Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Mouse proof oven?
Fanman
# Posted: 23 Nov 2020 08:57

Does anybody make a gas range that critters can't get into? We're remodeling our kitchen (at the house, not the cabin, we already did that) and we've had to get rid of two stoves because mice got into them... once the smell gets into the insulation it's never going away, making the oven unusable. At the cabin, we went to a gas cooktop and a separate electric oven, basically a huge toaster oven, we don't bake much at the cabin.

But at home it's a different matter. We're currently leaning toward a sealed burner cooktop and a separate wall mounted oven under it. The idea is that the oven would be in a sealed part of the cabinet, whereas a freestanding range usually has a drawer on the bottom and various openings in the sheet metal structure that let the critters in. But if there was a truly sealed freestanding range that would simplify things.

moneypitfeeder
# Posted: 23 Nov 2020 19:07 - Edited by: moneypitfeeder

Good luck, I don't know of one, but for a home I'd lean towards an induction cooktop...I just got a SS gas range, and while I love it, cleaning the top can be a huge pain. The only thing I could think of might be an old imported British Aga cast iron gas range, that also functioned as a heating system. I have a newer "Americanized" Aga (at home, not camp) that is dual fuel, and not quite the beast the old Aga's are and I don't think the bottom is sealed against critters**Edit to say, there are new dual-fuel cast iron Aga's available in the US, but I don't know what the bottom and sides are built like.**If you do find a reasonably priced sealed unit, please post, my old Caloric at the cabin definitely has "mouse aroma."

Bruces
# Posted: 23 Nov 2020 19:38

Where are you from Fanman ? You need a Bosch hgs8055uc range if you are in Canada .I can get you one ,if you need it .

Fanman
# Posted: 24 Nov 2020 08:21

Quoting: moneypitfeeder
Good luck, I don't know of one, but for a home I'd lean towards an induction cooktop...

No, we're going gas, at least for the cooktop. We had a glass top range awhile ago and the critters still got into it. We've refined our plan, now planning on an electric wall oven, in a sealed cabinet above floor level that should work, the cooktop will be a sealed burner unit.

We've been slowly converting to gas. I replaced the kerosene burning furnace with three direct vent gas heaters a few years ago, the clothes dryer with a gas unit last year, the current project includes the range and replacing the electric water heater with an on demand gas one. When it's done, the 5500W generator will be able to run the entire house, right now it can't run the well pump and the water heater at the same time. We get a low of power failures here. The DV heaters require no electric at all, it was nice to have heat even when the power was out for a week last winter.

Bruces, that Bosch range is nice but pricey. We're in CT, though it's available in the US too.

Brettny
# Posted: 24 Nov 2020 10:13

Maybe the mouse population is to high and you have to many entry points?

Fanman
# Posted: 24 Nov 2020 20:02

Hah! We have three indoor/outdoor cats, 'nuff said!

That's the house, no cats at the cabin but nothing's particularly tight, they're gonna get in when we're away, though bucket traps help a lot.

Brettny
# Posted: 25 Nov 2020 06:18

I have a rough cut shed with shed doors..haven't seen a sign of a mouse in about 1yr. There are easy steps to take and it is possible.

gcrank1
# Posted: 25 Nov 2020 11:01

I NEED to know more!
Maybe do a thread asap? We are soon to be snowed out from access and I hope to be able to keep from being overrun by the time we can get back in.

Brettny
# Posted: 25 Nov 2020 12:10

My roof is foam board with the edges filled with spray foam. It's still not quite sealed up. I used garage door seals around my doors and run multiple bait blocks outside of my shed all year. Baiting outside made a huge difference in lowering the population and thus keeping them out.

We also dont throw out dish water or food scraps of any kind even close to the shabin. No food is left out for them to eat in the shabin and we whipe all kitchen surfaces clean before we leave.

At an old place I was a member of someone left a onion out on the counter 2 days before we got there. The mice had it half ate by the time we got there.

evanray
# Posted: 27 Nov 2020 14:45

I am trying something with our propane stove. I applied quick setting glue and covered every opening with it and screen wire. You can't see it but I don't know how well it will work yet.

evanray
# Posted: 27 Nov 2020 14:46

I am trying something with our propane stove. I applied quick setting glue and covered every opening with it and screen wire. You can't see it but I don't know how well it will work yet.

moneypitfeeder
# Posted: 13 Dec 2020 17:03

Quoting: Fanman
the clothes dryer with a gas unit last year

A heads-up in case you didn't already think about it, get a vent cover with a screen for the dryer...we had a mouse get into our vent line at our house a while back, and well it didn't go so well for the mouse. Worse (other than me feeling terrible about the mouse's fate & gore left behind) was the fact we had just bought the dryer. We now have a vent that opens a flap when in use, and still has a screen over the opening.

justins7
# Posted: 14 Dec 2020 12:04

I was wondering if there was a mouse-proof oven as well. Same deal — I can't use mine because of the absolutely horrid smell. So we now bake with a large electric toaster oven, which my wife is not happy about. Thanksgiving was a challenge, cramming that turkey in there.

We still use the burners, but not the oven.

New propane ovens are not cheap anyway. They should be made mouse-proof since many people using them are off-grid or in the woods.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.