Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Share Your Shower Pics
. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
MikeOnBike
# Posted: 17 Feb 2011 17:14

Ok, it's winter, half or more of us can't get into our camps. We are bored, have cabin fever, etc. This won't be as popular as the 'Share Your Outhouse Pics' thread but what the heck.

Oh, I was thinking shower as in the noun, not the verb.

Coyote Ridge Observatory Facilities
Coyote Ridge Observatory Facilities

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 17 Feb 2011 17:35

a cabin i hunted out of last fall..............ruffin it

MtnDon
# Posted: 17 Feb 2011 18:46

our cabin bathroom/shower. The unseen end is for the toilet, composting or whatever you have.
miniaddooropenshowe.jpg
miniaddooropenshowe.jpg
miniafdoorclosedsho.jpg
miniafdoorclosedsho.jpg
P1030579.jpg
P1030579.jpg
P1030584.jpg
P1030584.jpg

fpw
# Posted: 17 Feb 2011 21:19

Solar shower. Doesn't work so well in the winter with temperatures below zero.
qq.jpg
qq.jpg
qqq.jpg
qqq.jpg

backattheshack
# Posted: 17 Feb 2011 22:15

hopefully get all construction debris cleaned up tmrw and get a better pic
shower
shower

bugs
# Posted: 18 Feb 2011 09:24

Almost embarrassed to post this pic of our first shower set up looking at the other posts. Before we worked up our 3-piece bathroom we attached/hung the solar shower to our multipurpose (cooking, eating, dish washing, sitting in the shade) facility aka pergola. It did have a nice view but as fpw said it could be VERY refreshing if it was cool or breezy. We did notice a lot of the animals around the yard site suffered from temporary blindness after we used it... Too much pink wobbly flesh for them to endure!
first shower
first shower

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 25 Feb 2011 22:59

Quoting: turkeyhunter
a cabin i hunted out of last fall..............ruffin it

Wow! It wasn't a blog cabin was it?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 26 Feb 2011 07:19

a friends camp up in deer country in IL

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 26 Feb 2011 07:23

bugs---like the coleman GAS stove and coffee pot in your pic, nice view of the water from your pergola.
btw.....i picked up a solar shower , for my pop up camper from LLBean.Will us it this spring on my turkey hunting trips.

bugs
# Posted: 26 Feb 2011 11:20

Sorry mob for slight ot turkeyhunter: Good eye. Yes it is a modern version of the classic coleman 2-burner. (Why change perfection.) Boiling up the water for morning coffee. We use a simple paper filter system dripping into an insulated coffee carafe. Holds all the coffee we drink during the day and keeps it hot.

Yes the views from our yard site are really pleasant. That is why we chose it after much bushwhacking. Prairie folk need to "see out" or they quickly feel claustrophobic. lol

Back on topic: The solar heater works really well. Too well on sunny days. You can burn yourself on the water. Even on semi over cast days it will heat the water up quite well for a quick splash.

cabingal3
# Posted: 12 Mar 2011 23:11

we need to get our shower area fixed up.this summer we are spending a week up at the place and we have a solar shower bag.so just need to have time to put it into being.sure will be great.
thanks for the pictures and sharing of good ideas.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 13 Mar 2011 19:00 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

a a friend of mine up in Maines camp, he laid a oak pallet on level ground, and on top a piece of scrap PT plylwood screwed to pallet, he sanded the top and clear sealed it, and had his solar shower hanging from a plant hanger off the side of his shed over pallet, he had picked up 3 pieces of wooded board fence, and one piece had a gate-entry way, so he attached to his shed and enclosed the pallet, heated his water on a wood heater in winter, coleman stove in the summer, and a nice hot shower feels good after a hard days work or a day from hunting..............

honusbam
# Posted: 15 Mar 2011 22:56

What a misleading subject line. Sorry, I can't resist.
imagesCAIWFB0D.jpg
imagesCAIWFB0D.jpg

nicalisa
# Posted: 7 Apr 2011 22:15

also posted under outhouse pics:)
DSC04477.JPG
DSC04477.JPG

TomChum
# Posted: 5 Jul 2011 20:53 - Edited by: TomChum

Here's my current shower. The view is fabulous.

I use a ~5 gallon sun-shower and either heat it with the sun, or after sundown I use the stove. 95 degrees seems like the correct temp. 5 gal is enough for 2 good showers, 3 good navy-style showers, or one decadent shower.

I have a rope and a pulley to lift it up. A pallet is my shower floor/drain. A shelf helps a lot.

I intend to build a shack before winter, and put a propane radiant heater in it for pre-heating.
Sunshower on a pulley
Sunshower on a pulley
View from the shower
View from the shower

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 5 Jul 2011 21:42

Quoting: TomChum
The view is fabulous

now that is a awesome view for a shower!!!!!!!!!!!

Malamute
# Posted: 27 Jul 2011 12:52 - Edited by: Malamute

I don't have a shower, just a clawfoot tub. Will try to get pics. I have an outhouse, tho it has running water and heat. Just wasn't room in the cabin (14x18), or a good place to be cutting into the roof to add on at the time, as it was raining every day for weeks on end. The outhouse is 8x12, and is the pantry, reloading room and bathroom. It may become the laundry room after getting the addition done on the cabin.

mgc
# Posted: 27 Jul 2011 18:41

Not too current but this is it.
Construction of shower
Construction of shower
IMG_1671.JPG
IMG_1671.JPG
IMG_1645.JPG
IMG_1645.JPG
Shower is in the left with the red door
Shower is in the left with the red door

Dornblaser
# Posted: 28 Jul 2011 13:26

I am curious about the solar showers, how cold, air temperature, are they effective to? How do they work on overcast days?

Thanks.

TomChum
# Posted: 17 Aug 2011 00:41 - Edited by: TomChum

On an overcast day you will have to heat water on the stove and pour it in. You need about 2 gallons of 95degreeF water to take a shower. 3 gallons is better, 5 gallons is decadent.

It's worthwhile to get setup with a thermometer that you can check the water temp with. If the water's too hot, then you avoid running it and you still get "cold".

What outside temp? Hard to say. If there's any wind it gets cold. An enclosure would help a lot.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 17 Aug 2011 13:18

We recently upgraded our shower from a 5gal solar bag to an Eccotemp L5 with an RV pump for pressure.

It works great, instant hot water for showers and dishes.

I was finding that by the time I was able to take a shower the water in the solar bag had cooled off quite a bit.

trollbridge
# Posted: 17 Aug 2011 22:51

mgc... I like your shower. This is very similar to what we are thinking about doing-though it will have to wait til next summer. I am assuming that the other tower in your picture is your water containment system. Do I see your gutters going to the tank? Do you have more pics? How does this work for you? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

beulahfarkward
# Posted: 20 Aug 2011 21:10

mgc I too love the shower. Can you please share details?

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 20 Aug 2011 21:59

Here is our shower. Built with letovers from the cabin.
Shower with dressing room
Shower with dressing room

mgc
# Posted: 25 Aug 2011 06:05

Sorry for the delayed reply. The shower is fed water from the tank, to an RV pump and accumulator (12 volt), then to shower head. Simply turn on shower and bathe. Also in the shower stall is a second hose type outlet, this is for the fall and winter, to hook up the Eco-Temp water heater, even when the weather is in the 80's, the water is cold to bathe in, we hook up the water heater and life is grand! Pump is battery powered by deep cycle marine battery, fed by 45 watt solar panels, those are located back to the right of house, not in the picture. The water tank is elevated about 5 feet, it is simply a 300 gal. tote (plastic tank, surrounded by an alum. cage) that we covered with tin, the top is treated plywood with a hole for the gutter to enter. We covered the tank because algae will form if light hits the water, that's why white or clear water tanks are not so good. We used a white tank for 15 years at another off grid house we had and constantly had to add bleach. No light reaches our tank now so no bleach needed. The only reason the tank is elevated is because we don't always need pressurized water, sometimes just to fill buckets etc.. I'm sorry for this very long winded answer for such a simple water system. Oh, shower is made to be portable, I have moved it since these photos were taken, there is a small seat inside to make dressing easier. The door is closed by the exterior weight and rope, my neighbor and I had a couple of beers and that idea was born.

mgc
# Posted: 25 Aug 2011 06:12

Shower is now on the right.
photo9.JPG
photo9.JPG
DSC00708.JPG
DSC00708.JPG

craigeyboy
# Posted: 25 Aug 2011 19:50

This is the absolute coolest house ever, who helped you built it?

trollbridge
# Posted: 25 Aug 2011 22:05

Thanks mgc- we were planning the exact kind of set up. We even have the same 300 gallon tank-clear with a metal cage around it. It is good to see pictures cause when I look at this tank just sittin there it looks HUGE but to see it in your pics it looks great. On your gutters do you have a diverter or any filters? Thanks for the info.

Your cabin is really cool. I love how tall it is!

herry1
# Posted: 30 Aug 2011 05:43

mgc I like your shower.Your shower look very beautiful.
Thanks for share the detail.

toddheyn
# Posted: 30 Aug 2011 06:28

We just got back from spending two weeks at our cabin in Northern NYS. The main project for this trip was the installation of our outhouse/shower. Hope you enjoy the photos:

. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.