Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / My 100 sq. ft. "cabin" in Southwestern Ontario - Lake Huron
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 .
Aklogcabin
# Posted: 12 Feb 2019 09:56

Bushbunkie, beachman, others . Since we have to charter a bush plane to get to the cabin carrying water was a real issue. I was born in the fifties guy so I can feel the pain also. We bought a MSR ,I think, water purifier pump . Now we can get water from the pond or creek or anywhere . We collect it in older water bottles, we bought these when we were building our first home 38 years ago, and pump it to new clean water jugs. No more carrying water ! This made a huge difference in our ability to get to the cabin. We keep dehydrated soups mashed potatoes coffee and such at the cabin and only have to take fresh foods . Basically a backpack. Blessed as that is moose , smoked salmon .
Your thread is nice, thanks for the visit. Ak .

beachman
# Posted: 12 Feb 2019 13:24

Loud 'n clear on the water thing except we can get to our vehicle by boat. We are lucky enough to have an old dug well on the property that we can tap into for most things and have drank the water on occasion. No one has died or gotten sick ---YET. We mostly carry in water to drink by boat (and any other supplies, food, etc...) and it is a lug.

If we could drive in we would bring a ton of stuff. Have to be selective. I am a product of the late 40's so the pain is becoming an issue. Watched a Ray Romano thing on Netflix the other nite and he described how he woke up with a sprained ankle - welcome to my world!

bushbunkie
# Posted: 12 Feb 2019 18:44

Too funny, Aklogcabin and Beachman...I thought I was the old guy! ....I'm a 1960 guy, so headin toward 59...and I think we're on the same page...do things smarter...I've had my days of bravado, I just want to stay healthy and enjoy the cabin with my honey. Did I mention I have never had a left hand?....so I gotta do everything I can to keep the arthritis out of my right arm / hand. Years of weight lifting and chainsawing have started taken it's toll...but I'm still farther ahead then many . The Ray Romano clip is hilarious and boy do I get it...the other day I turned funny to get into my truck and tweaked my lower back...I just thought..."you gotta be kidding!"

bushbunkie
# Posted: 10 Jun 2019 20:58 - Edited by: bushbunkie

hal·le·lu·jah!! My cabin passed the municipal Insulation and plumbing inspections last week and now I can start putting up walls!! I installed a deep well pump and now have running water including two outdoor taps. Installed the indoor toilet last week, much to the pleasure of my wife who no longer has to venture outside in the middle of the night! Had to upgrade the generator - still have my beloved whisper quiet Yamaha 3000 inverter genie for most things - but needed more power for the deep well pump. Found a Firmen 10000 genie online with electric and remote start and very happy with it so far...a higher end yammie or Honda was just too much $$ for what I needed. Our latest project was a old Farmer's porcelain kitchen sink which my wife found on KIJIJI. It was so beat up that the lady actually gave it to us for free. This is how it looks one week later after the overhaul and she is pretty pumped to add it to the kitchen. She also found a clawfoot in great shape...and if you begin to notice a theme...seems like everything she finds is free but weighs 200 lbs and needs to go into my truck!!! The height from the ground to the back of my truck seems to get higher every year!!
new tank
new tank
indoor plumbing finally...
indoor plumbing finally...
the sink
the sink
new genie with remote starter
new genie with remote starter

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 11 Jun 2019 10:29

Hello all. Bushbunkie the tub and sink look great . Nice to see you moving forward.
Does anyone know how to refinish these or do most like the worn look? I wasn’t able to get any freight to our cabin this last winter. So now I have to disassemble a 3 wheeler to get it to our cabin in time for moose season so I can get it into a bush plane. Hopefully.
Have a great day all. Remember, take one make one!

bushbunkie
# Posted: 13 Jun 2019 17:52

Hey AK! Hope all is well! We were going to refinish it if it was brutal...two ways I believe you can go...pick up a do it yourself enamelling kit for @ $80.00 or send to professional and they sandblast it and they re-enamel it....big bucks!
Hope it helps.
Hey...why you needing a three wheeler...thought you had an ol King quad up there already?

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 13 Jun 2019 21:05 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

We just left ours as is.
It's a rustic cabin. I like the worn look.
Our sink is from the 1920's.
The tub. I'm not sure. It is a odd size claw foot very long and a little narrow.
Very nice for soaking almost up to the neck. I can lie down fully and I'm 5'8".
I'm lucky it's shaped that way because the two people that looked at the tub before me couldn't buy it because it wouldn't fix in their bathrooms due to the length.
I've read some bad reviews on the DIY enamel kits. They start peeling. That would look a lot worse than just leaving it as is.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.