. I also like your tile along your kitchen sink.

Our climates are so very different that I always enjoy when you update-reminds me that the whole country isn't buried in snow it is fun to see the pictures of the desert. That little iguana up a few post is cute and the sunrise beautiful! Enjoy the remainder of your season

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.