Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Recessed Heater Mounted to Exterior Wall
spencerin
# Posted: 4 Nov 2021 10:22 - Edited by: spencerin

Cadet makes a small 120V heater that mounts to a stud and sits recessed into the wall. My best option is to mount it on an exterior wall. Should I expect much heat loss through the unit when not being used due to having to remove the insulation in the cavity (the unit is 4" deep)? Also, should I assume the insulation above and below the unit won't combust? Pretty certain I'm fine there, but I wouldn't know for certain until I read the manual, which would require buying the unit, and I don't want to buy the unit unless I know it's okay to use as proposed. I suppose I could call Cadet, but you all are way more fun.

ICC
# Posted: 4 Nov 2021 10:55

Have you tried to find the user/install manual online? I have PDF versions of pretty much every device I own or have owned as well as some I have considered purchasing. I see Cadet does have many manual listings on their website.

There will be heat loss through the wall section where insulation has been removed or reduced. That is the way it works. Whether or not it is a concern may be up to your level of acceptance. I do know that if this was being considered for new construction or a remodel where I live the reduced insulation would have to be considered when calculating the energy code requirements. We use REScheck on all permit applications and this would be a factor to be considered. REScheck does allow using more insulation in another place to make up for the heat loss/gain in another.

Whether or not the insulation above might burn will be dependent on type; foam, rock wool, fiberglass...)

Nate R
# Posted: 4 Nov 2021 10:57

You'll have some heat loss through there, for sure. How much? Assuming 1/2" ply behind it, and maybe some housewrap and siding, you're looking at about R0.7 or so. So maybe equivalent to the heat loss of a window about 4x the size of the heater. Not nothing, but not HUGE.

I just installed a Cadet Compak Twin in my cabin, a 3000W 240v version. Impressed with how quiet it is, and the metal box stayed cool to the touch in use. I'd have no concerns about the insulation around it, assuming it's not blown in cellulose.

Based on online reviews, these seem to have a reputation for the on-board thermostat dying eventually and getting stuck on. I bypassed mine and mounted a wall thermostat nearby instead. Controls temp within a degree.

Also, Cadet's site isn't the best....but there are downloads of the manuals and such here: https://www.cadet.glendimplexamericas.com/en-us/electric-heating-solutions/fan-forced -wall-heaters/com-pak-series-wall-heaters/cadet-10-pack-grille-kit-com-pak-electric-w all-heater-white#x-67081

That way you can see the clearances and such required.

So far, happy with my purchase. I have a 2nd 3000W unit going into my garage at my main house in a week or 2.

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 4 Nov 2021 11:09

Is there some reason you don't want to use simple baseboard electric heaters that mount on the inside?
No insulation has to be removed. They can be wired with an inline thermostat. The 120 volt electric goes directly to the wall thermostat, then to the units.
I used two in line in my insulated barn bathroom and
they have been wonderful.

Tim_Ohio

Brettny
# Posted: 4 Nov 2021 11:11

The problem could be that warm air can hit a cold piece of sheething..this causes condensation and mold.

Nate R
# Posted: 4 Nov 2021 11:22

Tim makes a good point.
There are oil filled baseboard heaters too that are less watts per foot, but then a cooler surface temp.

My issue with baseboard heaters is the wall space they take up, and how much pet hair and such can get stuck in them. I've reserved 2 spots for small ones if I find I need more heat, but I didn't want to devote 12-14 feet of of my wall space for them in my cabin.

gcrank1
# Posted: 4 Nov 2021 11:41 - Edited by: gcrank1

At one time I had a small, thin wall mount basic elec-coil heater, intended for home use as it had no back 'housing, just a face plate. I put it in a diy full size van camper conversion for when we had 'shore power'.
Wonder if they got 'coded out'?

spencerin
# Posted: 4 Nov 2021 12:23

All good stuff. I did find their manual after posting. I have fiberglass batt insulation. The manual didn't say anything about combustibles above or below, or behind, just front and sides.

I want to put it in a 48-sq. ft. bathroom. I could use a floor space heater, but I want to mount it to a wall to save floor space. I like the idea of a 500W baseboard heater, but with it being rectangular and wide, it might not fit where I want to put it. The Cadet's configuration meets my needs, other than needing to mount it inside an exterior wall. Decisions.....

Brettny
# Posted: 4 Nov 2021 20:05

Could you use a kick board heater under the vanity? Not sure if they would allow that per code/safety though. They must make some surface mount heaters that arnt terrible.

Nate R
# Posted: 5 Nov 2021 08:54

Brettny's idea is a good one, I think! Toe kick heater may be a good alternative.

spencerin
# Posted: 5 Nov 2021 15:16

Don't have a vanity in the bathroom, but liked the kickboard heater idea. That said, I did find Cadet makes a wall-mounted box for it, so all "problems" solved!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.