Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Property now sold, where do I go from here?
farfromhome
# Posted: 5 May 2011 08:55

I had previously posted that my country property and cabin had to be sold. I had anticipated that it would take quite a few months to sell it. I guess that I got lucky because it sold in two weeks for the full asking price.

I have been thinking about something different for the next cabin. I have two choices: 1. buy a small piece of land and have a cabin built for me. http://www.cabinkits.ca/sample1.htm What are people's thoughts about having one built, as per the web link. Or 2. Purchase and existing recreational property with a cabin already on it. I have located some properties in Ontario already with small 8 X 10 and 16 X 20 cabins.

Looking for general thoughts and opinions on which direction I should go.

bobrok
# Posted: 5 May 2011 11:28 - Edited by: bobrok

Preface: Congratulations on a quick sale; that in itself is good.

my very simple first thoughts:

1) are you in a hurry for another place? Its spring. you will loose a year building. My friend has been building his place on his 5 acres for 18 years now and he still hasn't turned over a shovel of dirt.

2) are you handy? You will likely want to make changes, however big or small, to any existing place you buy.

3) does location matter? If you find, for example, waterfront property (if you're so inclined, that is) w/o a cabin would you pounce on it before someone else grabs it? If you find large acreage (if you're so inclined) not on the water, but very private is this more important?

Scott_T
# Posted: 6 May 2011 08:03

If you have the means to buy a cabin already built/finished and it suits your needs go for it. Since time is so precious for most people and if you view the building process as drudgery this would be a good way to go. Good luck.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 6 May 2011 14:15

Hey FarFromHome.
Living in Ontario and having a bunkie up on the Bruce Penninsula...my only advice is to ensure you have a great understanding of the local bylaws..whatever you decide.
Don't assume anything....like buying a small cabin then assuming you can add on in time...or maybe you can...by spending $10,000. on a building permit!
Just giving you a red flag to watch out for, so your dream moves forward without the added stress:)
Cheers.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.