Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / New design going up.
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
OwenChristensen
# Posted: 27 Jun 2014 20:45 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

I sure found hard rock, igneous, they tell me. We spent four days chipping less than a wheelbarrow full of rock that was in our way. We never got a chip as big as a fist at any one time. I went and got a 90# jackhammer for a day and it still barely got the job done, but it did get it done after mushrooming two bits. Anyway I'm happy now, we can start the walls soon. Ate fish again for lunch.

Owen
grandchild labor
grandchild labor
jiggle belly
jiggle belly
floor
floor

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 3 Jul 2014 23:34 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

Three more days. I made a electric winch and pipe pole to raise 32' x 10' sheeted walls. we finished the floor and braced the posts.

Owen
the floor complete
the floor complete
a thirteen year old wall raiser
a thirteen year old wall raiser
two up
two up
all four
all four

Jeremy
# Posted: 6 Jul 2014 16:04

how far did you go get through the rock?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 6 Jul 2014 17:20

The bed rock was three to four feet deep. I guess I was lucky. digging deeper, I'd be wondering how far, and less there wouldn't be enough to stabilize the posts. As it was, we stacked rocks around each post, then back filled with a dirt and rock mix. They seem locked in place quite well. Here's the bracing.
beams and braces
beams and braces

Jeremy
# Posted: 7 Jul 2014 19:22

looks good. did the 6x6 sit right in the holes or did you build a cement base. I will upload pictures on my progress over the fourth. See what you think, as I ran into a lot of large river/field stone. I didnt think to hammer it out though...

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 7 Jul 2014 21:15

All my posts got on clean bedrock. The rock I had the most trouble was on the end, between my beams and as high as the lower part of the floor joists. You see we had a clear line between the three end posts. I guess we over focused on getting them in, forgetting that the beams cantilevered over a foot. On the post foot, we didn't use any cement. It might be a good idea, but hard to do on and island. I think some of the loose rock on top might be stable enough to set a post on, since they're is setting on bed. All the rocks in the way of the footing trench were small enough to be moved with the excavator, but not the big one on the end that we drilled and jackhammered. So all in all, quite lucky.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 7 Jul 2014 21:39

Owen , It looks like you have 2 X 6s screwed to your 6 x 6 posts ? What was the purpose of those if I may ask ? I will be building a small deck at my cabin hopefully this fall.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 8 Jul 2014 08:30

The extra cladding adds a little beef to them and lags the posts to the beams better than a short scab. Often posts work fine , but look light duty, they may not be necessary.

gsreimers
# Posted: 12 Jul 2014 17:49

I'm not sure if Owen's pictures did justice to the rocks he had to move to get going on my cabin. Attached are a few pictures with my wife in them for reference. Added a little seed, fertilizer and erosion control to the road in this weekend. I'm hoping to get a little grass going and with all the rain, I think it will happen.

Place is coming along, Owen and his team are doing great.
Wife_in_the_rocks.jp.jpg
Wife_in_the_rocks.jp.jpg
Wife_in_the_big_rock.jpg
Wife_in_the_big_rock.jpg
road_starting_to_was.jpg
road_starting_to_was.jpg
road_up_with_erosion.jpg
road_up_with_erosion.jpg

gsreimers
# Posted: 12 Jul 2014 17:57

Also, Owen's grandson did not catch all the bass in the lake, there is at least one more left.
Pelican_Lake_Bass.jp.jpg
Pelican_Lake_Bass.jp.jpg

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 13 Jul 2014 09:44

We haven't caught any large mouth yet. Nice fish.

It looks like a great job on erosion control.

All the Ultra decking is loaded and ready to go up this week. I hope the 24' 2x12 fir planks get here before we go up to the island, should be a heavy load.

owen

woodrow03
# Posted: 21 Jul 2014 11:56

Any updates or new photos???

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 22 Jul 2014 06:54 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

Had a tough week this last week. A sinking pontoon and a lot of heavy materials to be hauled across the lake and up the hill. We got that done , but little else. As of today the loft floor is in and we're working on the stairs this morning. The rafters are all cut , but only the one gable is up. It was 90 deg. and high humidity. I bought a 20' x 20'' aluminum plank yesterday for siding etc. That should be a big help. Now I need a shingle elevator.
Hualing 24'12'' planks
Hualing 24'12'' planks
many trips
many trips
first gable
first gable
'till dark
'till dark

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 25 Jul 2014 09:22

Good week. Build loft, raised rafters, made stairs, made most of bath house, started dormers, and caught fish.
rafters
rafters
inside
inside
looking down
looking down
bath house
bath house

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 25 Jul 2014 09:34

Here's some more. We still have to build the roof over the porch. It will have a large heavy truss for looks and strength. Having enough scaffolding has been a problem. I bought a new aluminum 20' plank on the way to the site, along with my old planks, we're still short.
Ps. I got bersiteus bad in my elbow from beating on those rocks with a sledge hammer a few weeks ago.
front
front
stairs
stairs
from back
from back
small mouth
small mouth

woodrow03
# Posted: 25 Jul 2014 13:09

Awesome work. Hope we can put you to work next spring!

Keep the updates coming. They give us ideas!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 26 Jul 2014 07:53

More about the lake itself. It's different than most here in Northern MN. The good, it has easy twice the bird life, eagles, osprey, pelicans, loons, are everywhere. As you fish, the bald eagles grab fish out of the water along side you. The lake is chalk full of fish, but although it's big, it's not very deep. Warmer than most lakes here it gets weedy. Loud at night with loon talk. There must be two hundred over the whole lake. The white pelicans look out of place to me, I don't see them on other lakes.
pelicans
pelicans

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 30 Jul 2014 21:34

Nice work
My sympathies about that rock! We went through several drills before we got our foundation in!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 2 Aug 2014 10:55

Thanks, big week. Two cabins at once. Working twenty eight feet off the ground in front was hard.
porch roof framing
porch roof framing
bunkhouse
bunkhouse
high up
high up
dormers and roof sheating
dormers and roof sheating

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 9 Aug 2014 09:20

Just a couple weeks to go! Half the roof got shingled yesterday. This week the other half and windows go in. After that siding, stairs and railings.
ridges come together
ridges come together
shingles
shingles
north half of roof
north half of roof
ready to shingle
ready to shingle

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 9 Aug 2014 09:26

The large truss to hold the porch roof was a challenge. We put a lrge water tank in the attic of the bath house too.
porch roof
porch roof
inside
inside
from loft foreward
from loft foreward
still in tents though
still in tents though

Don_P
# Posted: 9 Aug 2014 10:05

It's a nice looking design. A visit by an engineer would be a good idea before closing things up.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 9 Aug 2014 10:43

Don, you're sharp, If you're hinting about the lack of collar tie in the main span, that's coming, another decorative, but structural beam is required in the middle of the 16' open ceiling.

Owen

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 12 Aug 2014 21:48

A big day today, as the roof is all shingled. I've been sitting that job out as I've had a bad back for several days. My daughter and boyfriend have done a great job. They start boxing soffits tomorrow.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 23 Aug 2014 13:41

This week ended with windows in and 1/3 all siding on.

Owen
three
three
north wall
north wall

gsreimers
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 18:18

Owen's crew did a great job this week and got a lot done. I managed to get one side of the bunkhouse stained and some doors and doorframes painted before the weather cut my work time short. It is really starting to look like something.
Cabin Front
Cabin Front
Cabin Side
Cabin Side
Cabin With Siding
Cabin With Siding
Bunkhouse With Stain
Bunkhouse With Stain

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 19:01

Thanks, better pictures than I got. Good choice on siding. My wife wants that now and will be asking about stain, because we know best.

Owen

Shadyacres
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 19:16

Owen , what stain did you use and is that white pine or hemlock or other ? Shady Acres

creeky
# Posted: 24 Aug 2014 19:33

beautiful smallie. best fightin' fish pound for pound in fresh water. that must have been a hoot.

i was at lowes and they grieved me about osb sheathing. but that's all you've used. what size and type? can I ask?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 25 Aug 2014 08:02

Gary, the owner is doing the stain. I'm sure he will let us know. I think he likes Sherwin-Williams.

I'll be taking a couple weeks away from this job to close in two other ones close to home.

Creeky, all osb is 1/2 '' . I only use it where it will stay dry, and the floor is 3/4'' t&g coated plywood. The siding is all western red cedar.

Owen

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.