Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Northern wisconsin cabin
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 33 . 34 . >>
trollbridge
# Posted: 21 Nov 2011 23:26 - Edited by: trollbridge

Hey Bevis! Yep, the barn boards are board and batten. We will use the same boards for window trim and beams for the ceiling in the bedroom. Then the twin bed gets kicked out and the queen bed moves in and it becomes OUR bedroom instead of a "storage space" for building supplies and tools which is what it more or less has been(with a single bed too cause Mr. Trollbridge felt the need to sleep in there one night!)

The "chinked" boards are really rough sawn wood about an inch thick that we either cut a narrower groove into or added a narrower piece of wood in between boards to create a recessed area which we then caulked and painted with sanded paint in order to create a "faux" chinked wood look. It looks pretty stripey when done but by the time things are hung on the walls I think it should look cool!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 Nov 2011 05:58

looks GREAT!!!!!

trollbridge
# Posted: 22 Nov 2011 12:58

Thanks Turkeyhunter! Hope your place is coming along nicely!

Happy overeating to everyone this coming Thanksgiving!! May your turkeys be moist, the fixins with it- delish, the pie plentiful (there's a pumpkin shortage after all!) and the coma afterward very long and deep!!!

Oh, and if your using a turkey fryer...don't burn your garage down!!!!!

Enjoy :)

Bevis
# Posted: 22 Nov 2011 13:17

thanks trollbridge...after I asked the question last night, I began to think on how that could be done, and was thinking along the same lines as your explaination.
Cabin looks really nice. Hope your thanksgiving goes well. At last count we have 25-28 family members getting together out in the woods (our hunt camp) Its a combo of my family and my wifes family, and a few single family friends that have no family in the area to share with.

trollbridge
# Posted: 22 Nov 2011 14:34

You are so lucky you get to do thanksgiving at your hunting camp! We would like to be able to do that someday. You have a crowd to feed too! We have our 9 children and their 3 spouses, one boyfriend, one college friend who can't get to her home, a recently divorced friend of ours, my daughter in laws father and brother, my brother and his 3 kids(his wife goes to her parents...strange, I know), then my mother and my other brother, plus our 2 grandchildren. I think I have everyone!! We will do 3 turkeys-a big one in my roaster and 2 in turkey fryers-that way I have my oven free for other yummy stuff!

Do you all stay at your camp or go for just the day? We will head to our cabin with some family on Saturday. Mr.Trollbridge had a job he just couldn't turn away. Gotta work when the work is there these days!

Bevis
# Posted: 23 Nov 2011 11:39

I'm going for the day, as I have to work agian friday...I kinda screwed myself by scheduling some OT and not looking at my schedule before taking shifts.
I'm possible going to build myself a cabin out there, so I can just go there and enjoy myself.

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Nov 2011 22:48

Is the land owned by your family? You should build your own cabin-it'll be fun:) Where in SW Florida do you live? And where is the hunting camp? What do you hunt for in Florida? Wild boars? Alligators? Just curious. My mother lives in Cape Haze, by Englewood. We have vacationed a lot on Fort Myers Beach, but have not been down since December 2004-miss it. Have fun relaxing when you can over the next few days.

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 24 Nov 2011 07:31

I had to read through all your posts again. The cabin looks so big (bigger than 24 x 26). Maybe, it's the height.... I love the looks of the whole thing: my favorite is the kitchen cabinet with the chicken wire.

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Nov 2011 15:47

Thanks! I think you are right...the added height does make it seem roomier.

We were able to go up this weekend with my brother and his 3 kids and my mother. We had a great time. The kids stayed so busy running around playing. It rained all day Saturday until after dark. We took the kids to see the christmas light display and to dinner and then hit a mini blizzard on the drive home-we thought about going back to the cabin for another night( which I would have loved) but my brother had to be back to our house to pack and drive home early the next morning to his place so we kept driving and drove out of the snow ban eventually. I'll post pics from the weekend when I get a chance.

Hope everyone got their fill of family, turkey and fixins on Thanksgiving!

Montanan
# Posted: 29 Nov 2011 16:02

Your place looks spectacular- what a winter wonderland!!! Congrats on getting the railing done. Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving. What an adventure with the mini-blizzard. Happy that you are home safely. I am anxious to see the weekend photos.

trollbridge
# Posted: 1 Dec 2011 22:10 - Edited by: trollbridge

Ok-finally no more house guest.....15 days out of November. I enjoyed it but it's time to get back to a normal household!

When we went to the cabin last weekend all the kids had a blast! They found some unmelted snow for a snowball fight, caught trout at the creek, found mushrooms, popped sap pustules on the trees(this intrigued them for a long time in the rain), built a fort, whittled branches for walking sticks, played many games of hide and seek, spoons....................and slept really well!!!! They enjoyed the Christmas light display( largest in the midwest & my pictures don't do it justice). I was VERY impressed and all for free with cookies, cocoa, popcorn and marshmallows to roast all complimentary! I would love to take my 2 year old granddaughter there!

We got a little work done-the last railing built and ground fault interrupters installed to meet code. I got our bedroom walls "chinked" too.

One thing we need to come up with is a solution for a hanging rack of some sort for wet coats/boots/mittens and such. The kids had multiple items all soaking wet from rain that we draped over ladders to dry but a better system by the wood stove is out there I know! Have to think of a solution for that soon.
girls fort!
girls fort!
cheers to hot cocoa
cheers to hot cocoa
making walking sticks-my brother and niece
making walking sticks-my brother and niece

trollbridge
# Posted: 1 Dec 2011 22:15

more pics
100_7411.JPG
100_7411.JPG
100_7419.JPG
100_7419.JPG

dk1393
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 07:09 - Edited by: dk1393

We bought a retractable cloth line from Lehmans. It works good and is not in the way when not needed
thumb2.jpg
thumb2.jpg

trollbridge
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 18:24

I found a pot rack on Amazon that I think would work well- would love to get 2 of them-one on each side of the stove pipe but we'll see. Been spending so much $$$ on the cabin it is hard to justify right now.

Bevis
# Posted: 3 Dec 2011 23:17

trollbridge...no the land is not owned by family. We are in on a big lease from a club. Anything built, has to me able to be moved if need be. I live in a small country town of Moore Haven. Ft Myers is SW of me by about 50-60miles (or 1 hr.)
We hunt wild hogs with dogs, and catch them by hand... Deer... Turkey... {looks around} gator some time {looks around agian} lol...
I'll be building a cabin out there, will have it on skids, maybe elevate it so I could back a long trailer under it.

hattie
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 00:43 - Edited by: hattie

Quoting: trollbridge
One thing we need to come up with is a solution for a hanging rack of some sort for wet coats/boots/mittens and such.

Hubby built this rack out of PVC Pipes. It is extremely strong and can hold soaking wet winter coats without bending. I use it weekly to dry our laundry on. I drape clothes over the pipes and also hang clothes on wooden hangers from the pipes to hold a LOT of laundry.
Drying Rack Down
Drying Rack Down
Drying Rack Up
Drying Rack Up

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 09:10

How does your rack move up and down Hattie? That is what I want to be able to do too-except would it get too hot for PVC? I would like to have some sort of a pulley that raised and lowered it. Your laundry room looks like a very efficient use of space BTW!

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 09:16

Bevis...You catch the wild hogs by hand??? Wow! Aren't they pretty HUGE sometimes? That would be interesting to watch!

Sounds like you will build your cabin the way people here build ice fishing shacks. I think my sons is 8x12 and he just pops it onto a trailer he made for it. Transports pretty easily. I should try to get pictures from him.

Bevis
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 13:11

well dogs latch onto, or "bay" them up (keep them busy) till we can grab ahold of thier rear legs and flip them.

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Dec 2011 20:57

Bevis- Do people eat wild boars or no? If so, do they taste much different than farm raised pigs or is bacon bacon?

hattie
# Posted: 5 Dec 2011 21:09

Quoting: trollbridge
How does your rack move up and down Hattie? That is what I want to be able to do too-except would it get too hot for PVC? I would like to have some sort of a pulley that raised and lowered it. Your laundry room looks like a very efficient use of space BTW!

Thanks trollbridge...Here are some close-up pictures Hubby just took for you. I did laundry this morning so excuse the laundry on it. *LOL*

I just asked Hubby about your question about getting too hot and he said "PVC pipe is good for the hottest water from a hot water tank. If it gets too hot for that, then it is probably too hot for your clothes too."

The rack is just pulled up and down by a rope that it hangs from and put on hooks at the desired level (up or down). We don't use pulleys because that would take additional height. We wanted to be able to walk underneath it when it was up. Instead, we used eye bolts. I usually have the rack down when I have laundry on it because we have a heater just behind it that does a great job drying things. When I need to use the laundry room for other things, I raise up the rack. It can be heavy to raise when it is loaded with laundry but if I get Hubby to help, we can get it up and out of the way.

In the photos, the ceiling attachments (screw eyes into joists) are circled in yellow, the lower hook is circled in red and the upper hook is circled in blue. There is just a loop in the end of the rope that hooks over the hooks on the wall.
Rack_and_Lower_Hook..jpg
Rack_and_Lower_Hook..jpg
Ropes.JPG
Ropes.JPG
Upper_Hook.JPG
Upper_Hook.JPG

trollbridge
# Posted: 6 Dec 2011 13:55

Thank you Hattie for taking the time to post pictures and all. I guess your husband is right...if it's too hot for the PVC than it probably would be too hot for the clothes too :P Duh, I guess I didn't think that one all the way through!! Mr. Trollbridge wants to put up hooks for coats/pants and a shelf for mittens and hats-we shall see. At this time of year I always feel like winter will be darn near over by the time we are able to get back up. We have stuff going on every weekend into Christmas but maybe we will be able to get away for just a day and one night. I miss being there but it is hard to justify the gas $$ for just one night.

I am thinking your drying rack would actually work out very well in my home laundry room---I always run out of space on my one short hanging pole. How long would you say it is?

hattie
# Posted: 6 Dec 2011 18:08

You are welcome trollbridge. Our rack is 51 1/2 inches long. The pieces of tubing are 43 inches. It is made from 3/4 inch PVC pipe. It is 25 1/2 inches wide. Hubby said if you make it too long it would be too difficult to raise and lower and it will be too flexible.

Tim
# Posted: 7 Dec 2011 21:50 - Edited by: Tim

Quoting: Bevis
Is the barn boards done like a board and baten

They call that style "board on board" instead of board and batton. It looks great troll! I finely took the time to check all your interior pics. I got some great inspiration from your pictures. Very nice job!
Tim

trollbridge
# Posted: 8 Dec 2011 10:19

Thanks Tim! Board on board-good to know that is what it is called!

Montanan
# Posted: 8 Dec 2011 14:20

Great brainstorming ideas for ways to hang/dry wet clothes. We have the same issue. I like the idea of the retracting clothes line. We might also just put pegs on the walls on both sides of the wood stove.

Great photos and it sounds like you had a wonderful time with all of the children.

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Dec 2011 09:44

Going up this weekend to celebrate New Years. The only thing that will stop us is if our new grandson arrives! We are officially on "baby watch". Mom is dilated at 1 and seems to be holding for now. "Our" doctor is going out of town on the 5th...so the baby has to arrive before then! LOL!

wakeslayer
# Posted: 3 Jan 2012 16:46

Love your place, Trollbridge !!

The bridge, the big new cabin! The saw blades on the post! The dormer windows on the outhouse. Very nice work.

Mike

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Jan 2012 21:35

Thanks wakeslayer...but what I want is an outdoor shower like yours!!! So cool! I was thinking about it as I was standing outside by the generator...hair dryer going and catching snowflakes on my tongue this past weekend :-)

We were under a "winter storm warning" that really didn't amount to much snow although the winds did howl and the temps dropped below zero. New years eve we went to dinner on Canal Park in Duluth which is always a fun place to be...right on Lake Superior. Little Angie's was the chosen place to eat this time. After getting back to the cabin we watched a movie and played games while waiting for the New Year to arrive..We had a lot of good laughs and it was fun to have our #2 son, his wife and grandson there at the cabin. They had not been up since Memorial Day weekend so they got to see all of our hard work!

We worked on putting up that beadboard ceiling. Kinda a one person job and took longer than I thought it would. We put up 1x3 strapping to span the joist and then the boards were tongue and groove. Glad that we got as much done as we did. We also framed out the closet door under the stairs.

Other than almost falling down the stairs during the night it was a good weekend! Here are some pictures:
Our bedroom
Our bedroom
ceiling
ceiling
ceiling farther along
ceiling farther along

trollbridge
# Posted: 4 Jan 2012 21:38

more pics from the weekend...
our grandson
our grandson
New Years Eve
New Years Eve
daughter in law and grandson
daughter in law and grandson
bridge
bridge

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 33 . 34 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.