Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Northern wisconsin cabin
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 33 . 34 . >>
ErinsMom
# Posted: 5 Jan 2012 20:21

You have a fine looking family.... You are blessed.

trollbridge
# Posted: 5 Jan 2012 20:25

Thank you ErinsMom.
I count my blessings everyday...I have been truely blessed :-)

One more grandson will be here soon...I pray he is healthy and strong and his mom has an easy delivery!

bhebby
# Posted: 7 Jan 2012 22:50

trolll bridge where did you source the outhouse holding tank?

trollbridge
# Posted: 7 Jan 2012 23:02

We ordered it through a plumber up where our cabin is(he was recommended by the zoning guy) But he got it from a company in Wisconsin that makes these fiberglass all in one holding tanks with built in toilet. I can't remember their name but can find out when Mr. Troll gets back tomorrow. We paid 750.00 but really, really like it!

How's your place coming along?

trollbridge
# Posted: 8 Jan 2012 00:08

Greg Young Plumbing in Superior. When we ordered from him he placed the order to Kittlesons in Rice Lake,Wi. The make them as the orders come in as sort of a side business. Don't know if they would ship to you or not but hope the information is useful.

trollbridge
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 21:42

Here's what got done at the cabin this past weekend:
got the wood up on the wall in the loft.
got the wood up on the wall in the loft.
wood in loft
wood in loft
wood done to match the living room
wood done to match the living room
view coming down the stairs towards kitchen
view coming down the stairs towards kitchen

trollbridge
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 21:45

pictures showing ceiling in dining room and kitchen installed
there will be a stone/log archway here
there will be a stone/log archway here
100_7490.JPG
100_7490.JPG
100_7487.JPG
100_7487.JPG
100_7488.JPG
100_7488.JPG

wakeslayer
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 22:29 - Edited by: wakeslayer

So awesome !!

I love the saw blades. Ceiling and walls look great.

old buddy
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 22:51

The place is looking great!

trollbridge
# Posted: 10 Jan 2012 08:03

Thanks guys. The saw blade downstairs we haven't decided yet if we will leave it down like it is(only straighten) or push it all the way up to the ceiling. Got any opinion on that?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 10 Jan 2012 08:20

your cabin looks great---like the blade as well- Lot's of hard work----but in the end---it's worth it!!!!! :-)

trollbridge
# Posted: 10 Jan 2012 08:21

Thanks turkeyhunter-it is worth it!

oldbuddy
# Posted: 13 Jan 2012 22:41

I wouldn't touch the saw blade. I think it was very ingenious on your part. It looks great! It looks better "not straight." My personal opinion....of course. Old Old Buddy

trollbridge
# Posted: 13 Jan 2012 22:45

Thanks Old Old Buddy.

It never even crossed my mind to leave it crooked! We always say it is hard to make things look imperfect and old in the cabin...our minds have a hard time thinking that way but that is the look we are trying to pull off.

Saw your place is coming along nicely...good to have insulation huh?

oldbuddy
# Posted: 14 Jan 2012 19:33

trollbridge
Yea....the insulation is definitely a plus...but knowing how to keep the cabin the correct temp is going to be tricky...at best! It just seems to be a learning process.....all the time. I doubt that we would be leaving all four of the windows "open all the way" during this week-end. I like the idea of the green-log going on at night. I never thought of that but it makes perfect sense. I believe I could probably drive all the way to the top in my pickup tomorrow since the ground is frozen pretty good. We'll see. Talk to you later.

Old Old Buddy

trollbridge
# Posted: 14 Jan 2012 19:48

Hi Old Old Buddy'

It is hard to keep a steady temp in a small cabin isn't it? We always had trouble in our bunkhouse too...lucky for me the problem was always that it was too hot. I would rather be warm than cold. This is where Mr. Troll and I tend to disagree...especially in the car! I'm wanting heat and he's not! In our main cabin we just keep a pretty steady fire going and the stove does fine. The problem we have right now though is that we are constantly opening the door and shutting the door coming in and out to make cuts with the table saw or chop saw.

It will be nice with the frozen ground to get to drive all the way up your hill to your cabin. I hope in the spring time your driveway stays firm too. Your land is so beautiful... the one thing I would not mind having at ours is some hills. Our home sits on the side of a hill and we have a pretty view so that makes up for it I guess and sometimes in our climate it is just easier to not have hills.

Have a great time at your cabin tomorrow :)

oldbuddy
# Posted: 15 Jan 2012 16:46

The road will not be suitable to drive the truck on until May sometime....as long as we don't get too much rain the three or four days just before we attempt to go up it. It's pretty good June through October but come November.....it's getting pretty nasty.

It would cost a fortune to slag it or put stone down so we'll just keep using the four-wheeler until we can drive the truck up. It isn't a big deal, using the four-wheeler, but it is a lot "warmer" going up in the truck. Ha.

I guess Old Buddy and I are going up in the morning instead of today. We'll change batteries in the camera and feeder. Maybe we'll leave some corn while we're there. The deer could sure use it. We'll probably stay long enough for a nice fire (couple hours) and then head down.

I had a nice walk through the woods last week-end and it is beautiful looking at all the trees and hills and of course, the rock high-wall. I really enjoyed just walking and watching all the wildlife running ahead of me (deer, squirrels, etc). I'll have to take a few pictures of our lower high-wall that parallels the county road of the property. It's about 600 feet below the cabin elevation but it's really quite beautiful.

Well....the Giants/Packers game is coming on so I'll retire to the living room with my wife. Keep in touch.

Old Old Buddy

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Jan 2012 18:03

So tell me who you are rooting for? Packers I hope! It's almost half time and the Giants are up.

trollbridge
# Posted: 15 Jan 2012 20:29

Shoot...Packers lose. Bummer.

Quoting: oldbuddy
I had a nice walk through the woods last week-end and it is beautiful looking at all the trees and hills and of course, the rock high-wall. I really enjoyed just walking and watching all the wildlife running ahead of me (deer, squirrels, etc). I'll have to take a few pictures of our lower high-wall that parallels the county road of the property. It's about 600 feet below the cabin elevation but it's really quite beautiful.

Yes your high wall is really cool. Too bad Old Buddy didn't get the big buck...something to look forward to next hunting season :)

LakeSuperior5
# Posted: 16 Jan 2012 10:41

Photo's look great! I can't wait until we have insulation and the heat set-up. So Jealous!

trollbridge
# Posted: 16 Jan 2012 11:37

Thank you! You will get there soon...I remember feeling the same way!

It does feel so good to be where we are at. There is still tons to get done, but to be able to devote all our energy right now to interior stuff is awesome. The day I get to haul everything up there that I have bought for the cabin in terms of decorating will be an incredible day! I've had stuff stored away for so long now that I frankly don't remember it all. I will be like a kid on Christmas Day when I get to unpack it...I can't wait!

Have you been actively collecting stuff for your cabin too?

Montanan
# Posted: 16 Jan 2012 23:49

Wow- LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the beadboard ceiling!! And your loft walls are fabulous. I like the pendant light in the kitchen. Do you have more overhead lighting in the kitchen? Or just the pendant and the other bulb I see? I am somewhat obsessed with lighting. The husband has finally started to refuse to install all of the fixtures I have purchased. But we still have 3 copper pendants that need to go over the bar and a track system for the bathroom that MUST get done.

LakeSuperior5
# Posted: 17 Jan 2012 10:51

The day (night) we get to sleep in the Shabin will be Christmas. I have tried very hard not to purchase to many decorating items however people seem to have them on our gift lists as they find rustic or cabin items and buy them for us. I did buy a sewing machine and hope to learn how to use it and make curtains soon.

Currently shopping for lights. Everything looks so modern and I want more rustic. 12 volt LED required. If only we had real power...

trollbridge
# Posted: 17 Jan 2012 11:45 - Edited by: trollbridge

Quoting: LakeSuperior5
Currently shopping for lights. Everything looks so modern and I want more rustic. 12 volt LED required. If only we had real power...

Wish we had electricity too-oh well, that's not gonna happen anytime soon. When we wired our cabin we did it so that we could use either 12 volt or regular off the generator. In our bunkhouse we used all battery power and we converted something or other so that our regular lamps and fixtures worked. I can't recall cause I didn't pay that much attention...I just told my husband "we need light!". lol.I'll have to ask him, that way you could use any light fixture you want with the bulbs you need. It has been fun figuring out our light fixtures and I can't wait till we get them installed!

So you have not slept at your cabin yet? Or do you mean really sleep there...when it is done?

I'm sure you are hoping for a short winter so you can keep working. Do you have to have your cabin done in a certain amount of time before you would need to apply for an extension? We had 2 years for the outside to be complete.

Have a great day...stay warm :)

trollbridge
# Posted: 17 Jan 2012 12:00 - Edited by: trollbridge

Quoting: Montanan
Do you have more overhead lighting in the kitchen? Or just the pendant and the other bulb I see?

Hi Montanan...interesting that you mention that cause me and Mr. Troll always disagree on the amount of light we need. He's thinking about generator power and I'm thinking convenience. For now that is all the overhead lighting but I may add something over the stove- though it will be more difficult with the ceiling up. I do have a small lamp that in my head was going in the corner of the counter and I will be looking into under cabinet lights too. The pendant lamp in the kitchen we made. Can you guess what we used? It was dirt cheap! That is your clue. lol! Some of our light fixtures I'm not totally sure where we will be putting them or even if using them at all. It is fun to finally be getting closer though!

When will you get up again? Looks like a lot of snow coming your way today and tomorrow. Should be good for skiing.

I saw that your appraisal went very well :) Good to already have some equity built up...but more than you thought is even better, right?

LakeSuperior5
# Posted: 20 Jan 2012 15:26

I have a feeling we will be using more light than we currently thing we will. We do not sleep in the Shabin yet as we have a very old airstream like camper that we are using. Easier to not have to sleep in the construction zone.

Currently we do not need an extension. My husband talked with the tax man who stopped by. We have enough of it done that now they just consider it a work in progress.

I believe my husband will be watching/searching for information on wiring for 12V and regular. It would be helpful to not have to purchase all 12V.

A little snow today falling. Might need to think about a trip up soon to shovel the deck. A good problem to have..

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 23:01

New grandson born for us this past Friday...so exciting! 8lbs 5oz and 22" long! He is adorable and definitely a keeper!!!!

Bevis
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 23:21

Congrats on the grandson granny...

In my cabin I had some rope lights mounted under the cabinets

Montanan
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 23:55

Congratulations on your new grandson!!

Tim
# Posted: 24 Jan 2012 05:27

Congrats troll! A new use for a loft!! :-)

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 33 . 34 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.