Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Self tapping fasteners
paulz
# Posted: 26 Dec 2020 09:27

I have an old travel trailer frame I bought recently that I have been fixing up. Got 3/4 plywood I need to screw into the cross braces, which are not that thick, maybe 16 gauge. Planning on self tapping screws. I have a bunch of hex head metal roofing type but they would stick up (unless I bury them in the wood) and catch stuff. Started looking online and came across these 'winged' screws. Bores the wood and snap off before the metal. New one on me. Looks interesting but I think Torx heads might be better, tapping into metal with a phillips head might be risky. Any thoughts? Also what diameter would you suggest, 10?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Teks-10-16-x-1-7-16-in-Phillips-Round-Head-Screw-with-Win gs-300-Pack-21381/206024071

Brettny
# Posted: 26 Dec 2020 10:47

Those are pretty typical for the use your useing them for. Some times there also called floor screws. I use a similar type on the wood deck trailer I own. I do always pre drill though.

For a small trailer I would just use 1/4-20 bolts though and sink the washers in tight.

paulz
# Posted: 26 Dec 2020 11:11

Thanks Brett. It's a 16 footer, 4 sheets of plywood, 2' centers. I'd like to avoid crawling under it to hold all those nuts, or even pre-drilling, but maybe it's the right thing to do. It is bolted down around the perimeter with 7/16 bolts on existing flanges.

ICC
# Posted: 26 Dec 2020 13:36

The self-drilling, self-tapping fasteners with the break off wings are super. No need to predrill holes, they are made to drill through steel and secure wood pieces or panels to the metal without the need to pre-drill as a separate step. They are used in all sorts of commercial work.

If you use a phillips bit in good condition and keep pressure on it they work fine. I do like torx or allen heads better, but for a one-time insertion the phillips work fine, with a good bit.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 Dec 2020 14:39

My enclosed trailer flooring is secured with these, I also use them to install "flush D rings" to have more options to secure loads. I either went right into metal structure, if it wasnt there, I added a 2" wide 3/16 flatbar underneath D ring.

paulz
# Posted: 26 Dec 2020 16:20

Just got back from HD, bought the Teks wing screws, tried one out. Drills through metal better than my drill bits! Going to make the job a lot easier.

Thanks guys.

paulz
# Posted: 30 Dec 2020 14:06

These screws are freaking awesome! Whoever invented them should get the Nobel prize for screwing. Or something like that. Made short work of that task.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.