Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Stocking up on the Firewood
darz5150
# Posted: 29 Mar 2022 00:01

Since heating costs seem to be on the rise. I've been trying to stock up on the wood.
A buddy of mine that used to work for me, has a tree service. He's got 6 Oak trees to take down.
He drops them off up the road at another buddies house that has a 28 ton splitter, and a newer JD mid size tractor with a bucket. He sells firewood to the public and also to some of the BBQ joints in the St. Louis area. He gets a stupid amount of $ for un seasoned wood.
When I help, I get to take what I want. I have a wood furnace for my shop. With the way propane prices are going up. I think I will take what I can get.
Load of Oak
Load of Oak
Free oak
Free oak

jsahara24
# Posted: 29 Mar 2022 09:58

Can't beat free wood, especially when its oak!

I've been digging through my firewood pile from last year and the pickings are getting slim. Yesterday I found a nice section of 2 year seasoned oak, will keep us warm with the frigid temps and snow we've been having in PA lately.... Its been a real shock after having a week of 60s....

paulz
# Posted: 29 Mar 2022 09:59 - Edited by: paulz

I burned some oak yesterday, a friend dropped off a wheelbarrow load he cleaned off his yard. I have been burning leftover redwood from milling. It's nice because it lights fast but nothing beats oak. There's lots of it in my area, just not on my property.

travellerw
# Posted: 29 Mar 2022 10:52

I thought I had cut enough firewood to get us through the winter... Nope, we ended up buying some in early January.

We usually try to cut "standing dead", or one season fallen. Its essentially seasoned if you are picky about the parts you take. There is pretty much no oak up here, but we do have tamarak. Good seasoned tamarak is pretty darn good firewood.

Sigh. I will be cutting triple the amount next season.

slatecreek
# Posted: 2 Apr 2022 17:37

We hit a local amish saw mill that make nothing but 6x6 and 4x4 oak posts for pallets. We buy a truck load of cut offs for $15 which fit perfect in our small wood stove. The trees I drop go to my kids for their bigger woodstove.

Brettny
# Posted: 2 Apr 2022 20:28 - Edited by: Brettny

Oak is nice stuff after 2yrs but is also terrible about giving you splinters. I have about 2cord of 2yr seasoned oak. I got a 4cord log truck load split and stacked for the 2023-24 season. I'm actualy working on 2024-25 logs right now.

Brettny
# Posted: 2 Apr 2022 20:34

First trip to the property in 5 months.
20220402_190325.jpg
20220402_190325.jpg

Alaskajohn
# Posted: 3 Apr 2022 12:35

Nice picture Brettny! I certainly miss oak, but spruce and birch work just fine! My wood is technically free, but I have to go get it. After living here for 7 years, I am now riding out 2-3 miles to find the standing deadwood. I enjoy making the trails out into the wilderness to collect the wood and it helps keep me in shape!

paulz
# Posted: 7 Apr 2022 12:46 - Edited by: paulz

Been doing my morning warm up hand splitting and stacking the trees I cut above my solar panels and the remains of some recent milling. My panels are on the right side of the guest room in the photo. I rolled the bucked logs down the hill and that's where they landed.

Last night was the first night this year I didn't use the wood stove. Mid 70s today but colder and maybe rain coming next week so still some burning to do this year.
20220407_080249.jpg
20220407_080249.jpg

darz5150
# Posted: 8 Apr 2022 12:40

Here's a pic of my buddy's splitter.
Still have more of these big ass pieces to crack. But his splitter does pretty well on them. It has a Subaru pull start motor on it. Never seen one before. Starts first pull most all of the time.
Big oak chunk
Big oak chunk

nitch11
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 10:37 - Edited by: nitch11

I know chord wood is best, but...Recently i stopped at pallet manufacturer and they loaded my pickup and trailer with scraps for free. its burns fast but its nice if you want a short burn or just a few hours outside at the fire pitt...

paulz
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 11:05

I've been burning my old chainsaw firewood jig (friend made me a deluxe one) made out of pallets. They do burn fast but be careful, some are poisonous, can't remember what color they are painted, someone here knows..

darz5150
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 18:27

I think the blue ones are no bueno.
I grab pallets whenever I can. They make great kindling, and easier to start the fire 🔥.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.