Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Homestead Rescue TV Show
paulz
# Posted: 7 Apr 2022 09:39

Came across it this morning while flipping channels. They were putting a new foundation under a cabin. Looked a bit redneck, plus usual reality show drama.

Anyone watched it?

DaveBell
# Posted: 7 Apr 2022 12:24

https://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/homestead-rescue-fake-150132/

I've seen it a couple of times. As with many reality shows, they soon run out of good material and start injecting "drama". Some of the solutions they impose I don't agree with. One episode I saw the people where on poisoned land, mine tailings or something. Another they fenced in sheep with boulders. Any BS is too much for me.

gcrank1
# Posted: 7 Apr 2022 13:21

I havent seen that one; may not since we only have 'airwave channels'. I always hold out hope I may see a solution or get an idea in spite of the expected 'tensions' they want to interject. And pretty much any other programming is All Made Up.

Nobadays
# Posted: 7 Apr 2022 15:10

Most of that show is BS butthat said, they do come up with some ingenious ideas to solve problems. From what I read that family are full on hard workers in real life as well.

NorthRick
# Posted: 7 Apr 2022 18:35

https://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/homestead-rescue-fake-150132/

I've seen it a couple of times. As with many reality shows, they soon run out of good material and start injecting "drama". Some of the solutions they impose I don't agree with. One episode I saw the people where on poisoned land, mine tailings or something. Another they fenced in sheep with boulders. Any BS is too much for me.

If you click on the link, the guy on the left, Marty Raney, was my friend's neighbor. The guy is quite the character. He's been involved in a number of hairbrained things.

I have not watched that show. I usually don't make it more than 10 minutes into an Alaska (not) reality show before I can't stand it anymore.

mj1angier
# Posted: 7 Apr 2022 20:21

Well it's tv so I don't take any of is seriously...

Like most things ( including the internet) it's 10% truth, 80% BS, and 10% lies...

Alaskajohn
# Posted: 8 Apr 2022 09:30 - Edited by: Alaskajohn

I know Marty Raney but the last time I have spoken with him was before that show started. I have not seen that show so I can’t comment on it. He is well known in the Mat-Su valley as a free spirited character. He is a musician with published records, does contract work, and is an avid outdoorsman. He also donates time in support of community activities. He is famous/infamous for stunts such as sledding down the face of Mt Denali like in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYqyhAaL7iY

Marty is a hoot, and knowing him, this show is probably a bit on the zany side.

paulz
# Posted: 8 Apr 2022 10:48

He has a great mustache, I'm envious and have started growing one.

On the episode I caught they were fixing a cabin that had the back wall built on tree stumps, roots and all. They jacked it up with bottle jacks, set it on pallets, then dug the stumps out with a backhoe. Real or fake, it was interesting to watch.

Apparently they do this gratis. If I'm not mistaken it is no longer in production.

BobW
# Posted: 8 Apr 2022 12:36

I remember one where they put a floating water wheel in a creek to generate power. They made a lot of drama out of getting to put out power, but an ammeter showed the total output of less than 1000 watts as I remember. On a follow up visit the unit had been removed from the creek before the freeze. There was no power in winter. I heard Alaska gets dark at night in the winter.
One, in south Georgia, they drained a wetland, which is illegal I'm pretty sure.
They are colorful.

SCSJeff
# Posted: 8 Apr 2022 13:59

Well... I watch the show regularly and enjoy it for what it is... entertainment

Eddy G
# Posted: 11 Apr 2022 17:53 - Edited by: Eddy G

I appreciated the show and the Raney family.
It was entertaining and it sparked the imagination.
What I didn't like was the complete ignorance and incompetence of some of the people they helped.
One couple's idea of "range free" was just letting their pigs run completely wild...No management just completely roaming free...And then baffled how the pigs ran away or got eaten by predators.
Others lived like pigs themselves...
I guess they wouldn't need the Raney's help if they knew what they where doing.

happilyretired
# Posted: 12 Apr 2022 13:28

We've seen a few episodes, my wife likes it. I get the impression that most of the people on the show homestead for one of two different reasons:

1. They think it will be a cool way to live and relatively easy.
2. They can't hold a job in the real world, and thusly, are unable to afford rent or a house. So they move out to a shack in the woods because it's cheap.

People in group 1 find out quickly that living off the land is hard. There's a very good reason why all of our ancestors embraced electricity, hot and cold running water, central heat and AC when they became available.

gcrank1
# Posted: 12 Apr 2022 13:51

I am not a poorly skilled 'woodsman', nor is my wife, but we would be hard pressed to live off what we can hunt. We would def be thinner!
It underscores that a garden and small to large livestock is required for 'prosperity'. I grew up on a farm, none of that is easy.
Being a WI boy I also know that if you heat with just wood and use hand tools (saws and axes) you will spend all summer making wood to make it thru a winter. Doing 'homestead living' without power equipment could mean you need a community more than you think.
Looking back at the 'hermit' places Ive known about, and some of those people I have talked with, they live pretty slim and often die alone and dirt poor.

NorthRick
# Posted: 12 Apr 2022 16:47

Quoting: Eddy G
One couple's idea of "range free" was just letting their pigs run completely wild...No management just completely roaming free...And then baffled how the pigs ran away or got eaten by predators.

Ha! We have property near McCarthy, Alaska too. There is another reality TV show based there. Edge of Alaska. One of the characters is Jason Lobo, who has a lot about a quarter mile from ours. He also has (maybe had) pigs.

One morning we were out there and I was working on a pavilion. I heard a snort in the woods nearby behind me. I swung around fully expecting to see a bear.

Nope.

Two pigs were staring at me. This was before I knew Jason had pigs and it was a total surprise. We fed them some snacks and they came by every morning for the rest of our trip.

UpNorther
# Posted: 13 Apr 2022 13:52

I've seen the show quite a bit. What intrigues me most is the fact that most of these families are trying to survive off grid with hardly any knowledge to do so.

Marty and his family seem to be genuinely good people.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.