Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Looking for a source for small windows
WILL1E
# Posted: 27 Oct 2020 13:27

I am looking for a source that sells new or used RV windows. Since my cargo trailer will be my temporary "cabin" for the time being, i'm trying to make it a bit more liveable.

The metal frame is 16" OC and it's 1.25" tube, so basically the largest rough opening i can do width wise is 14.75". Height, i'd like either 24 or 36" tall. I'd prefer at least single hung.

Checked out Amazon and it's $$$. Looking at Ebay but not sure what i'll get. Just looking for other ideas or sites. I would like to keep the exterior looking nice for when i sell the trailer after i'm done with it. So i'd prefer not to put any shed windows or anything like that in.

frankpaige
# Posted: 27 Oct 2020 14:46

Do not know how close to HD or Loews you are? But, they will do custom sizes. Not sure how much $$$ is? But good luck on this and ur build.

ICC
# Posted: 27 Oct 2020 14:53 - Edited by: ICC

I have bought RV windows on ebay several times. Never had any problems; I do pick sellers with a good track record.

There should be a selection of 12 to 14" wide RV windows on ebay. Don't try to use a window that was designed for horizontal slider use in a vertical application as the weep holes are not in the correct place. Also make sure they supply the installation trim ring to make installation easy.

You are limiting your choices though by just looking for windows that fit between the existing metal wall ribs. A good welder can weld a horizontal "sill" and "header" into a cutout that spans one or more of the wall bays. I have done it myself. One just needs to do the welds in small increments and be happy with just doing the welds on the inside; not worrying about welding under the metal exterior skin. Of course, that requires the interior plywood to be removed in that area.

I have a couple of RV windows someplace around here that I never used. Brand new stock. If you are in NM maybe we could make a deal.... they are wider than the wall rib spaces you have though.

WILL1E
# Posted: 27 Oct 2020 15:46

@ICC I've got a few picked out on Ebay that i'm currently watching, so we will see how that goes.

The "studs" in my walls are actually 1.25" steel tube...yes, my trailer is built like a brick poop house!! So, i really don't want to start cutting through those. Mainly because i don't intend to keep the trailer long term. So i want to keep it appealing to a potential future buyer (likely a contractor) but still make it more cozy for me short term.

WILL1E
# Posted: 27 Oct 2020 15:50

For the trim ring...they usually call out a wall thickness. How forgiving is this measurement? My exterior skin, plus steel frame, plus plywood interior is around 1 5/8". So i'm wondering if i need to get 1 1/2" trim ring or 1 3/4" and just plan to make a thin piece to take the slop out of the trim ring on the inside.

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 27 Oct 2020 18:02 - Edited by: Irrigation Guy

Just a thought, why not build a temporary wall with a regular house window in the opening at back of the trailer. You could step it in a bit so that the ramp or doors can still close for security. Then when you are done living in it you you can remove the wall and you haven’t cut holes in a perfectly good cargo trailer.

frankpaige
# Posted: 27 Oct 2020 18:23 - Edited by: frankpaige

Irrigation Guy! Outside the box, or cargo trailer, thinking. grand idea.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Oct 2020 20:59

How about RV Windows

Willie, you may have to weld in a top header and a bottom sill in place, so it can screw down. Use the butyl tape in the same color as your window frame.

You can weld those in after the opening a has been cut from the outside, then cut the plywood on the inside.
My trailer used 16" OC, but the metal studs were a "Z" shaped. So a chunk of angle iron of the same depth will work perfectly.

WILL1E
# Posted: 28 Oct 2020 08:11 - Edited by: WILL1E

@Irrigation Guy I had that exact idea. However, keep in mind i'm still using the trailer for it's original purpose which is temporary storage until i start building. So, i need to be able to get things like my ATV in/out when i decide to stay up there. I could still do the wall idea, but it becomes a bit more complicated.

Did find some pictures of others who have done basically the same idea:

ratfink56
# Posted: 29 Oct 2020 06:56

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071DPV6SJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UT F8&psc=1

I bought these for my shed. Small, cheap and quality is good for the money. Hope the link works.

WILL1E
# Posted: 29 Oct 2020 08:15

I ended up buying a brand new RV window on Ebay that's 14"W x 22" tall and comes with the inner frame and is made for 1.5" thick wall. It's a tinted single hung window.

It was $84, which is more than other options mentioned here, but it'll look like it belongs on the trailer vs. a house looking type window.

I'll post pictures once it's received and installed!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.