Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Member's Projects and Photos / Our New Property and Project
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . >>
hattie
# Posted: 2 Oct 2015 21:35

I love the northern lights. Someday I hope to be able to see them in person. So beautiful!

bugs
# Posted: 26 Oct 2015 18:36

Hey Just: A couple of weeks after the vultures were hanging around we discovered a very well "processed" elk carcass in the bush. Likely that was keeping the vultures amused. Too bad we didn't find it earlier so we could have set up a camera.

Interestingly, two of the vultures had wing tags. One vulture was hatched just 50 km from our place and the other was hatched in eastern Alberta.
carcass
carcass
carrion beetles on the carcass
carrion beetles on the carcass

Rowjr
# Posted: 27 Oct 2015 19:17

Very nice !

bugs
# Posted: 24 Dec 2015 10:56

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
from our small cabin to yours
hoar frost deer
hoar frost deer

Just
# Posted: 24 Dec 2015 12:17

Missed your post in OCT, away I guess , odd thing about young
vultures pure white when they are chicks ! have a great winter , just
turn coats
turn coats

bugs
# Posted: 1 Apr 2016 09:11

Could be the last snowshoeing for the winter at our place. Overall a mild and dry winter.
deer
deer
lane
lane
pond
pond
chairs
chairs

Just
# Posted: 7 May 2016 14:38

Hope bugs is safe , fire heading his way.. let us know bugs ?

bugs
# Posted: 10 May 2016 17:09

Hey Just
Thanks for your concern but the Fort McMurry fires and the one moving into SK are over 300 miles from us. All we had was a couple of smokey days....thankfully. And it was not as bad as last year when the fires less than 60 miles from us. Can not imagine what the people in Fort Mc are dealing with. Images are terrible and scary. But it looks like things are improving and the community, province and country are coming together to assist and support.

bugs
Smokey sun
Smokey sun

bugs
# Posted: 10 May 2016 17:10

Hi Just
Thanks for your concern but the fires are about 300 miles from us. Just a few smokey days and better than last year when the fires were less than 60 miles from us.

bugs

bugs
# Posted: 26 May 2016 13:33 - Edited by: bugs

Some pix from last weekend.

After an absence of a couple of months "our" elk have returned. Also had three elk cows at the lick. Interesting we are starting to get more mule deer this year. They were scarce a couple of years ago.
Lots of bull!
Lots of bull!
Back to winter
Back to winter
hobomok skipper
hobomok skipper
American Emerald dragonfly
American Emerald dragonfly

Just
# Posted: 26 May 2016 16:45

That's good news Bugs , looks like your slew has lots of water to help protect your place .

bugs
# Posted: 29 Jan 2017 16:00

First trip out to our place for 2017. Wonderful to get out and snowshoe about the place after a 2 month hiatus and check the cameras. Unfortunately it appears the wild boar are showing up more frequently.
snowshoeing up our lane
snowshoeing up our lane
snowshoring across our pond
snowshoring across our pond
morning deer
morning deer
wild boar
wild boar

Just
# Posted: 29 Jan 2017 16:52

Hard to believe that a pig can live in that cold climate.
I read that we had them here in Ontario a 100 years ago.
Thanks for sharing.

creeky
# Posted: 30 Jan 2017 12:36

I'll bet those wild boar are mighty tasty. Is there a season for them?

Are boar an introduced species there? Any indication of changes to the environment? I imagine they do quite a bit of rooting.

bugs
# Posted: 2 Feb 2017 15:13

Creeky: Yes they were introduced as an alternate farm animal in the 70's and 80's. The experts thought they would not survive the winters if they escaped. They are doing well and reproducing quite happily. The gov't has opened the season on them for hunting any time. However they are mostly out at night and night hunting is illegal in SK as is game hunting with dogs. So their numbers are not being decreased much by regular hunting. There is an effort to trap the sounders and then exterminate them but again it is likely not making too much of an impact. I understand in some areas they are doing a good deal of damage to crops.

creeky
# Posted: 2 Feb 2017 17:31

I'd be looking to bag one. How are you set for local butchers? I miss my farmer's sausage.

Game in my area has gotten real scarce with the rise of the coyote. That's another animal that there's an open season on. Seemingly making no difference. And guys are "training" with dogs.

I notice in your pics that the snow cover looks pretty light. We had a bad drought last year. Streams dried right up. Caught a bit of a break in the fall, but there's almost no snow cover. Mild temps. Gonna be an odd spring.

bugs
# Posted: 29 Sep 2017 11:54

some pix from our place over the summer
dragonfly eating bee
dragonfly eating bee
cherry skimmer
cherry skimmer
hummer
hummer
grasshopper
grasshopper

bugs
# Posted: 29 Sep 2017 11:55

and a few others
heron
heron
elk
elk
pelican
pelican
sunset
sunset

Just
# Posted: 29 Sep 2017 12:10

great pics I didn't know dragons were carnivorous. Hence your name .

bronco_ed
# Posted: 29 Sep 2017 12:24 - Edited by: bronco_ed

The diversity of wildlife is incredible...

Beautiful...

Do you have areas set up for observation and photography? Or are the photos from game cams/and or walking around the property?

Just
# Posted: 29 Sep 2017 20:03

population is up they left on a north wind this morning . The wind will carry them across lake Erie
Resized_20170925_193.jpeg
Resized_20170925_193.jpeg
Resized_20170926_194.jpeg
Resized_20170926_194.jpeg

bugs
# Posted: 16 Feb 2020 15:16

A few pix from our last visit to our shack....
buck
buck
cow moose and twins
cow moose and twins
bull elk
bull elk
snowhoeing on our pond
snowhoeing on our pond

bugs
# Posted: 16 Feb 2020 15:19

and a few more
white tail deer
white tail deer
chairs and snowshoes
chairs and snowshoes
wild boar
wild boar
bull elk
bull elk

bugs
# Posted: 16 Feb 2020 16:01

This one was taken just before Xmas... It looks like the "team" dumped Santa as we didn't see a sleigh...
elk herd
elk herd

Hangblague
# Posted: 11 Mar 2020 17:16

Those are some great wildlife shots. Are any of them from trail cam's or are you that stealthy and patient?

creeky
# Posted: 12 Mar 2020 10:14

Nice bugs.

bugs
# Posted: 26 Aug 2020 17:54 - Edited by: bugs

Testing a video of a week at our mineral lick and along one of our trails... and visitors to our porch.... "parks people" hard a work clearing trails... :

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNDn_u_Ucr-YZp8XebbUkcflmiIg5OAJEVebPmqzjEOP1G36 -fVBTepA3dEL3pvRQ/photo/AF1QipMm_ZecoHVCjinqtozRh4UH1PJPev_n79fCxShJ?key=anRFNDA2SGpH VGlybmJCVk5nVDAxaTM1bGxXeDN3

hattie
# Posted: 26 Aug 2020 23:25

AMAZING videos bugs!!!! That was really interesting to see such a variety of wildlife. The bird song was beautiful too!

bushbunkie
# Posted: 27 Aug 2020 08:04

Amazing Bugs…you have quite the natural zoo going on that homestead of yours! Glad things are going well.

bugs
# Posted: 27 Aug 2020 12:31

thanks!!! Glad the video worked... first time I tried linking one... maybe I will try a couple more.

As we have entered a new world order over the past few months.. I suspect many, like me and the lady wife, are appreciating our get away shacks to escape a city and its constrictions of social distancing and face masks, etc... Our little oasis of sanity is more important than ever now...

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.