Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Trouble Draining Water Heater
spencerin
# Posted: 3 Nov 2021 23:04

Actually drained it fine in the end, but had to use the relief valve. Long story, but before getting into it, is there a check valve on the hot side that keeps hot water from going back into the heater once it leaves, and if so, does it have a high PSI trigger before opening up? I know there's a check valve on the entry/cold side.

Brettny
# Posted: 4 Nov 2021 05:55

A normal tank water heater? If so you need to introduce air into the tank to get water out the bottom. You can do this by opening up a faucet to hot. How ever some times they get hard water build up in them making them slow to drain anyway.

spencerin
# Posted: 4 Nov 2021 07:42

That was the problem - I had all points of use open and it wouldn't drain. I blew into the drain hose and it definitely wasn't clogged (it's new anyway), and I could only blow about a half a breath in before I couldn't anymore.

The water heater was definitely sealed off from the system, but when I last ran water, everything flowed a-ok. If an obstruction somehow entered the hot side system, I think still should've been able to get SOME air flowing when I blew into it. That's why I'm wondering if there could've been a check valve installed that allowed water to leave at a certain PSI (20, for example). From what I could find, humans can blow only 1-2 PSI. So, a water pump could open it, but a human couldn't.

gcrank1
# Posted: 4 Nov 2021 11:45

Mineral deposits settle and plug the bottom of the tank.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.