Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Finally garden season in AK
Aklogcabin
# Posted: 26 May 2021 11:17

I'm trying to take advantage of the winters worth of rabbit poo, pee n hay we have. And make a blend to improve the overall tilth of our soil. So I also mowed up the leaves on the lawn from last year as our snow is finally gone n leaves dry, n added them to the pile. Also had 250 pounds of some wood pellets that leaked water n disintegrated to add in. We ground this up in a shredder/mulcher i bought 20 years ago for 10 bucks n never used yet. It fired on the 5th pull. Yeehaah !
It looks like a fine grind of peat moss. Or if you smashed a dried up bunny poo.
My beautiful wife mixed up a batch of dirt consisting of a bale of peat, vermiculite, n all the dirt from last year's planters in one of my big plastic freight sleds.
Then we blended up a batch together for our tomatoes n planted them.
Next plan is to take the top 5-6" of dirt from our raised beds n run it through the mulcher then add it back together with the compost n refill the beds.
I will add a few inches of the compost blend on top of the ground beds also.
We're trying to get the most out of our meat rabbits. And making up a compost that most gardeners would appreciate.
There's many ways to make a value from our rabbits. High impact , organic compost. I will be mixing up a batch of rabbit poo tea to supplement also.
Whats your all thoughts. And thanks

WILL1E
# Posted: 26 May 2021 12:18

Did you run any soil test on your blend to get a gauge of what sort of nutrients it will add to your soil?

paulz
# Posted: 26 May 2021 13:58

Nice going ALC

Rabbit poo tea?

ICC
# Posted: 26 May 2021 20:26

I use a manure tea too; cow and horse mix mainly, maybe some goat tossed in once in a while. Goat poo, not the whole goat.

There is always at least one bin of assorted green waste composting as well.

It is all Amazing Stuff! And free for the labor of gathering.

Alaskajohn
# Posted: 27 May 2021 01:47

My wife makes a concoction with moose droppings for her flowers and they work well. We just planted about 110 potato tubers with most being Yukon gold, with some purple and reds thrown in. The Yukon’s are great as they keep well in a cool dark cellar and we are still eating from last year. It’s taken a few years to resurrect the soil that lay fallow for two decades since the original homesteader sold the place, and I only really had to buy some peat moss and compost initially, but now that we are established, we are composting from natural material each year. I cheat and use the potato fertilize that Alaska Mill and Feed sells for the spuds, but let’s keep that a secret among us! We are producing about 60% of our own potato tubers, but I like to add some fresh tubers each year from Alaska certified producers. This has served me well.

I’m not quite sure what the wife decided to plant this year for veggies. She relegates me solely to spuds, and she is in charge of everything else. I know whatever she planted will be yummy and plentiful and probably fertilized with her moose poop concoction.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 27 May 2021 10:25

Yes Paulz, want to come have a cup of tea sometime ? I do have some chaga around too. Tasty.
Rabbit manure is good for plants as it can be use straight without too much nitrogen. For tea put some poo in a 5 gal bucket with water n cover. Some set it in the sun. Then give your plants a little sip. I hear that plants do not like to drink alone.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.