Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Property entry gates...need some ideas
WILL1E
# Posted: 19 Jul 2021 08:38

My wife has reminded me again that we need to put up some sort of gate at the end of both of our driveways (we are on a corner lot). We realize it won't keep people out, but it will be more obvious that someone owns the place and to keep out (in addition to our no trespassing signs that are already posted).

In the past i've either used trees near the drive or I cut 2 logs an installed them on either side and put a chain across it. I'm not a fan of the chain and would like to do something a bit nicer looking but won't break the bank. I don't think a standard cattle gate will work due to the slope and crown of the driveway. So i was thinking i could cut and modify one or if there's a better way to just weld one up from scratch, i could do that as well.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 19 Jul 2021 08:53

This what I did
66CEC2AB3FE6488C9.jpeg
66CEC2AB3FE6488C9.jpeg

paulz
# Posted: 19 Jul 2021 09:38

This is what I did.
1017171151.jpg
1017171151.jpg

jsahara24
# Posted: 19 Jul 2021 09:45

Mine looks a lot like Irrigation guys.....just keep it high so you can open it when there is a bunch of snow.....

curious
# Posted: 19 Jul 2021 10:06

This works for me and is okay when it snows too.
simple gate
simple gate

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Jul 2021 11:20

If they are closed when you are away and open when you are there the local hooligans will note that to 'know just when you are there and not'.
If you are going to have gates consider that even when there you close them behind you.

curious
# Posted: 19 Jul 2021 11:51

I close the gate all the time. Never leave it open

Curly
# Posted: 19 Jul 2021 23:28

A friend's cabin had a gate like Curious' gate long ago. He locked it with a padlock, but kept a key on a wire he slipped into the top of the gate post. Everybody knew the key was there, but no one messed with it because my friend was the Police Chief and everybody knew not to mess with the Chief's cabin! He probably didn't need to shut the gate.

At my old house we had a gate like Curious' gate. It was rigged with a hydraulic opener powered by a 12 volt battery charged with solar. It was very handy to push an opener button and watch the gate swing open without having to get out of the truck. It was especially sweet in the rain, snow. I moved and regret leaving that gate behind.

WILL1E
# Posted: 20 Jul 2021 08:47

I think i've found a reasonably priced gate that looks very similar to Curious'...so thank's for the ideas everyone!

Curly, i would be interested in seeing photos of your solar contraption for the gate if you have any. A quick google search of solar powered gate controls looks to be $$$. This isn't a requirement, but if i could purchase some simple components, do some soldering and 3D printing to get something that would work i'd be all ears!

Brettny
# Posted: 20 Jul 2021 09:06

We also just used a double farm tube gate like you get at a farm supply store. We generaly want to keep wheeled vehicles out. This means we also want to make it hard to steal things from the property. We keep the wheelbarrow locked up because this could help in removing things..but would still need to be passed over/around the gate by hand.

You will never keep humans out.

Curly
# Posted: 20 Jul 2021 23:12

Quoting: WILL1E
i would be interested in seeing photos of your solar contraption for the gate if you have any. A quick google search of solar powered gate controls looks to be $$$.

The gate opener was installed by the previous owner and looked like a professional job and was probably expensive. See the pics of the electronics and the cylinder. I would think someone handy in electronics could rig up something something cheaper. Maybe use the electronics from an old garage door opener and connect it to the cylinder??? (I'm not electrician) Also that gate system had an magnetic lock so the gate could not be shoved open by pushing hard on the gate and overpowering the cylinder. No gate is perfect, if a bad guy wants in bad enough he will find a way. That gate did encourage bad guys to go elsewhere and still allowed me to be lazy and not have to get out of the truck to open and close the gate. Win-win.
gate_electronics.JPG
gate_electronics.JPG
gate_hyraulic_cylind.jpg
gate_hyraulic_cylind.jpg

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 21 Jul 2021 08:10 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I have a 5 rail single gate, its 12 feet long, but the only 12 footer I have and will be replaced with a 16 footer. Sure, anything that goes down the road will fit, but it can be a tight fit if you dont his is straight on with a trailer.

Rail Road ties cemented into the ground works great to anchor it and a nice SpeeCo latch system, allows the gate to open either direction.

I nice chain and massive padlock to secure it. Weenie Master lock no longer in place, running an American 701 with 7/16 hasp.

The SpeeCo latch will hold gate up even if people or climbing on the gate rails.

Elevate it a bit if for snow. Tractor supply sells everything.
front40gate_sign.jpg
front40gate_sign.jpg
P1020394.JPG
P1020394.JPG

ICC
# Posted: 21 Jul 2021 09:59

I use a ranch gate similar to what toyota_mdt_tech has, but it tilts up to vertical to open. There is a pivot at the bottom left corner and the whole gate rotates up out of the way. There is a counterbalance system and a power-operated mechanism run by a small solar panel and battery pack. It is perfect for winter snow. That was not cheap but it does make going in and out very simple and effortless. That is here at home and it may get opened and closed several times a day. The cabin and other gates range from the typical swinging ranch gate down to barbed wire and sticks.

Depending on the property and space available it may also be a good idea to set the gate up the driveway far enough to make it possible to make turn in and oit space long enough to hold the longest vehicle and trailer combination that might be going in and out. Space to pull in and stop all the way off the public road while the gate is opened or closed. Mine is almost a hundred feet from the county road to allow for enough space for semi trailer livestock or hay loads.

gcrank1
# Posted: 21 Jul 2021 10:33 - Edited by: gcrank1

Youve probably heard about all the catalytic converters being stolen; the bad guys quick jack a car on one side and cut em off with a cordless sawzall.
They can cut a gate off the hinge pins easier than a cat-con.
Most places, even surrounded by trees and brush, will have a thin spot in the vegetation where with some little trimming out with a quiet cordless chainsaw and a 4wd or atv/utv they can bust through without bothering with the gate at all.
But I get it, we know we cant stop the dedicated thief, just the casual opportunists.
At this point we dont have a gate.
Maybe I'll kick myself later.......

jsahara24
# Posted: 21 Jul 2021 11:17

My theory is try to make my property less attractive, so I have a gate and a security system sign.....

Hopefully they go for another property, but as you said you can't stop someone who is really dedicated....

jsahara24
# Posted: 21 Jul 2021 11:18

Quoting: ICC
Depending on the property and space available it may also be a good idea to set the gate up the driveway far enough to make it possible to make turn in and oit space long enough to hold the longest vehicle and trailer combination that might be going in and out.

Very good advice.....

mj1angier
# Posted: 21 Jul 2021 11:34

We have a cattle gate, 16 ft. I know i will not keep a thief out, but I might get a photo of him.

Baby bear checking it out
PICT0154.JPG
PICT0154.JPG

paulz
# Posted: 21 Jul 2021 15:34 - Edited by: paulz

First thing you see looking over my gate. I took the No Trespassing sign off the gate. Makes it look like the place is unoccupied, doesn't carry any liability exclusions (from what I've read here) and no neighbors have them.
20210721_1203531.j.jpg
20210721_1203531.j.jpg

ICC
# Posted: 21 Jul 2021 16:32

At this point we dont have a gate.

Sure, gates can be defeated easily enough either with tools or by going through a fence or whatever. I like a gate because it keeps the "explorers" away. I don't want "tourists" driving into the property and turning around when they see somebody may be home. I post the state approved No Trespassing signs in accordance with the state regulations because it helps to have them if you ever have the need to go after someoe who may be caught on camera. Law enforcememt here (sheriff) will take the time to track down license numbers if a camera catches one, IF the property has the state legal signs posted.

gcrank1
# Posted: 21 Jul 2021 16:53

Here signs are not required, trespassing is defined as being on someones property without their permission, with or without signs. Hey, everything belongs to somebody, private, corporate or 'state'. Aint like its a mystery where Not To Go.
Pics dont lie. I would think the best ones would be like those traffic-cams that get both license plate and driver.

ICC
# Posted: 21 Jul 2021 19:33

Quoting: gcrank1
everything belongs to somebody, private, corporate or 'state'

True, but here in the west there are millions of acres of public lands; nat forest, BLM, many assorted state agencies, Tribal lands, etc. It can be very difficult to know whose land you are on as many of these public lands are interspersed with private like a quilt.

The trespass statutes can differ widely as to signage requirements.

Here's an online reference that lists all 50 states. Some might bring a surprise. https://www.bestofsigns.com/blog/no-trespassing-signs-laws-what-a-sign-can-cant-do-in -all-50-states/

gcrank1
# Posted: 21 Jul 2021 21:14

Good points ICC
Btw, WILL1E and I are both in the same state.

WILL1E
# Posted: 22 Jul 2021 08:15

I always had it in my head that if you had a gate and a thief bypassed it (cut lock, ran it over, etc.) and then stole something off the property (tractor, atv, etc.) the act of bypassing the gate to get in and eventually out either brought more legal consequences or further cemented the crime.

ICC
# Posted: 22 Jul 2021 08:58

I dunno about that WILL1E. Over the decades I have had to deal with a couple of break-ins, various thefts. It has always been the value of what was stolen or what was stolen (firearm theft brings more consequences than same dollar value of camera gear for example). Broken gates, doors etc and their repair costs have added "value" to the charges. But never has the fact that property entry was by driving through a brbed wire fence, bypassing the locked gate, ever been mentioned in the sentencing, other than to add dollar value to the costs involved.

gcrank1
# Posted: 22 Jul 2021 09:29

We are on good terms with our neighbors all around. If we had a gate and it was 'messed with' I expect they would call us and/or the police. Thats the good news. Most likely it would be too late and along with everything else Id have a gate to fix too..... I still remember the guy who said,"its the outsiders , not the locals, who put up gates and signs around here. Some of the bad boy locals dont much care for outsiders".
Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice.

ICC
# Posted: 22 Jul 2021 09:59

I meant to mention that broken gates and obvious signs of illegal entry can help with an insurance claim.

WILL1E
# Posted: 16 Aug 2021 14:14

Figured i should update this thread in case you don't read my project thread. Ended up buying these gates for around $140ea at Menards. Installed 2 on the main driveway and 1 on our secondary driveway. They work pretty well and constructed pretty decently.

Curly
# Posted: 16 Aug 2021 16:21

Nice work, WILL1E !

mj1angier
# Posted: 16 Aug 2021 19:25 - Edited by: mj1angier

Guy beside use got a enclosed trailer broken into 2 weeks ago on a Wed. He found it on Thur and call cops. They called and told me and I let our partners know ( they were going to be on sight Friday). Meth head came back on Friday night but our neighbor was still on site and caught him and held him at gun point till cops got there ( guy had a crow bar so had weapon...) He was from next town over. Out the next morning on $5000 bond. We went up on Sat and added more cameras. Crook took the bolts out of the hing side of farm gate

Brettny
# Posted: 17 Aug 2021 05:54

Here in NY that theif would be out with no bail before you even knew your stuff was stolen.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.