Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Tent type Stove in a Tiny Cabin
nitch11
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 10:07

Thanks for having me on the forum. We build a tiny cabin from whatever we could find on Lake Superior. I dont really have a bunch of funds. I installed a Guide Gear tent stove inside of a cabin. Im sure this is frowned upon...I made a youtube channel and show this stove several times. I know i will catch flak...Does anyone know of a tiny wood stove thats really really cheap that might be made more for indoor use? cabin is only 12x14 so it needs to be really small. Thanks for your help. Here is the video with the stove in it URL

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 10:22

Hmmm
Apparently only ONE post and already a link.....
Nope, sorry, I Aint Going There Until You Have Been Around A While.
With NO links.

nitch11
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 10:27

Understood. I just started the channel this morning. lol. I know it seems fishy but its not...You dont need to watch the video you can just google "guide gear wood stove" and give any thoughts, thanks

DaveBell
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 10:40

checks out okay.

nitch11
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 11:01

Quoting: DaveBell
checks out okay

Thank you!

Bruces
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 13:41

Your use looks perfect for something like a cubic mini stove ,but they are expensive if you don’t have a lot of cash .I build wood stoves out of propane bottles and air compressor tanks ,and one would easily heat up your cabin .A lot of people use them for ice fishing huts ,so somebody local to you is probably building and selling them too .If it was me ,I would get a 30lb tank ,for a cabin so it will take more wood and burn longer ,but certainly a 20lb tank would work .I often give my stoves away ,but I have been offered a few hundred $$ for them from strangers .Unfortunately ,they are not certified if that matters to you .You can look on the web for details if you would like to build your own ,expired tanks are easy to come across so if you are a scrounger you could build one for zero cash .

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 15:13

Pls forgive my initial response
Ive had quite a few stoves, from small-ish tent stoves on up (Im 69). We used to do 'rendezvous' events, the Gold Std way back was the 'Dog Stoves' (ie, 2 Dog, 3 Dog), you would pick the size dependent upon the depth of cold or size of lodge you had to heat. They were Great but were not cheap, what of quality ever has been? You might find a better used stove than what you now have buy searching sites historical re-enactors frequent. Buying new is always a bite.

Brettny
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 15:51

I have a normal cast iron stove in a 10x14 shabin. Paid under $150 for it locally. It's used and needed to be cleaned up a bit but works well.

nitch11
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 16:16

Quoting: gcrank1
Ive had quite a few stoves, from small-ish tent stoves on up (Im 69).

Hey, no need to apologize. I understand perfectly how its sounds fishy. Thanks for your input!

nitch11
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 16:21

Quoting: Bruces
Your use looks perfect for something like a cubic mini stove

Thanks for responding! I uploaded a video before on a different channel and the first 2 comments were how that stove shouldnt be indoors. They are probably correct. The metal is very very light gauge! Even with that little baby guide gar stove, it will get so hot in there even at 10 below zero. The fire box is a little small but so when you sleep you need to get up every hour about. I wanted something with a bigger fire box but was worried it would get to hot and i might need to open the windows. I like the idea of making one from a bigger propane tank or buying that someone else had made. Propane tanks are very high quality steel as well. Thanks for you input. Im going to do some research now!

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 17:27

The key to controlling a burn is air control, too many air leaks in the draft make them burn the wood fast and hot. I know Ive seen those little tin stoves in canvas tents and ice shanties, so you arent the first.
For our much larger one room cabin, 16x24', the required clearances from combustable surfaces made it have a huge 'footprint' into otherwise living space. And our location next to a very tall pine stand made for iffy chimney drafting; often hard/slow to get a decent burn going and opening the door had smoke often backdrafting into the room
We went to a small LP furnace. Ive read about folks with bunkies using little diesel fuel heaters with success too.

DaveBell
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 20:36

Quoting: gcrank1

Your response was good. Never click on the link until its checked. I have security software that prevents malware by screening any site I open. Even before I do that, I do a manual screen. Thanks Gcrank for the safe practice.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.