Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Shopping for tractor
scott100
# Posted: 14 Sep 2021 20:56 - Edited by: scott100

I'm looking at compact tractors for our property. 33 acres, about 12 of field to brush hog, 1/4 mile driveway to maintain, and trails in the woods that need some smoothing and drainage work (water bars, etc).

My son has my old tractor, a 1957 Farmall 350D. It was good for brushhogging, but useless in the woods (actually kinda dangerous there).

So I've pretty much decided I want a compact (not subcompact) in the 25 hp range, with a loader, box blade and 5' brush hog.

I've looked at 4 different brands and narrowed it down to what I think will work. Attached is a copy of a spreadsheet I did to keep things straight. I think it's down to the Bobcat. Any thoughts on that choice? The pricing is cash pricing. I've found that the 0 percent deals have an extra price built in, so not going that route. I did not look at Deere, Mahindra or New Holland. I didn't seriously look at Kioti as the Bobcat is very similar... also made by Daedong for Bobcat. So I just called the Kioti dealer for pricing.

The trouble with the current covid situation is there's virtually no stock and I end up looking at close cousins to the one I want and have to go from there. Looking at ordering it for the spring anyway, so not in a rush. The used market is basically non-existent around here this year, unless you want to pay close to full price for a used tractor. Thoughts? Does anyone own a Bobcat compact tractor here?
tractor.pdfAttached file: tractor.pdf

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 14 Sep 2021 21:18

Are there dealers close by that can support these machines?

scott100
# Posted: 14 Sep 2021 22:17

Yes. The most local is the Massey dealer. The Kubota and Bobcat dealers are about 15 miles away. The other makes are further out. All have been in business for a while.

gcrank1
# Posted: 14 Sep 2021 23:12 - Edited by: gcrank1

A good friend of mine with LOTs of experience with equipment (and has his own small pretty self sufficient mini-farm) told me last year to get one size bigger than what I was thinking, no matter what one I was thinking about.
Must haves per him:
diesel
4wd
bucket
back box
3 pt hitch
pref 'hydrostatic' drive
I had been thinking about a 25hp unit also, that would mean getting a 28-30ish (I think Manny's Kubota is 35hp, I really like running it, does serious work).
Ive decided Im better off hiring him or maybe just renting the tractor when Ive got enough projects to justify a trip and day's work.

Brettny
# Posted: 15 Sep 2021 07:43

The Japanese make and have made quality tractors of this size for a long long time.

If you cut your fields even 1x a year get a flail mower. The cut is far superior and they tend to be much smoother running along with not having to stick out 6-7ft off the back of the tractor for a 5ft.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 15 Sep 2021 08:04 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Scott, I did buy a brand new Kubota in 2017, the price was just under 18K with front end loader. I got the L2501. The "L" model is the smallest of the industrial sized units. If you keep it under 26 HP, you get away with no DPF emission garbage.
Mine is hydro-static, and my PTO HP is less by about 1 HP vs the shuttle shift. Hydro is the way to go. I did get a back-blade and sun/rain roof and it was just under 23K out the door, sales tax etc. The good news, all dealers are offering 0 down and 0% interest for 5 years. Mine is a fairly large tractor, pay attention to the PTO HP and what you plan on running with the PTO, they will have specs at to what min PTO HP is needed. The ability for a tractor to do work is based on its weight. My rear tires are also 3/4 filled with beet juice too.

Kubota is the cream of the crop, dealer networks everywhere.
Just delivered, 0 hours
Just delivered, 0 hours

snobdds
# Posted: 15 Sep 2021 11:05 - Edited by: snobdds

We bought a Massey Ferguson gc1710 back in 2016, it's a subcompact with backhoe. It's actually an Iseki tractor made in Japan, which if you know tractors, is a really good brand. I already have a mini-ex, but it's not easy to haul it up to where my cabin is, so I needed something that could do a lot and be easy to transport.

We have worked this thing to its extremes and it has held up fine. We dug all the post/piers for the cabin. It made a pad to move our small cabin onto. It has moved and dragged tons of trees for clean up. It is now being used to dig out a small hill to open up enough space to build an equipment shed to store a wood chipper, tractor and UTV's. This has been done in very rocky soil. I made a substantial tooth bar for it and gets after it.

I don't think we could do what we do without one. They are super helpful...
20210912_092011.jpg
20210912_092011.jpg
20210911_185308.jpg
20210911_185308.jpg
14250.jpeg
14250.jpeg

snobdds
# Posted: 15 Sep 2021 11:08

This forum software kinda sucks...

BRADISH
# Posted: 15 Sep 2021 11:34

I personally have a Bobcat 863 Skidsteer, but a few guys at work have the Bobcat 2XXX series tractors and all are happy with them.

They have the best retail support in our area, but we are a bit off the beaten path.

Not trying to change your mind, but is there a particular reason for you to go tractor vs skidsteer?

scott100
# Posted: 15 Sep 2021 11:59

That's a valid question. I've never really thought of going with a skidsteer. Skidding logs out is not high on my priority list, and I've never seen anyone brush hogging a field with one. I guess I've always equated skidsteers with logging / construction work, though a skid steer would be a better fit for trail maintenance.

BRADISH
# Posted: 15 Sep 2021 12:35

Quoting: scott100
That's a valid question. I've never really thought of going with a skidsteer. Skidding logs out is not high on my priority list, and I've never seen anyone brush hogging a field with one. I guess I've always equated skidsteers with logging / construction work, though a skid steer would be a better fit for trail maintenance.

Well i'm glad you have an open mind about it.

Personally in our neck of the wood there isn't much of a logging presence these days, but skidsteers out number tractors 2 to 1. I personally love mine, and the range of attachments I have or can get for it is simply tough to beat.

I found a new in the crate brush cutter for $2900 (which would normally be about $5K here), and used it to clear my property for my cabin. I also brushed out the field in front of the cabin we're staying at while we build ours.

Pound for pound I would say I get much more use and versatility out of my skidsteer than my buddies do with their tractors.

While I got a pretty smoking deal on mine, if you look and know what you're looking for - you can still find deals in the same price range you're looking at. For the price range you're looking at, it would need to be a used unit, but i'm sure you could still find a well maintained low-ish hour unit if you're not in a hurry and you have the cash.

I paid $25,000 for my 2000 863 (Non-Turbo) with 1280 hours on it. It came with forks, bucket, grapple, auger with 12 and 8" bits, tiller, landscape rake, 9ft excavator, and stinger. I have since added the brush cutter to the fleet as well.

For my uses, (typically pounding through the woods) the tires are more ideal than the tracks. In terms of trail maintenance I think I could clear twice the land of a tractor in the same time.

Anyways, it may be an idea worth exploring. It has been invaluable while building my cabin this year. I have a few action shots in my project thread if you're interested.

All this to say, a tractor may end up being better suited for you in the end - but a good skiddy with the right implements could give you more overall versatility. I wouldn't blame you for going either route - just don't not buy something!
Freshly_Brushed.jpg
Freshly_Brushed.jpg
brushing.jpg
brushing.jpg
brusher.jpg
brusher.jpg
tools.jpg
tools.jpg

BRADISH
# Posted: 15 Sep 2021 12:38

As I mentioned in the last post - pound for pound I haven't found anything better for 'stumpin' than my 863 with my heavy grapple. I suppose the right mini-ex could give it a run, but then you're talking a whole new price range.
Stump_pulling.jpg
Stump_pulling.jpg
Stump_pulling_2.jp.jpg
Stump_pulling_2.jp.jpg
bobcat_ex.jpg
bobcat_ex.jpg
bobcat_tools.jpg
bobcat_tools.jpg

DaveBell
# Posted: 15 Sep 2021 18:43

Japanese make the best tractors. Yanmar or Kubota.

Brettny
# Posted: 16 Sep 2021 08:41

A skid steer is a whole other animal vs a tractor and loader. Usualy the attachments cost more but theres not really much of a low end market for skid steer attachments like every farm store sells for tractors.
The skid steer will usualy have far more hydraulic flow.

Brettny
# Posted: 16 Sep 2021 08:50

A skid steer is a whole other animal vs a tractor and loader. Usualy the attachments cost more but theres not really much of a low end market for skid steer attachments like every farm store sells for tractors.
The skid steer will usualy have far more hydraulic flow.

jsahara24
# Posted: 16 Sep 2021 09:14

I have a Kubota L4200 tractor and we share a Bobcat 843 skid steer with the family. They both have their place but I would summarize them as follows...

* Tractor - Great for brush hogging, moving snow, laying gravel, light excavation, farming/food plotting...

* Skid steer - Heavy construction, much more powerful, lift capacity, etc....We have a backhoe attachment for it, but it leaves a bit to be desired in regards to reach and the bobcat bouncing around when hitting rocks....

BRADISH
# Posted: 16 Sep 2021 12:43

Quoting: Brettny
but theres not really much of a low end market for skid steer attachments like every farm store sells for tractors.

While i agree skidsteer attachments tend to sell for more, they hold their value pretty well. I can find nearly any attachment I want within 3 hrs drive on Craigslist, and I am in nowhere, Alaska. Plus their is always the rental option.

To each their own

Provolone
# Posted: 29 Jan 2024 13:30

Just last fall, I had to find a new tractor for our 10 acres. Wanted something that could handle snow, mowing, and some dirt work without being over the top. Picked up a 28 hp model with a loader and it's been solid. Paid cash too because, like you noticed, those 0% finance deals can be a bit sneaky on the actual cost.

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 30 Jan 2024 09:21

I vote for Kubota. Mine was new in 2014 and I've had no problems. It was built before they had to add the exhaust pollution control equipment. It's also a manual clutch, not hydro-static. It is a 38 hp and came with a backhoe. If I did not have the backhoe, I would not have been able to develop the property. There was just too much digging needed. Also, the terrain is hilly through the woods and the backhoe made it possible to dig on a hillside to cut into it for a trail. Once it was dug out enough, the front end loader and then the box blade finished it out smooth. BTW, without the loader on the front, you might need some weights since these new tractors seem to be a lot lighter and four wheel drive is not as affective without some extra weight.

Outbuilding Info
# Posted: 30 Jan 2024 10:23 - Edited by: Outbuilding Info

I had to laugh at your spreadsheet. I had a nearly identical one (with slightly different tractors). Its a nice way to compare them.

About a year ago, I settled on a Kubota LX3520. It is a new model and after waiting for nearly 8 months (not sure if this was the dealer or Kubota issue), I switched to my second, slightly smaller choice. That was a Yanmar SA425. I'll use it to manage a road, cut blackberries, chip up downed wood, etc.

It's my first tractor but so far, it has been simply awesome and amazing what you can get done quickly. I'm sorting out the implements for my uses which are likely different for each person.

Here's a video of the day I got the tractor.

Yanmar SA425 Arrival

I'm also posting videos as I get the attachments sorted out and so far, have really been impressed with this 3pt chipper.

Split-Fire Chipper/Shredder

Hopefully these help for those considering a tractor and what you can do with it.

Outbuilding Info
# Posted: 1 Feb 2024 10:13

One other thought regarding a tractor choice is that the real focus in the long term shouldn't be the price or even short delays in availability. You are buying the support (dealer and manufacturer as well) for the life of the tractor. Research the company and dealer and ask yourself whether they will come through if there is an issue, a part that breaks or a warrantee issue.

I read somewhere that visiting the parts counter at your dealer and getting to know that person before/as you purchase can pay dividends later. The salesperson may or may not stick around past the sale. Your need for support will remain.

There were a few questions I needed answers to that I ran by the somewhat generic website contact system for my manufacturer. The quality and timeliness (both were great) from the manufacturer's national team impressed me and helped me make my choice.

Just a few other thoughts from a relatively new tractor owner...

gcrank1
# Posted: 1 Feb 2024 11:08

Yep that! The parts guys will be the most contact you will have after the buy.

Brettny
# Posted: 2 Feb 2024 07:54 - Edited by: Brettny

.In this day becids a warrenty local parts availability isnt important because more than likely there going to have to order it. You can online shop your self just as easy with places like messiks.

I had a 1990 kubota tractor that needed a flywheel ring gear. No one in the country had one. In 4 weeks they had one shipped to me from Japan. I now own a 2003 new holland. Only time I have ever been to a dealer is for hydraulic fluid...because that's a bit harder to ship.

I should also note that these are pre emissions diesel machines. As a former diesel mechanic I wouldnt buy a machine that needs computer dealer support.

Brettny
# Posted: 5 Feb 2024 11:18

What I found interesting about those 0% interest tractor loans is your final price is actualy more..so it may be 0% intrest but your interest is built into the sale price.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.