Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 16x28 Ulrich shell to become cabin in the woods
. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
Purplerules
# Posted: 29 Dec 2012 17:11

Our cabin dreams begin.
We purchased 3 acrea of wooded lots back in Sept. began clearing out a spot for the cabin shell to be placed.
Only had to fell two trees. Yeah.
Decide to go this route so we would have a shelter on the property to stay in as we do the work. Rather than build from the ground up.
We have been very pleased with our purchase. The company was great to work with.
I will post pics as soon as i figure out how to size them down for this site to accept.

I have enjoyed reading everyones post here and all the ideas!

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 Dec 2012 17:28

Welcome Purplerules!

Congratulations on purchasing your land and your cabin shell. I look forward to seeing your pics

Nirky
# Posted: 30 Dec 2012 03:32

Purplerules, if you don't have any image editing software, this website will allow you to upload & then edit/resize any image on your computer:

http://www.online-image-editor.com/

Not the best solution, I like Photoshop or at least Photoshop Elements, but that site will work in a pinch. Looking forward to viewing your shell.

Purplerules
# Posted: 2 Jan 2013 22:37

test
our land
our land

hakalugi
# Posted: 3 Jan 2013 00:42

also, try http://www.getpaint.net/ it's like photoshop elements and free

what's an "ulrich shell" ?

Purplerules
# Posted: 3 Jan 2013 17:04

This a test as I am learning how to post pics
Electric pole delivered
Electric pole delivered

Purplerules
# Posted: 3 Jan 2013 17:06

It is just a brand like Leeland or Derksen

Purplerules
# Posted: 3 Jan 2013 22:15

This is what we had done bit by bit so we can enjoy it as we complete the inside. Since we got this at the end of the summer it has been fun watching the land go from lush to kind of barren. Lots of birds, rabbits, deer, turtles & spiders.
cabin on wheels being delivered
cabin on wheels being delivered
Set up
Set up
Temporary shower
Temporary shower
outdoors
outdoors

Purplerules
# Posted: 3 Jan 2013 22:53

Each trip down is making it easier to enjoy. We are always finding excuses to go to the cabin. We just love it, so quite, so peaceful.
Digging trench for water & elec.
Digging trench for water & elec.
1st kitchen outdoors
1st kitchen outdoors
Settling in, brush cleared out some
Settling in, brush cleared out some

hattie
# Posted: 4 Jan 2013 00:32

Welcome to the forum Purplerules. Your place is looking great! It looks like a very pretty setting as well.

Purplerules
# Posted: 5 Jan 2013 16:04

We did not actually have Christmas at the cabin, but went down a few days before and kind of had a mini Christmas, since this was the first year with the cabin could not resist it!
A little bit of Christmas
A little bit of Christmas

Purplerules
# Posted: 7 Jan 2013 23:53

We will be heading to the cabin this coming weekend. Going to work on the grey water system and put in the composting toliet.
I will try to take some update pictures.

BigDuke6
# Posted: 8 Jan 2013 12:27

Nice! Very creative on the shower. I see you have an EccoTemp on demand shower device. How do you like it? And, what do you use for water on your property?
Looking forward to lots of updates.

Purplerules
# Posted: 8 Jan 2013 18:29

We were lucky enough to be located close to a small community of about 20 houses on the lake that we could tie into their well water for a yearly fee.
So we just piped it to our land from the road. We can see the lake through the trees from our property, but it is not on the lake.

Found a few more pictures
Temporary Kitchen #2
Temporary Kitchen #2

Purplerules
# Posted: 8 Jan 2013 18:33 - Edited by: Purplerules

As you can see we do not have it in the cabin yet. Just up to the outside. And yes we love our EcoTemp shower. I can only go one day on the property before I feel so gritty that a shower is just the thing needed. So even though it is outside and in a bathing suit it makes the stay oh so more pleasant.

Purplerules
# Posted: 12 Jan 2013 00:40

A little bit sad, we were going to the cabin this weekend, but my hubbies mom took a fall, so we need to stick around in case she needs us. Luckly she is ok but just a bit shaken.

Those of you who are at your cabin this weekend enjoy it for me!

Purplerules
# Posted: 18 Jan 2013 00:18

Ok, we are going to try it again, to the cabin we go....
Hoping to get some small projects done. So we can focus on getting the insulation done before the warm weather gets here. We only got our land and cabin late in the season last year, but on the days it was hot is was unbearable. Not sure we will be using in much in the middle of summer due to the heat. So far we have loved it alot this winter.

Purplerules
# Posted: 21 Jan 2013 23:45

After reading some of the post here on the Ecotemp and moving it indoors if the weather went below freezing, I started to worry about ours. And sure enough it was cracked. That was one of my greatest joys was being able to take a warm shower. So we had to do the washcloth bath. Not sure if we will replace or go another route.
Anyone got anything they like better????

BigDuke6
# Posted: 21 Jan 2013 23:48

Sorry to hear about your Eccotemp. Bummer. I don't have one, but have had my eye on one for quite awhile. And, since we only have running water in the summer as we draw from the lake, I figured the Eccotemp would be the most economical way to go. I am tired of feeling nasty out there after a day or two of work.

Purplerules
# Posted: 21 Jan 2013 23:54

This weekend was gorgeous at the cabin, the 3 of us did not want to come home. Here is a few pictures of the cabin and one of the projects we worked on. The kitchen and getting water inside. And the new sawdust toliet we made at home and brought up to replace porta potty.
sleeping space
sleeping space
taken downhill
taken downhill
kitchen sink
kitchen sink
sawdust toliet
sawdust toliet

Purplerules
# Posted: 21 Jan 2013 23:57

BigDuke6 - It is the way to go, but just be sure to bring it in or take it home with you if the weather drops below freezing. We loved ours.
Hubby is going to try and weld it but I am not holding my breath that it will hold.

BigDuke6
# Posted: 22 Jan 2013 00:00

The thing I like the best is that it is portable. We take everything that can freeze back in to town in mid-Sept, such as the water cooler and such. So, yup, the Eccotemp would be spending it's winter in the heated basement...LOL I am sorry to hear that it happened.

Purplerules
# Posted: 22 Jan 2013 00:02

Some pictures of the area
view of lake from porch
view of lake from porch
The Lake
The Lake
After sunset
After sunset
moon through the trees @ day
moon through the trees @ day

Purplerules
# Posted: 22 Jan 2013 00:09

Now the fun and relaxing pictures.
Dog frolicking
Dog frolicking
Hubby & granddaughter napping
Hubby & granddaughter napping

BigDuke6
# Posted: 22 Jan 2013 00:15

Nice! Where is your cabin located? Nice to be able to use it in January.

Purplerules
# Posted: 22 Jan 2013 10:19

About 150 miles south of Fort Worth.

Purplerules
# Posted: 24 Jan 2013 15:27

This is the floorplan we have decide to go with:
floorplan_003.JPG
floorplan_003.JPG

Purplerules
# Posted: 7 Feb 2013 23:01

Since purchasing the land this is the longest we have gone not going to the cabin. It will be 4 weeks, a month! I am going through withdrawl Planning on going next weekend, and the daughter and her hubby are coming. This will be their first time to see it.
No major projects planned, just finishing up on some of the little ones.

Dillio187
# Posted: 8 Feb 2013 00:00

just looking at your pictures makes me long for summer here in Minnesota. We haven't seen an unfrozen lake or anything with leaves that are green since late November!

Purplerules
# Posted: 9 Feb 2013 23:46

Dillio187, I'm sorry for whinning. Talk about withdrawal you probably have it worst then me.

Some good news DH welded the Ecotemp water heater and so far all
the testing is showing that it will hold. Ah....a shower at the cabin again.
Life is Good!

. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.