Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Dragging logs with an ATV and Log Arch
TomChum
# Posted: 11 May 2011 02:10 - Edited by: TomChum

Cutting down a bunch of trees for fire suppression and for the view, we ended up with a pretty big pile of logs. We used a 4WD pickup to drag them all into one big pile. Then I had to sort them (good wood vs junk wood) and move them to their next resting place.

I could have drug most of the logs them with a chain, but that really tears up the ground, and makes it loose and dusty, and wipes away all my pine needles too. I am trying/hoping that the natural grasses come back this spring and don't want to tear the place up. So I used a WHEELED Log Arch and a dolly to move the logs to their next piles.

Here are some pictures, I hope this helps others who need to do a similar job. Because the Log-Arch has to be up-ended to lift the logs, then you have to attach it to the ATV, with your face at the muffler, it's not pleasant to attach a hitch pin many times under these conditions. Attaching to the ATV with a simple chain over a trailer ball was a real time-saver.
ATV towing a log arch (blue) and the back end supported by a home-made dolly
ATV towing a log arch (blue) and the back end supported by a home-made dolly
The home made dolly
The home made dolly
Attaching to the ATV like this was a real time-saver.
Attaching to the ATV like this was a real time-saver.

TomChum
# Posted: 11 May 2011 02:22 - Edited by: TomChum

Northern Tool has a Log Arch+Dolly kit here:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200356854_200356854 note that the shipping for this items is a LOT. It attaches to the log with chains.

But note that it does not include a skidding tongs as with the Log arch HERE.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200422217_200422217 Skidding tongs cost about $80, so the Log arch for $169 (on sale now) including tongs is a good deal. So, it seemed reasonable to me to build the Dolly myself. There were times (on hills) that we had to attach a safety chain to the log bundle in case the tongs let go.
Log Arch and dolly by Northern Tool
Log Arch and dolly by Northern Tool
Log Arch with swivel skidding tongs
Log Arch with swivel skidding tongs

fpw
# Posted: 11 May 2011 08:38 - Edited by: fpw

Making an arch is not complicated. I pulled a couple of VW hubs from the junkyard, had a welder fabricate the frame, and added a winch. I think I have maybe $300 in the green arch.

I also have the logrite Jr. a little spendy, but very nice to have for toting logs around the site by hand.
DSC02028.JPG
DSC02028.JPG
Hauling_Oak.jpg
Hauling_Oak.jpg

TomChum
# Posted: 11 May 2011 10:13 - Edited by: TomChum

Seeing fpw's stuff reminds me of an important detail, that the cheap arches from Northern tool are,,,,, cheap. They are also lightweight though, which is a benefit at some level. As long as you can tell what its limits are, or can fix it yourself. I needed to move a lot of logs that are 4" to 10" and very few bigger than that, so lightweight works for me. My usage is mostly forest fuels reduction, (not feeding a sawmill!).

Northern Tool has a heavier duty arch that cost ~$800 and it's looks like it couldn't hold half of what fpw's green arch will haul.

Anonymous
# Posted: 11 May 2011 19:19

Thanks for this posting. With the recent storms in the area, we have many trees down on my mom's property. This will be very helpful.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 May 2011 20:42

Here is a set up too. A little spendy. Down on the bottom of the page is a video of it in action.

http://www.montanajacks.com/montanajacksquadskidderwchainkit.aspx

TomChum
# Posted: 15 May 2011 13:46 - Edited by: TomChum

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Here is a set up too. A little spendy.

You ain't kidding TMT that's spendy ($549!!!). A friend described something similar to me except his method was to use a car engine hood from a small car. At my place I am trying to get the grass to grow back after all the construction and logging, so I opted for wheels to minimize soil disturbance.

In comparison; the log arch easily lifts the log off the ground as you hook it up. With the Montana Jacks you'd have to lever & block the log up before sliding the skidder plate under. And at 1/4" thick steel, you'd want to hook it onto the ATV anytime you needed to move just the skidder itself. Also note that the wheeled log arch is designed to fairly easy to move a 12 foot log by hand (without using a dolly at the rear) and without an ATV.

My impression is that the plate skidder would be a lot more "work" than the wheeled arch. Benefits of the plate skidder:
-no flat tires, no breakdowns, ever
-you can skid boulders, and maybe stumps too

--------------------------------

Another detail regarding the log dolly that I built (regarding picture below):

You will need to transport all the equipment back to the next log, so I made them attach together with the skidding tongs. This method is easy and quick.
Dolly towed by Log arch's skidding tongs
Dolly towed by Log arch's skidding tongs
Just FYI:  Image of Montana Jacks skidder
Just FYI: Image of Montana Jacks skidder

TomChum
# Posted: 15 May 2011 16:07 - Edited by: TomChum

However..... On second thought....while thinking about lifting logs on, and off the dolly..... FPW's method of using a arch+arch is a good way. I wish I would have thought of using 2 arches.

backcountry
# Posted: 24 Mar 2012 09:28 - Edited by: backcountry

I built my log hauler a bit different its more along the concept of the second pic in the first post but my "stock" from the pole to the top on the angle has loops on it that a Choke my logs to. When I drive forward the choker slide up this and than I can fasten the chockers there as I snig them out. Its amazing what these buggies can pull when you get the nose of the log off the ground.

trollbridge
# Posted: 24 Mar 2012 10:17 - Edited by: trollbridge

For our big post in the center of our cabin which was about 11 inch diameter at the base and 22 feet long we hauled it out of the woods and to the cabin on a carpet/vinyl flooring cart. Was really easy. Just pushed it along by hand-I think 4 guys to guide it along.

Our other post we either pulled on a sled or tied to the 4 wheeler.

There was one that we needed when we did not have the 4 wheeler with us that just about gave us a heart attack. That one we pulled by hand through the woods using short logs that rolled underneath it. It worked, but was definitely not ideal!

neb
# Posted: 24 Mar 2012 19:34

amazing a 4 wheeler could pull that kind of load

TomChum
# Posted: 4 Aug 2012 12:54 - Edited by: TomChum

Quoting: neb
amazing a 4 wheeler could pull that kind of load

Not sure what load you are referring to, but the 4-wheeler had no problem.

Update on the log arch from Northern Equipment. The tires supplied on it only last a year. Maybe longer if stored in the shade, but the tires are definitely about the cheapest thinnest junk there is. If you get one with junk tires you may have a year or two to get your log work done, and during that time you should watch for better tires. I suppose a log arch that costs a lot more might have better tires, but then again it might have the same junk tires. The wheels are so weak that if you flatted a tire with a log on, the wheel would then crumple like tinfoil. All the rest of the Northern Eqpt log arch looks to be strong enough for personal use, it's all welded steel. It's flipped over a few times, hasn't bent at all, I think it's an OK product for a cabin-er, just get better wheels. Lightweight has its benefits too because you have to drag the thing around by hand a bit to position it. The arches are rated for size, if all the logs you'd move are within that size then you get the benefit of the lighter weight.

I would be interested to know if anyone can suggest where to get better tires. They are 8". A stronger wheel would be better too (spindle is 9/16 x 3 3/4" long). I'd consider a little larger wheel such as 10".

fpw
# Posted: 4 Aug 2012 14:22

As Tom indicates 4 wheelers will pull a great deal using a log arch. I've pulled many 32 foot 1300 lb logs through the woods with an 500 cc ATV and log arch

Tom,

I've beat the crap out my arch for a few years and it is still going strong. I used spare tires from the back of vehicles with VW hubs to make it tough. I have smaller arch with spindles similar to yours, it works well for moving logs around the site by hand, but I wouldn't rely on for a main arch, don't think it would hold up. You can find spindle tires at tractor supply stores, local fleet farm type stores, or online at places like McMasters Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/#pneumatic-tires/=ipe76n
Red Oak Chained in place to haul back to the ranch
Red Oak Chained in place to haul back to the ranch
Moving down the trail (this is the superhighway compared to the goat path coming up)
Moving down the trail (this is the superhighway compared to the goat path coming up)

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 4 Aug 2012 19:10

Sweet. I like the setups.

I use my JD and the posthole arch with a short chain and a grab hook.

Owen

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 11 Aug 2012 19:09

Here's a pic of a forty foot cabin log behind my little tractor. Then I use the front end loader to put it on a trailer.

Owen
post hole arch
post hole arch

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.