Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Headed Back to AZ
Nobadays
# Posted: 31 Jan 2021 21:38

Well, it's been a pretty mild winter really. Temps never got below -8°F and never more than 2' of snow at a time... things melted down in between storms, only about 2' on the ground right now.... more to come in the forecast. We have enjoyed our time here, almost a year as we came up here the second week of March last year when Covid started becoming serious.

Now it's time to go back to AZ where it looks like we may be able to get the Covid vaccine in a few weeks. Loading went well until today when the Tracker wouldn't start, sputters but no starting. Acted flooded so pulled the plugs, burned out the cylinders and reinstalled the plugs (new just a few days ago) sputtered again then just cranked.... repeated this numerous times, no love. Checked a plug for spark, had spark. Cranked with a plug out and gas flew out the cylinder. Oh well, leaving bright and early tomorrow.

Fired up the snowmobile, attached the sled and took our frozen goods and refrigerator goods down after fiddling with the Tracker. Made a couple of trips and got nearly everything down to the truck. Tomorrow morning just the garbage, dirty clothes, us and the cats.... who are never amused about traveling and less amused about snowmobiling! I'll get the wife and cats down then run the snowmobile back up and park it and walk the mile down to the truck.

Hope to get back up here by the end of March so we can get the greenhouse and cold frames planted. Looking forward this coming year to more recreating and less building projects... though of course there will be projects!

frankpaige
# Posted: 31 Jan 2021 22:02

If I am wrong, yell at me. But You/Yours seem to have a heck of time when you leave that place. Was it wiring last time?
It has been a mild winter. Except for the wind.
Luck on your vaccine. Stay safe, Safe travels.
At least you are not headed back into summer temps.
Mask up, Hunker down. 😂

gcrank1
# Posted: 31 Jan 2021 22:06

Wonder how long before ya need yer 'cabin fix'; with me its about a week.

Nobadays
# Posted: 31 Jan 2021 22:35

Frank.... yeah it seems like it is always something! Maybe we should just stay here! Actually we are going to do some thinking, maybe rent our AZ home out and just move up here. Just can't decide. Want to keep the AZ place as it's a great place to really retire to.... in the mountains so not Phoenix hot but summers are still way warmer than here. Right now there is nearly a foot of snow still on the ground there from a storm last weekend.

GC.... We kind of have to choose, it's a 9-10 hour drive from our AZ place and here in CO.

FishHog
# Posted: 1 Feb 2021 07:15

Bummer about the tracker but I was just researching a similar problem on my wife's CRV. I'm thinking after a bunch of research it might just be a stuck Evap Valve, which is about a $50 part.

Might be worth reading about for you. Safe travels and good luck with the vaccine. I wish the Canadian Gov't had there **** together as much as the US when it comes to the Vac.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Feb 2021 10:15 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

nobadays, try holding accel to the floor, this is designed to clear a flood, if the engine computer sees wide open throttle during cranking, it automatically turns the injectors off. Common deal in cold weather, especially if you did a short start ie to move it etc and shut it back off.

Floor it and crank. When it starts, it will blubber for a bit, heavy fuel load burning off, then as she starts to clear out and rev up, settle the throttle down.

Nobadays
# Posted: 1 Feb 2021 13:48

Toyota... FishHog... thanks for the tips! We are on the road now headed back to AZ. Cats survived another snowmobile/sled ride, told us about it for the next hour but they settled down and apparently doing what they do best... sleeping.

Nobadays
# Posted: 2 Feb 2021 11:23

Made it back to AZ home. Had to shovel 6" of wet snow off the driveway before we could pull in... didn't want to pack it down. Took us 9 hours and change to make the drive.

Honeysuckle vine/trellis are on the ground in the back yard and a couple other plants look a little crushed from the snow... they got 16" of wet heavy snow last Friday. Pine needles... oh my word, pine needles thick all over everywhere, well at least where the snow has melted so I'm sure there are needles under the snow as well.

Lots of home maintenance stuff... cleaning up mainly but the last time we were here the garage door opener quit. Took it apart and found a visibly blown capacitor. Found a local electric motor shop (didn't even know there was one) and he sold me a slightly undersized capacitor that would fit the mount, he thought it would start the motor... it didn't. Traded me for another capacitor of the right output but physically too large for the mount... told me if it didn't work look to the control board, said something made the capacitor fail. He was right, so now gotta pull the board and order a new board and capacitor.

Got 3 empty 5 gallon homebrew beer kegs in my kegerator that need cleaned.... and refilled, so gotta make 2-3 batches of beer while we are here. Got some homemade red wine that has oxidized so, considering getting a pot still and running off as brandy. Anyone here ever do that?

Well off to get some work done!

gcrank1
# Posted: 2 Feb 2021 11:27

Im 'still' waitin for instructions

Nobadays
# Posted: 2 Feb 2021 13:15

GC.... instructions?

Well "fixed" the garage door opener uh... "someone" didn't pay attention when he unhooked the capacitor. "Someone" put the wires on the wrong terminals. Funny how capacitors won't charge correctly when hooked up wrong but when hooked up right start motors every time!

Actually was looking online how to test for a short in the motor windings. A picture showing the wires to test on the Genie garage door opener motor alerted me, the picture showed the end of the capacitor... with the wires on. More searching and realized the wires were not plugged onto the right terminals. Switched them and Bob's your uncle!

gcrank1
# Posted: 2 Feb 2021 13:42

Pot still instructions
Probably online, everything seems to be, but I am curious how you go about it; pretty sure we have some old wine stuck in the back of the hutch that should be dealt with.

Nobadays
# Posted: 2 Feb 2021 14:03

GC.... ah! I'm going to buy a pot still from Moonshine Distiller in Colorado. Maybe not really legal but some states are tolerant... Colorado will give you a small fine.... here is what it says on the AZ liquor control site: "Giving away your homemade liquor (beer, wine or distilled spirits) to family and friends who are age 21 or older does not require a license." Of course they do print the federal requirements just below this for spirits... and the feds of course are "one size fits all" nothing about registering as a home distiller. I'm not skeered!

I'm going to make ehh.... hand cleaner?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.