Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Anything for carrying sacks of concrete?
socceronly
# Posted: 19 Mar 2021 14:05

Is there any kind of backpack/harness for carrying sacks of concrete to ungodly places?

Have to move a lot of rocks and bags of concrete up a lot of stairs, then a small hiking path.....

gwindhurst
# Posted: 19 Mar 2021 15:30

Have you thought about an external frame backpack?

ICC
# Posted: 19 Mar 2021 16:24

A backpack frame with a sturdy "shelf" is all that is needed. Add straps to hold the bag securely.

What size bags? Readimix, or portland cement powder?

ICC
# Posted: 19 Mar 2021 16:30

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Canyon-External-Hunting-Frame/dp/B01NBTLX9D

Something like this, attached to someone else's back should work.

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 19 Mar 2021 18:09

I recommend a donkey

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Mar 2021 20:50

Make a simple sled to pulley each up the 'hill' rather than run the steps with it on yer back?

socceronly
# Posted: 19 Mar 2021 21:20

Thanks guys.

That frame back pack looks good. I think I'll try one of those.

It's too steep to avoid the stairs.

I think even the donkey would tell me where to go.

FishHog
# Posted: 20 Mar 2021 08:33

And people pay to go to a gym for a workout. Cabin owners get that as part of the deal

BobW
# Posted: 20 Mar 2021 15:25

Find somebody younger and dumber!

hueyjazz
# Posted: 20 Mar 2021 17:08

Having done this around a construction site with many obstacles and levels, if you really mean a lot; then something with wheels if possible is answer.

Move more and less strain on body. Even if its two wheel dolly w/ stair climber.

Bruces
# Posted: 20 Mar 2021 23:37

If the stairs are relatively straight ,a cart or a sled can be hauled up them easily with a winch .A plastic ice fishing toboggan works great or you can build something with some plastic runners (trex works good) .If the site is tough to get to ,a permanent set up is well worth the investment .

paulz
# Posted: 21 Mar 2021 09:43

Only time I've had this predicament I made a cart with bicycle wheels and hauled it up with one of these winches using a stake in the ground and a car battery. Slow going but the only thing that got tired was my thumb on the switch.
Screenshot_2021032.png
Screenshot_2021032.png

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 21 Mar 2021 15:55 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Please do not carry heavy things up stairs. You are going to wreck your knees.
There are plenty of videos on YouTube that show what movers do to move heavy objects up stairs.
Hand trucks that are made for stairs.
You will use it all the time.
We bought a heavy duty hand truck from Costco (did not need one for stairs) it folds down into a flatbed if needed and than it has have four wheels. This is one of the best items we’ve purchased for our camp. I also have my daughters old wagon I use (the one with removable wood slats) for lighter duty applications.

gcrank1
# Posted: 21 Mar 2021 19:02

Words of wisdom from my past that were too often ignored:
Work smarter, not harder

RussT
# Posted: 21 Mar 2021 20:36

what about a cable and trolley with a winch to pull it up?

Brettny
# Posted: 22 Mar 2021 13:35

What's the concrete and rock for? Is there a way you can not use concrete?

mj1angier
# Posted: 23 Mar 2021 08:12

How about a shingle lifter for the stairs then a sled and winch for the trail. You can buy/ rent/ build them cheaper than messing up your back lol
Shingle lifter
Shingle lifter

NorthRick
# Posted: 23 Mar 2021 19:14

Quoting: silverwaterlady
Please do not carry heavy things up stairs. You are going to wreck your knees.

I've done a lot of hunting in the mountains carrying heavy loads. Going down is way harder on knees.

Sounds like Socceronly is only carrying the loads up hill. Of course, it also depends on what kind of shape you're in and how many bags you are talking about.

gcrank1
# Posted: 23 Mar 2021 21:45

Day 1) A serious workout
Day 2) There is no day 2, body doesnt work. Brain does.....call all friends and buy beer.

Brettny
# Posted: 24 Mar 2021 05:59

Those shingle lifts are absolutely great for roofing jobs. It's like having your own elevator. Tar paper, ice and water shield, shingles, nails and tools all take a ride and dont need to get carried up. Il never do another sizable shingle job without one. Bu you cant really lay them down and use them on a hill. There not really made like that.

Jrbrandt25
# Posted: 24 Mar 2021 11:28

Thats why I had a son,,to do all heavy lifting and grunt work.

socceronly
# Posted: 2 Apr 2021 19:10

I can actually get away with no concrete if I keep things simple and just build on skids.

Still need the drainage rock though. However, those are only 40lb bags which isn't too bad.

Stairs up the steep part, then a slight grade.

260ft to the building site, so building a trolley or something won't work....

Next time you see me, I'll be all sexy and buff.... or broken.

gcrank1
# Posted: 2 Apr 2021 22:42

After a couple days of carrying one on your back you will be making the trip with one under each arm

old243
# Posted: 3 Apr 2021 10:01

If 40 pounds is too heavy for you , just take the weight , you feel comfortable
with. and make more trips. I used to carry a couple. Can't do that any more. old243

Grizzlyman
# Posted: 11 May 2021 07:24 - Edited by: Grizzlyman

100% Kid hiking backpack- or rather a backpack for carrying your kids while hiking. It has a framed opening where the kid a.k.a concrete bag goes.

I did this. The backpack saved my you know what. 50+ 60# bags of concrete up a 50’ incline “goatpath” 400 feet back from the water.

Started by shouldering it and getting covered in concrete dust. Then had a though about our hiking pack that we no longer needed since kids are a bit too old for it.

Absolutely works.

I put a nail in a tree. Hung the backpack on the nail straps out, lifted the bag and put it, then backed up to the hanging pack and strapped in.

Easy compared to alternatives
3C9DA4BAAB474AADA.jpeg
3C9DA4BAAB474AADA.jpeg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.