Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Wet spot in “dried in” cabin…
WILL1E
# Posted: 29 Oct 2021 19:39

Need some ideas. Got to the cabin this afternoon and found a small puddle on the floor. The cabin is completely closed in minus those openings in the soffit where the rafters intersect with the rafter tails over the top plate. I saw this same spot last weekend when I was up before I installed the front door and since this is directly across the cabin from the door opening I thought that’s where it came in from.

But now the front door is on. Not sure if this is a low spot and it actually came in someplace else or what. Any ideas how to figure out where it might have come in from given im not here 99% of the time?

WILL1E
# Posted: 29 Oct 2021 19:44

Trying to attach photos
73F648AFCA3445A8B.jpeg
73F648AFCA3445A8B.jpeg

Brettny
# Posted: 29 Oct 2021 19:48

Start looking for drops on the roof sheething and maybe even go on the roof. I wouldnt put a bit of insulation or baffles in until its found, fixed and tested.

WILL1E
# Posted: 29 Oct 2021 19:54

Another
6BF2BB75CF2742158.jpeg
6BF2BB75CF2742158.jpeg

paulz
# Posted: 29 Oct 2021 20:27 - Edited by: paulz

Put something on blocks above it, cardboard box, bucket etc.. If it gets wet, it's coming from directly above. If not, from somewhere else.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 Oct 2021 22:24

Is this over a joint in the roof? Could rain be splashing as it falls from one section to another?

How did you treat the end of the metal panel on the top section, water can wrap underneath and flow uphill using surface tension. You can get a hand brake or a pair of hand clamps and roll the edge over creating a drip edge.

Go above the puddle, look directly above it. That is where you need to look. A metal roof screw not tight? Or did you use standing seam?

Nate R
# Posted: 30 Oct 2021 07:25

Looks like there's a shadow there where sheathing from one plane meets another......like a sheathing "ledge" is there holding water/pushing it backwards slightly?

WILL1E
# Posted: 30 Oct 2021 08:11

The roof is just felt and ice barrier right now. The closest joint above it is where the first leg of the gambrel roof goes to the second and those plates go over that joint. I’ll try to go up as close as I can today and see what’s there.

NorthRick
# Posted: 30 Oct 2021 13:31 - Edited by: NorthRick

Quoting: WILL1E
The roof is just felt and ice barrier right now. The closest joint above it is where the first leg of the gambrel roof goes to the second and those plates go over that joint. I’ll try to go up as close as I can today and see what’s there.

Oh, you should have said that first. Felt keeps most of the water out, but not all.

If you are going to be insulating or other water sensitive stuff inside during the winter, I'd throw a tarp or plastic sheeting over at least that portion of the roof.

Brettny
# Posted: 31 Oct 2021 07:03 - Edited by: Brettny

I thought you paid someone to put the metal on? Yes tar paper is a prety crappy product for keeping water out. Rips easy and you need to put holes in it to secure it.

I wouldnt do a thing interior wise until your roof is finished. You have to put the roof on anyway so why not do it before to protect all the interior work your going to do.

WILL1E
# Posted: 1 Nov 2021 08:05

Thanks everyone! I dried up the spot and the neighbor is going to check in on it after we get the next rain up there. He said this past week the rain was blowing pretty hard, so i'm betting it got up under the open area of the soffit.

I am getting the metal roof put on my the contractors, just not sure which day this month they are coming yet. Regardless the insulation part will wait till they are done.

Also, i'm going to get the soffit ordered up so i can put that on the next time i'm up. That'll the keep the critters out as well as the wind and soon to be snow.

jhp
# Posted: 1 Nov 2021 09:24

Where is that extension cord going and was it there the whole time?

That's my guess for how the puddle ended up where it did.

Now where the water is coming from - whether the cord is run outside through the wall or window, or if the water is coming from inside condensation on the glass I don't know.

WILL1E
# Posted: 1 Nov 2021 09:57

Cord was not going through the window, i did that to get light in there to take the photo.

At the time of the photo there was only 1 window in the cabin. I doubt the window had anything to do with it. I would suspect the soffit area or the roof before the window.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.