Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / What is the cheapest drywall alternative?
. 1 . 2 . >>
Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 30 May 2021 20:04

Hi you all,

Some of you were so kind and pointed me to that floors can be painted or varnished as an alternative to expensive flooring.

Is there something to save when doing the insulation and the walls? What are cost-saving methods to cover up the insulation?

Some idea and tips?

Happy Memorial Day.

Brettny
# Posted: 30 May 2021 20:34

Where are you located?

gcrank1
# Posted: 30 May 2021 20:35

Ime drywall is the cheapest and decent 'mudders' didnt use to be overly expensive, dont know about now. You can do your own walls but I dont recommend doing a ceiling.
Then you prime and paint. Hiring someone to mud will get you to the priming and painting much faster which most people can handle.
Cheap paneling is, well, cheap paneling....but no need to prime and paint. I didnt have very good luck using 'construction adhesive' many years ago even though I followed the instructions

ICC
# Posted: 30 May 2021 20:55

One of the secrets to successful drywall jointing is to have an assortment of knife widths. I often use 3, 6 and 10" widths, but also have other in-between sizes. Most people get better as they gain experience, but some never do well.

Cheap paneling looks like cheap panelling. And if cheap panelling is installed directly to the studs it is also very flimsy. Like an oil can bottom.

NorthRick
# Posted: 31 May 2021 14:40

Also keep in mind that drywall slows the spread of a fire in the structure. It's the reason it's used in most all residential construction now. One of the least expensive ways to meet fire code.

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 1 Jun 2021 18:03

I am in Missouri, Brettny.

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 1 Jun 2021 18:05

NorthRick, you got a point with the fire.

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 1 Jun 2021 18:07

ICC, yes, paneling can be cheap.

I want some walls with pine-knot-showing wood like in the Amish cabins. However, some I want to paint, like dark in contrast.

I wonder what would be the most economic solution.

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 1 Jun 2021 18:09

gcrank1, I googled Ime drywall and found nothing. Is that a typo or does it exist?

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 1 Jun 2021 18:10

Could any of you please scroll through this link and tell me your views/experiences on these drywall alternatives?

https://www.homestratosphere.com/drywall-alternatives/

ICC
# Posted: 1 Jun 2021 18:14

Quoting: Myoldhomefallsapart
Ime

forum shorthand for "in my experience"

gcrank1
# Posted: 1 Jun 2021 18:37

Yes, ICC is correct.
My apologies, Ive been on fora far too long apparently and have taken to using 'texting' shorthand.
If you have any thoughts of using inexpensive panelling do consider having drywall applied beneath (no mud of seams needed), the wall will be much more substantial.

ICC
# Posted: 1 Jun 2021 19:29

Quoting: gcrank1
If you have any thoughts of using inexpensive panelling do consider having drywall applied beneath (no mud of seams needed), the wall will be much more substantial.

I have many walls like that, but I did tape and rough mud the seams to assist with the air sealing. Quick and dirty.

ICC
# Posted: 1 Jun 2021 19:39

Could any of you please scroll through this link and tell me your views/experiences on these drywall alternatives?

I believe that many, if not most of those are not going to be cheaper than drywall if you are doing all the drywall jointing yourself rather than paying a contractor. Except for maybe the exposed concrete block.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Jun 2021 21:00 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I want some walls with pine-knot-showing wood like in the Amish cabins. However, some I want to paint, like dark in contrast.

I wonder what would be the most economic solution.

I used 3/8 plywood, sand the stamp off. Plywood isnt cheap now, but it was then.

Sheetrock in the 12 footers laid on its side is a breeze, get a rotozip spiral saw, get the flush trim bits made for sheetrock and grab a sheetrock jack for doing the ceiling. With that and one of those ridgid screw guns that use the collated screws, makes drywalling a breeze and the 12 footers on its side makes it a dream putting in place.

Brettny
# Posted: 2 Jun 2021 06:19

Another thing that makes the final product of the drywall come out great is buying sheets that are the length of the room for the ceilings and useing 8' vertically on the walls. Doing this means no cut ends that arnt in corners.
I have 16' 1/2in on my 11' ceiling. Yes it was a chore to put up but is very flat.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 2 Jun 2021 08:14 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Drywall I believe is the cheapest wall covering you are going to find.
Please hire a professional. My Husband was a painting contractor for decades. He did a lot of drywall.
Drywall is a lot of hard work. If you don’t know what you are doing, your walls are going to look awful.
It’s such a large surface. It’s hard to cover up a job that is not done correctly.

jsahara24
# Posted: 2 Jun 2021 12:49

While I am not a fan of it, you could always go with a textured finish on the drywall to hide the imperfections..... Mudding drywall is definitely an art, and I have yet to master it.....haha...

or do a rough tape job on the joints and add wood stripping like I did in my cabin bedroom ceiling....
cabin_bedroom.jpg
cabin_bedroom.jpg

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 2 Jun 2021 14:32

ICC, IME, ok, I understand.

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 2 Jun 2021 14:34

Thanks for giving me advice, gcrank1, but I don't understand drywall beneath cheap paneling. Isn't that twice the cost? Wouldn't it be better then just to use drywall and paint?

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 2 Jun 2021 14:37

ICC, how did the final product of your mud and tape wall job look like? Did you paint the walls at the end?

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 2 Jun 2021 14:40

toyota_mdt_tech, how did the final result of your 3/8 plywood walls look like after you sanded the print off?

Did you paint the walls? Can one still see that they are plywood walls?

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 2 Jun 2021 14:43

Thanks for the pic, jasahara. Look fine to me.

Are your walls drywall or plywood? Did you paint them?

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 2 Jun 2021 14:46

Quoting: silverwaterlady
Drywall I believe is the cheapest wall covering you are going to find.
Please hire a professional.

I am sure that I have to hire a professional for many things. However, I want to know what the most affordable solution is to put walls in a 16x40 cabin that is nothing but a shell. If I am not informed, they can talk me into the most expensive solution as they also earn on the material.

gcrank1
# Posted: 2 Jun 2021 15:40

The purpose of the cheapest 'substrate' (drywall) beneath relatively thin sheet paneling is to make for a wall that you can actually lean against without it bowing and hang a picture, etc. on. Just paneling on studs is pretty flexxy.
This only matters if you have a paneling in mind that you would really like over painted drywall. We did just such 35ish yrs ago in our home, it has been fine.

jsahara24
# Posted: 2 Jun 2021 16:42

Are your walls drywall or plywood? Did you paint them?

They are drywall, I hung, spackled and painted it myself. Best advice I have is many light coats. Now for the ceiling I tend to make a terrible mess dropping the spackle on my head and end up with bumps on all the joints....Hence the rough cut wood strips....haha..

I think it helps give it a cabin feel without having to pay for knotty pine $$$...I did put knotty pine on the ceiling in my main room, expensive but looks great...

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 Jun 2021 21:14

toyota_mdt_tech, how did the final result of your 3/8 plywood walls look like after you sanded the print off?

Did you paint the walls? Can one still see that they are plywood walls?

I did not paint it, no one notices its plywood, they just see wood walls in a cabin and it looks normal. I havent sealed it or anything. Once yuor decorations are up, no one notices it. I have way more decorations now then when they pictures were taken.
cabin05.jpg
cabin05.jpg
cabin04.jpg
cabin04.jpg
cabin03.jpg
cabin03.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 Jun 2021 21:15

affordable solution is to put walls in a 16x40 cabin that is nothing but a shell.

I'm going with drywall for that.

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 3 Jun 2021 10:54

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
I did not paint it, no one notices its plywood, they just see wood walls in a cabin and it looks normal.

Thanks for the photos. Looks great!

But it does not look like plywood. Looks like pine-knotted paneling. Where is the plywood? How can you make plywood like pine-knotted paneling? Beats me.

Myoldhomefallsapart
# Posted: 3 Jun 2021 10:58

Quoting: jsahara24
They are drywall, I hung, spackled and painted it myself. Best advice I have is many light coats. Now for the ceiling I tend to make a terrible mess dropping the spackle on my head and end up with bumps on all the joints....Hence the rough cut wood strips....haha..

Many thin layers, that makes sense, sahara. Your walls look like drywall. If one walks close to them, do they still look as good?

With the mess above you. Would look the same if I would do it, haha.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.