Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / 16x28 Ulrich shell to become cabin in the woods
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
Purplerules
# Posted: 27 Jan 2015 12:53 - Edited by: Purplerules

First Christmas at cottage 2014. All the family made it!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Purplerules
# Posted: 27 Jan 2015 13:01

Latest a greatest project my daughter says!

Pookie129
# Posted: 27 Jan 2015 13:42

Looks lovely and fun!

darleneandblake
# Posted: 27 Jan 2015 14:20

Purplerules

Your cabin plans are so similar to our. I would love to see pictures of the inside and am wondering if there was anything that you would change now that you had not thought of. Thanks, starting our getaway in April.

darleneandblake
# Posted: 27 Jan 2015 19:29

I didn't realize there were more pages and finally saw the inside of your cabin. I am finally excited about this April when we will start our cabin. I have to know, where did you find the silhouttes for the banisters? I love them. Im hooked on your posts and might even give it a try when we start building.

BlueBerryFarmer
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 14:57

Purplerules I had to laugh when I seen the caboos, when I bought my 9 acres it cam with a school bus from the 60's a travel trailer from the 60's and a boat with no trailer from the 80's. But it did have a log cabin from the 1800's.
The caboos would be cool though as my father-in law is retired railroad.

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 15:12

Quoting: Purplerules
About 150 miles south of Fort Worth.

Please be careful with an outdoor shower in the summer. Look it over well before you get in. I got in mine this past summer and a rattler was in it. They come to water in the hot/dry months.

I ended up buyng a shower stall from Home depot for around $160 and have been very happy with it. seems very flimsy until it is setup.

Also as for your ecotemp make sure you look at their web site for parts. They arent real expensive to replace parts in.

Purplerules
# Posted: 2 Feb 2015 15:44

darleneandblake - what size are you going for? ours is 16x28 but inside is 16x24. I think if I had to do it over again I would have like the inside to be the 16x28 size with the 4 ft porch so over all it would be a 16x32. Just would have given us a bit more room. Once we put the loft up and the bedroom and bathroom space in it did not leave as much room for the living and table area as I would have liked.
Please once you get started do set up a members project of yours it has been so rewarding to go back and look at the different stages. post lots of before and after photos,
Best of luck on your journey!
The iron inserts were ordered from Menards.com

Purplerules
# Posted: 2 Feb 2015 15:52

BlueBerryFarmer - What condition was that log cabin? Any chance you can bring it back to life or at least use some of it in a new build?
We are itching to start on the caboose but it have to wait for a few years until retirement. We still have to complete the cabin.
I am trying to ID the caboose and so far I think it is in the 1920-1930 wooden caboose. The internet has had limited amount of information. Once the railroads started selling them off they really did not have a system that keep track were they all ended up.
Does your father-in-law have any ideas where I could look for information?

Purplerules
# Posted: 2 Feb 2015 16:06

LastOutlaw - Thanks for the heads up on the shower. We always look first. So far no snakes, but we did find a scorpion or two.
Thanks for the parts advice as we may need them because last time we left camp we failed to put Eccotemp up and it was left out side and I think the temp has dropped below 30 twice.

darleneandblake
# Posted: 2 Feb 2015 20:15

Thanks for responding to my post. We have been buying up small items as we find them in junk stores and having so much fun planning. I knew what I wanted, but until I saw your interior wasn't sure it would happen. We are planning on a 16x32 on my husbands old family farm up in a small cove. Actually nicknamed Mule Hollow by his dad when they were kids. I think the name sticks. There have been many items from the Old home place that we can use in the cabin, I cannot wait to get started on this project. We have deer, turkey, coons, rabbits, elk and bear in our woods, should be an interesting build. I will try to set up a Journey Journal on here once we break ground. Love the ideas.

BlueBerryFarmer
# Posted: 3 Feb 2015 13:49

Purplerules

the plan if we can restore the cabin is to put in a foundation next to the new cabin and attach it and use it as a studio. the wall that had to fireplace is gone which works perfect in our plane. the rest of cabin is intact. the cabin was a bedroom of the old farm house we had to tear down. we heard from the neighbors there was a cabin there but nobody knew where it was or if it was true, well we found it when the house came down.
will be Starting my own post on here soon so will have Pic's.

BlueBerryFarmer
# Posted: 3 Feb 2015 13:52

I will ask my Father-In-Law what Info he might have or maybe a place to look.

Purplerules
# Posted: 4 Feb 2015 09:41

BlueBF - wow that was a exciting find. That will be so cool to use it in your new design. look forward to seeing the pictures.

darleneandblake
# Posted: 13 Feb 2015 17:53

If I knew how to post pictures, I would post my recent purchase for our future cabin. A beautiful country stove.
stove
stove

Purplerules
# Posted: 14 Feb 2015 07:26

That's a beauty!!

Purplerules
# Posted: 19 Mar 2015 00:44

This past weekend we finally turned our attention back to the cabin and worked on completing indoor shower. We were lucky to find a shower pan on clearance for $58. After the one I found by the road did not work out after all. Weekend after next we plan on staying in the cabin so we can work on getting the little things finished. I will try to remember to take some pics and post.
Hope all are getting itchy for the spring and returning to your special places!

Purplerules
# Posted: 8 Apr 2015 23:34

Update after cabin stay- we completed the indoor shower. Check it out.
And worked on granddaughters treehouse.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Treehouse so far
Treehouse so far
Chillin
Chillin

darleneandblake
# Posted: 17 Apr 2015 23:34

It's been a long cold winter but Spring is bursting thru in the morning. We finally broke ground and in three days have a floor, starting next week on the walls if the rain will hold off. Been a wet Spring so far. I will post some pictres in the future, and I am making a Journey Journal of our build. Can't wait to spend the first night in our cabin.

NotoriousAPP
# Posted: 19 Apr 2015 23:58

Hi guys. How is that pipe and fitting working to hold up the shower curtain? Is it pretty stable or do you have to be careful with how rough it's handled? I also have a neo-angle shower base so I was looking for ways to avoid a $500-$900 neo angle door. I will probably steal your idea for the corrugated walls, wall kits are ridiculously priced for these showers.

Purplerules
# Posted: 26 Apr 2015 11:30

Darl - that is so exciting, was reflecting on our beginning and there is nothing like the first night you stay in your build. Take pictures of you all laid out in it to remember it.

NAPP - rod is working great. Like you we could no see spending well over $1000. Going the big box store way Just for a shower in a weekend cabin. Please copy it is a good looking set up. We copied about 2 to 3 other people and mixed it to come up with ours. But the piping, shower head assembly, and shower curtain rod my DH came up with. Total cost $150 to 200.

NotoriousAPP
# Posted: 26 Apr 2015 23:12

Thanks for the info on the shower, I'm 90% sure I'll go the same route.

Have you seen the updates to my cabin? It's finally coming together and looking beautiful.

darleneandblake
# Posted: 25 May 2015 19:25

We have a cabin. Today was spent putting beams in. Done in Walnut. Getting wired this week for power. Looking forward to first night in cabin.

Purplerules
# Posted: 1 Jun 2015 23:29

NAPP - yes, I did take a stroll over to your member page to see the changes

Darlene&b - oh happy day the cabin is a go. Enjoy

Purplerules
# Posted: 1 Jun 2015 23:31

This is what we found at the cabin after last weeks storms.
We were so lucky it did not fall on the roof.
Twisted totally around
Twisted totally around
image.jpg
image.jpg

darleneandblake
# Posted: 5 Jul 2015 20:37

We spent our first night in our cabin. It is almost complete but still primitive enough to make us appreciate what we have at home. Can't wait to move in and decorate. Fall is going to be wonderful at Mule Hollow.

Purplerules
# Posted: 31 Aug 2015 09:38

Past weekend we did a few things on the cabin. I rearranged the furniture and I think this is the best fit for the space. A few before and after pics:
Kitchen Before
Kitchen Before
After
After
Dining Before
Dining Before
After
After

Purplerules
# Posted: 31 Aug 2015 09:47

More pic
Living area Before
Living area Before
After
After
View from loft Before
View from loft Before
After
After

Purplerules
# Posted: 31 Aug 2015 09:49 - Edited by: Purplerules

And
Bathroom Before
Bathroom Before
After
After
Pool Before
Pool Before
Pool after
Pool after

fickle_serendipity
# Posted: 2 Sep 2015 07:44

Your cabin looks great with the changes you made and the added decor. Love that bathroom!!!

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.