Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Buying an RV
smitty
# Posted: 16 May 2011 23:53

I know I know.. It's not a cabin.. But..
I own the land already, and we just got evicted from our house.. No not for paying the bills.. We always paid on time. For 7 years.. Why he gave us such a fair time limit..
So anyway.. We need out of here, soon..
We were brainstorming, and the family came up with an RV..
Pull it out to the land. And set up shop. Go on summer vacation so to speak, while we build our cabin..
Does anybody know of any reason this might no be doable?
It sounded like a good idea to me.. A construction trailer while we build our small cabin.. Sounds good to me.

MtnDon
# Posted: 17 May 2011 00:02 - Edited by: MtnDon

Depends how long it takes to build the cabin. And how cold the winter is if you have to live in the RV in the winter. We used our class C, 23 footer to live in while we thinned trees and made up our mind where to build. Then for the next summer of the building too. Wintertime cold weather sucks up propane bad. RV furnaces also suck up electrical power for the blower, not bad if you are grid connected, not so good if you use solar or a generator. RV's are for the mostpart not insulated very well at all.

Other than that it worked well for us. It was nice to get the cabin to the point where we could live in it though.

smitty
# Posted: 17 May 2011 06:49

Thank you MtnDon, that is a very good point that hadn't crossed my mind, until I read it. The blower on the furnace would be something to consider. The fridge may also be electric most likely. It is off grid out there. So would be solar/gen..

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 17 May 2011 07:20

buy a used one, build your cabin BEFORE winter........and re-sell the rv next spring, when people are looking for campers. I sold a 33 ft, Coachman camper i had on a hunting tract i sold last year for 1000 dollars, it was nice, bathroom w/ toilet shower, bedroom, living room, real oak floors......ac/propane furnace/stove, fridge, micro all worked. Deals are out there. I picked it up for peanuts, had a leak in roof, i fixed that, replaced the bedroom floor, and used it 2 years for hunting and still made money.
I sold it and bought a 2006 pop-up with roof ac/fridge/stove /furnace.

bobrok
# Posted: 17 May 2011 07:39 - Edited by: bobrok

If you are looking to purchase a used RV locally here in NY I have a trusted friend who sells them and he is not too far from your land.

smitty
# Posted: 17 May 2011 11:46

I might take you up on that..
Do we have private messages on this forum?

bobrok
# Posted: 17 May 2011 11:50 - Edited by: bobrok

no, but e-mail me at offgridfanatgmaildotcom and we can talk

Rob_O
# Posted: 17 May 2011 20:43

Hate to hear your landlord is such a jackass, sounds a lot like something my boss would do to one of his tenants... But I digress

In addition to electricity, you will also need fresh water, and some way of disposing of used water.

Gary O
# Posted: 17 May 2011 22:07 - Edited by: Gary O

Well, Smitty, sounds like a bit of a forced situation.

Quoting: smitty
We need out of here, soon..

How much time is soon?

Quoting: turkeyhunter
buy a used one, build your cabin BEFORE winter........and re-sell the rv next spring

For sure

Cabi and I, and two boys (5 & 7, if I recall) did the RV thing in the mid '70s. It was something we both chose to do.
Lived in a 16' camp trailer for over a year.
One learns to adapt.
There'll be things not planned on, but what an adventure!
One thing, the smaller the RV and the more people, makes it a tad easier to heat in winter.
We all pretty much stayed outside during the waking hrs, and didn't suffer for it.
Never got sick.
Kept busy with stuff (not much option).
The kids reveled in it all.
The down side was I made the trek to work every day, so my time was limited (driving long distance).
Seems you plan on being there full time (?).
If so, you can get much more done.
Generators can handle any electric needs you'll have if no power near, but as Rob says, water will be the challenge.
I just filled jugs from town every day, but if you're homesteading, you'll sure need a source, be it sky (cistern), creek, spring, lake, or neighbor....unless you have a high water table....

I s'pose water is not the topic, but it'd be my very first concern.

This thread will be one of the most intriguing in the forum if you will have a means of continuing it.

smitty
# Posted: 18 May 2011 04:23

Well Gary O,
It's just another speed bump on the road.
He wants to retire. And I understand..
Just got to change the plans a little.
Eats into the cabin budget though.
You read my mind. Water is on my mind..

mag162
# Posted: 24 May 2011 10:45

there are a couple of travel trailers in the Utica Craigslist section right now for under 3k. I've been thinking of getting one for my property up in Herkimer, to go along with my little cabin.
good luck brother

ranchboss
# Posted: 1 Feb 2012 15:40 - Edited by: ranchboss

I have both but we will not take the rv boon docking it gets to dirty in side and out we have a 32 ft gulfsteam and a 12x20 cabin the rv is nice out of town but there is nothing like a cabin.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.