Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Shingle Fix
paulz
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 10:35

My widowed neighbor (same one with the log splitter) had a branch come through the roof. I'm going over there today. She sent me a photo. Looks like she needs a new roof but more rain coming this week. Also look like regular tar shingles. Can I slide that one out and slide a new one in, or is it better to just Black Jack a patch over or under that one?
Screenshot_2022041.png
Screenshot_2022041.png

Nobadays
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 10:49

As a temporary fix I'd do both. Clean the area around the hole and carefully lift the shingle/s directly above. Pull the stick out and Blackjack the area around the hole... then slide a new shingle under the one/s above to cover the area with the hole. Put a couple roofing nails in the one/s above to hold the shingles in place.

nitch11
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 11:04

Take a putty knife and wiggle it under the shingle above. Do this very gently as they look very brittle. Tar the hole and slide a new shingle under it. May want to have a heat gun, bend slowly or most likely it will break...

pabear89
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 11:58

Old shingles are very brittle and do not take tar seal well.
That said, clean off area and use propane torch to heat shingle where patch is to be made first.
While warm cover with tar and place a new shingle patch to cover hole then seal edges.

paulz
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 14:29 - Edited by: paulz

Thanks guys. All done. Slid a new shingle under, cut a piece the size of the hole on top, glopped the whole thing with Blackjack.

She has an amazing property. Check out this foot bridge above a creek, must be 100' at least. The roof was actually on her guest cabin, just visible on the hillside in the photo.

She is now dating..
20220419_104943.jpg
20220419_104943.jpg

Brettny
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 15:53

You can use a propane torch to heat the shingle above it and pull it out. Just rip the shingle off the nails and bang them in. Then put a new one in. No sealants needed.

That roof does look terrible.

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Apr 2022 17:30

Sure looks like tear that off asap and do whatever it takes, new deck and all, to save the structure. That is, if it isnt too far gone already.
Tell her to date a roofer for a while

Bruces
# Posted: 20 Apr 2022 07:13

A little piece of ice and water under that wouldn’t hurt .

paulz
# Posted: 20 Apr 2022 10:55

Quoting: gcrank1
Tell her to date a roofer for a while

Ha, I did. She said she was dating an accountant or something. I said she needs someone more useful.

I also said if I ended up single now I would just stay that way. She said couples live longer. I said no, it just seems that way. Old joke..

I saw many old repairs on that roof. Most had been done with sheet metal slid under and tarred over. She asked if a metal roof would be better. Probably so, have to tear off the old roof. Easier and cheaper to shingle over the existing maybe?

gcrank1
# Posted: 20 Apr 2022 11:37 - Edited by: gcrank1

Depending upon what the rafters are and the rest of the structural integrity shingling over may add too much weight (and it may have been shingled over before?
(I still regret the one I shingled over)
If the rest of it looks pretty good, and worth saving, the roof probably needs to to pulled properly down to the deck, then decide. That job should go pretty quick, demo is easy compared to 'the fixes' we all end up doing.

ICC
# Posted: 20 Apr 2022 14:17

Quoting: paulz
Easier and cheaper to shingle over the existing maybe?

Easier in a way, but I never liked the idea of shingling over old ones, to the point that I once turned down a job because that is all the homeowner wanted to pay for. I understand that sometimes money is short, but I would rather not do that. There were enough times that we discovered damaged sheathing under the old shingles that made me really think it was foolish in the long run.

paulz
# Posted: 20 Apr 2022 15:07

OK, I'll pass that on. She'll be talking to the roofing companies, getting estimates and opinions, I won't be involved.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.