Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Our New Property and Project
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . >>
bugs
# Posted: 16 May 2011 11:56

We had great time out at the shed. The leaves have yet to come out on the trees but the buds are on the verge of exploding. Waterfowl migration is in full swing now with almost constant flocks of geese and cranes flying overhead. The warblers are back as are the various sparrows. The tree swallows are nest building including in the nest box at our outhouse. Frogs are croaking in every pond. The snakes are "canoodling", as I expect are the frogs. The beaver and their goose tenants seem to have come to an agreement about the nest rites and nesting is in full swing with the gander watching over the proceedings. The lady wife's afternoon nap was regularly interrupted by an eastern Phoebe who would fly into the porch to pick midges off the screens and sit in the rafters and sing to her. We expect we will soon see nesting materials arriving in the porch.
goose "bums"
goose "bums"
tree swallow nest
tree swallow nest
snake pair
snake pair

bugs
# Posted: 23 May 2011 09:12

We were out for another visit to the property this weekend.

On the way there is a view of a typical (over) grazed aspen woodland that we can see from the highway. It is very different from our ungrazed land and what we are trying to protect our land from.

We had our first "photo dump" from our "salt lick cam". Thanks to all the folks who suggested getting one.
over grazed aspen woods
over grazed aspen woods
salt lick A
salt lick A
salt lick B
salt lick B

bugs
# Posted: 23 May 2011 09:15

We finally completed our final(?) major project. We redid the last section of our little dock to accommodate a small seating area so we can sit there in the evenings, sipping "beverages of choice" and watch the sunset. Hopefully now we can just kick back and enjoy the place with only odd jobs to do.

The OP title is not valid anymore I guess: The property is no longer new to us but it is NEW every time we visit. Our "project(s)" of protecting the land from development, beyond making it accessible, is essentially complete and was successful judging from how much enjoyment we get out of visiting the place...."Our happy place".

Thanks to all the folks on the forum who provided such wonderful advice for all the projects. And of course, to cabinbuilder and his concept of "a small cabin" in the woods.

Cheers
bugs
dock
dock
sunset over pond
sunset over pond

bushbunkie
# Posted: 23 May 2011 10:17

Bugs,
Nice job on the little dock....could be right out of a magazine!
Has "tranquility" written all over it.
Question about your "photo cam".....where did you get it?...are they expensive?...more I see folks with pics, the more I'm thinking it could be a fun addition to the bunkie experience.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 23 May 2011 17:50

As always, nice pictures, bugs.

Q: How did you set posts for your dock? I'm planning to do something similar at my place.

bugs
# Posted: 24 May 2011 08:18

bushbunkie

This is a good review link that was suggested to me:

http://www.trailcampro.com/2010trailcamerashootout.aspx

We went with the latest version of the Bushnell Trophy Cam. I think with the cost for the camera, metal cover and lock it came to about $250 Cdn. It should be a lot fun (prior to these pix all we saw of the elk were bums crashing through the bush) and adds a bit of security.

Cabinbuilder

The dock if you can call it that is simply pairs of 6 ft and 7 ft posts pounded into the bottom about 30 in apart and about 6 ft between pairs. Then 2x4's bolted to each pair of posts with 4 in lag bolts(screws). The dock is in modules of 8 ft. Two 2x6x8 ft's are spaced 16 inch apart using 2x6 spacers screwed to them. The end spacers are about a foot in from the ends so there is a 1 ft overlap at each post pair. The 2x6's from each module are bolted together and the deck boards are screwed into the the 2x6's.

Everything is stained pt lumber.

If you wish you can add extra post pairs to increase the support and/or change the 2x4's to 2x6's.

I built the dock in modules and bolted things together so the whole dock can be dismantled if I need to take it down for repair or (re)move it. I used to make these years ago when I was a kid on the farm and they lasted many years. This one seems to be very solid and survived the winter well.

bugs
# Posted: 30 May 2011 16:27

Spent a cold showery weekend at the cabin.

Fortunately we had a clear break about midnight Fri which was also about the same time we had to visit the "facility". Low and behold the sky put on an incredible show of northern lights that even my bad camera handling could not destroy. The sky was aglow in green light to the point that it was almost lighting up the ground. The third image is actually facing somewhat south as the lights were going beyond the zenith of the sky. After about 30 minutes we went back to bed but through the window I could watch the lights start dancing. Quite a treat.
northern lights A
northern lights A
northern lights B
northern lights B
northern lights C
northern lights C
baby bunny
baby bunny

naturelover66
# Posted: 30 May 2011 16:39

Seeing the Northern Lights has been on my bucket list.......
Hopefully one day.

bugs
# Posted: 14 Jun 2011 08:40 - Edited by: bugs

Err I see in a previous post that I said "all the projects were done".... Foolish.

Last week we added a couple more shelves to the shed to improve our vertical storage space. Cleared up the table nicely and got rid of some stuff under the cots and they even don't look too tacky.

We added a third battery to our solar setup. That should let us use the amenities (electric kettle and microwave) a few more times on cloudy, cold, rainy weekends.

And, the big one, we put in another dock at our second beaver pond. It is a quiet pond well sheltered from the winds and not too buggy. It has a beaver lodge on it and an unusual bog/floating vegetation area in the center. We had a bench on the shore but it is always more enjoyable to be able to sit over the water. Well worth the effort. At least we think so.

And we got the telescope pad set up. Now all we need are clear skies and energy to stay awake long enough to use it.

And in a small cabin like ours it is important to double up and utilize all available storage space!! It has been a good year for "the game" we play. I am currently leading 6 single malts to 2 baileys.
shelves
shelves
beaver lodge pond dock
beaver lodge pond dock
telescope pad
telescope pad
"Solar" cabinet
"Solar" cabinet

bugs
# Posted: 14 Jun 2011 08:50

The birds around our yard site have really been entertaining us. The catbird must have been setting up a territory because it sang nonstop from before dawn to after dusk. What a wonderful concert.

The pheobes are nesting in our porch rafter. When we left last Sunday there were three eggs. The mrs is still not too comfortable with our weekend intrusions but hopefully she will get used to us.

There was a mass emergence of coenagrionid damselflies from the pond. We were walking through a cloud all the time alas hoard of locusts. There were so many we could hear the wings beating. A natural spectacle for us, a thrill for a bugger like me and a feast for the birds like the tree swallows.
catbird
catbird
Phoebe
Phoebe
damselflies
damselflies
treeswallow
treeswallow

bugs
# Posted: 14 Jun 2011 08:56 - Edited by: bugs

We have adjusted the trail cam a bit to try and reduce "wind" pictures .... After all "who has seen the wind"?.... and improve the metering.

Still enjoying the results of it. We are surprised at how much our salt lick is used even in the day time. It seems to be like a "salt lick roadhouse". A congregation place. Judging from the number of bull elk we have "seen" in the images it could be a noisy rut.
salt lick looking at trail cam
salt lick looking at trail cam
trail cam
trail cam
three elk
three elk
elk and deer
elk and deer

bugs
# Posted: 22 Jun 2011 07:44 - Edited by: bugs

Had a bit of excitement. We were offered the chance to purchase prior to listing the quarter section (160 acres) to the south of us. It is 130 arable (hay land) and 30 acres of bush, old farm yard (including an old house with a vulture nest) wetlands and a stream. So after some discussions we signed the deal.

Thankfully there should not be too much trail clearing and logistical issues like we had with our original 240 acre parcel. I don't think we will even consider moving our yard site to the old farm yard.

Now we know the riff raff who have crawled in beside us..... US!!! lol
our newest land
our newest land

naturelover66
# Posted: 22 Jun 2011 08:14

Congrats !!!

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 22 Jun 2011 22:52

You are blessed to have the opportunity...

hattie
# Posted: 23 Jun 2011 00:26

bugs - Congratulations!!! Now what are you going to do with all that land?! *S*

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 23 Jun 2011 06:46

congrats on the new parcel, nice having yourself as your new neighbor!!!!!........:-)

one thing about land , they are not making any more of it, buy it whn ya can. Beacuse 10 years down the road, you would have said, i wished i had bought that......

Gary O
# Posted: 23 Jun 2011 08:44

So, bugs, have you pondered the name of your new province?
'Paradis du Canard Rouge' has a nice ring to it..............

Congrats Baron Bugs!

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 Jun 2011 10:13

bugs.i always dreamed of seeing the northern lites.wow.
u have some wonderful land there and alot of it.
wow,i am amazed at all the pictures u took and all of the wildlife about.
your cabin is good too.
is that homemade bread on the cutting board ??
what kind of maintaining do u have to do on your land?
we have tons of brush to gather and cut to guard against wildfires.
i can not even take care of our almost 3 acres.
maybe your land take care of itself.
it was there before time and is still here doing ok.
u are so blessed.

neb
# Posted: 24 Jun 2011 21:47

Can't have enough of what they don't make anymore. I think it is great.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 12 Jul 2011 21:29

Wow, 160 acres is what the original homesteads where, this is now in addition to your original 240 acres!. Nice work Bugs! That is fantastic. Always enjoy your wildlife photos and captions. Never a dull thread with you.

neb
# Posted: 18 Jul 2011 22:06

looks great.

bugs
# Posted: 18 Jul 2011 22:06

Hee hee. It is all a bit of a shocker. Our neighbour is already haying the alfalfa/hay. He seemed quite pleased that we purchased the land. One part of the rental agreement is we get petting/scratching privileges of his cows and horses. We can't wait to take possession on July 30 to do a full walk about of the place.

Till then we have been biding our time enjoying our little corner.

Sadly we have been watching the destruction of an old homestead we drive by each visit. First the trees were bulldozed down and piled. Then the old house was burnt and buried. And soon this old barn will likely see the same fate. It must have been a grand sight in its prime.
sunset over glass
sunset over glass
take off
take off
old barn
old barn

neb
# Posted: 18 Jul 2011 22:07

looks great.

bugs
# Posted: 18 Jul 2011 22:10

"Our" phoebes successfully fledged four chicks from their nest in our porch last weekend. We really enjoyed watching the whole process from the male arriving early in spring and setting up the territory. To his mate arriving. The nest building and egg incubation and then the continuous feeding and "doo doo" removal (very tidy neighbours) and finally the chicks leaving the nest.
June 24
June 24
July 1
July 1
July 11
July 11

bugs
# Posted: 18 Jul 2011 22:16 - Edited by: bugs

The trail camera has been a wonderful addition to our little place. We are constantly in awe at the number of residents that pass by the salt lick we set up at the intersection between the driveway and one of the trails. The camera has caught a couple of trespassers and also a UFO which we think is a bat.
bat?
bat?
elk and calves
elk and calves
coyote
coyote
meeting place
meeting place

bugs
# Posted: 5 Aug 2011 16:31

We got a chance to explore our new "digs". We have not found any real treasures and the land needs some TLC and $$ to get it into good hay production. Maybe the treasure is in the land itself acting as a buffer for us from Sir Riff and Ms. Raff.

The main house was essentially empty except for odds and ends. Strange what people leave behind. It is structurely sound unlike the second "guest" house in the yard. In the basement there is an old wood burning furnace which must have cranked out the btu's in its hay day. Now it is a massive mouse/squirrel nest. And on a subject dear to the hearts of fellow small cabiners... a pic of the outhouse.
Main house
Main house
"Guest" house lol
"Guest" house lol
old furnace
old furnace
outhouse
outhouse

bugs
# Posted: 5 Aug 2011 16:36

The main house has lots of photo opts available in it. Thought this one of the milk pitcher in the broken window the lady wife took was very fitting.

The land has a number of wetlands and at least one beaver pond and a temporary stream that is still trickling away.

After all the exploring we did manage to get out for a paddle on our pond to enjoy the sunset.
milk pitcher
milk pitcher
beaver pond
beaver pond
looking back at RDL
looking back at RDL
golden sunset
golden sunset

bugs
# Posted: 5 Aug 2011 16:40 - Edited by: bugs

We had some nice trail cam shots at the salt lick. We have also added one at the yard site to see what/who visits.
a toonie of deer
a toonie of deer
sniff sniff
sniff sniff
scratch & sniff
scratch & sniff

mgc
# Posted: 7 Aug 2011 11:31

bugs,

Good for you! You should be very happy and excited, it looks wonderful.

hattie
# Posted: 7 Aug 2011 12:04

bugs - What a paradise you have - and SO MUCH LAND!!! WOW!! I just love that main house! What are your plans for it? I also love the photo of the milk pitcher in the window - very artsy!! How many acres do you have in total now? Can't wait to see more pictures of your place and your "visitors".

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.