Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / need advice on what i need for myself
newtooffgridliving
# Posted: 9 May 2022 14:21

first off let me say, this is likely to be long cause i need to explain my situation, but i really need advice so id appreciate you reading and replying. three years ago i had a brain tumor, which left me physically disabled. (i use a walker) im confident in my abilities now, and i dont want to live with my parents anymore and i've always been drawn to this living style, and planned to live in a van/homestead type situation but that really isn't possible anymore. my grandpas house is on about 40 acres, and hes always wanted a cabin so when he mentioned it i seized the opportunity. it would go on top of a hill in a field that has a spring i could put a well in, and he already has a wood stove, although im apprehensive about that. i wouldn't live in it year round, but im wondering what would be suggested for me to have. i dont require much, but obviously convenience is paramount. i haven't done much other research so this is just a starter probe to flesh out the idea more. i thank you in advance for thr helpful replies!

Fanman
# Posted: 9 May 2022 19:15

You know what your disabilities are, we don't, so you know better what you need than any random person on the internet. That said... can you deal with stairs? A long walk from your car? Do you need electrical power for any medical equipment? The ability to contact help quickly? Can you manage firewood, water, etc.?

Brettny
# Posted: 9 May 2022 19:58

A van. You can transport it to places to get repaired, pay less to no tax on it and you can move it off property if ever sold. Dont expect to make your money back on it though.

gcrank1
# Posted: 9 May 2022 21:39 - Edited by: gcrank1

Or a 'bunkie' on a trailer frame?
Fwiw, in the 1980's wife and I designed and built by hand (both able bodied at the time) a 12x24 cabin with 12x12 loft mostly from an 1897 vintage barn I tore down. It was not easy for us, but doable. Now that we are 70ish with phys. 'issues' it takes at least 3x as long and we are challenged to just keep up with things.
We built it on my my dad's farm. I not-so-fondly remember him saying about 1/2 way through, "remember, you are building on somebody else's land".
But he was right.
A few years ago the farm got sold settling the 'estate' and we lost the cabin. Didnt get much to compensate for it either. How I wish we could have hooked up with a truck and moved it. Of course, to do that it couldnt have been as big.
And dont forget the local building codes, restrictions and requirements.
We also had a full-size Ford van for about 6yrs? with a diy simple camper conversion. Park it about anywhere (now I guess they call it stealth camping) and slip away early. With a piece of land to use you could have a deck platform or even pavilion to pull up to and enjoy.
A 'rolling bunkie' would be similar, but semi-perm, and being on wheels (ie, not attached to the ground) might slip between the regs. My 'ice fishing shanty' serves multiple purposes.....

newtooffgridliving
# Posted: 10 May 2022 15:40

thanks for the replies. let me explain some more. i dont drive and if i needed anything my grandparents are less than a mile away. i just want a simple one floor shed basically but more than a shed obviously. i can get to the area easily cause i have an electric offroad bike, i dont need power for medical equipment, but i will need it for other things especially remote work on my laptop, and internet shouldnt be an issue. its not super secluded, it may be more money but people id live around have it so its possible. im more looking for ideas on what utilities ill need and how to go about them, specifically a toilet. im pretty eco-friendly minded so a composting toilet probably, but suggestions are welcome!

travellerw
# Posted: 10 May 2022 17:33

Based on what you have posted so far, I think I would suggest you start with an RV.

It will be a relatively cheap and easy way to get simple amenities and help you decided what you need... or even if you are going to like it. Plus it will be safe and up to code for all those things.

If you like and are determined to go a cabin route, then the RV can be used while you slowly build!

gcrank1
# Posted: 10 May 2022 20:15 - Edited by: gcrank1

Look up online for a book on building small garden and utility sheds (I always see them at our Menards book rack). That will give you a fairly comprehensive look at what it takes to make one, and iirc, complete with a lumber list.
Also online is lots of info on the '5 gal bucket diy composting toilet'. That is what ours is and works fine; we use fairly fine sawdust from a friends woodworking shop and so far just one medium size heavy duty plastic garbage can as the main composting bin. With just the 2 of us at the cabin 'part time' it may take years to fill that bin. Unlike a traditional pit toilet no human waste gets into the ground or water. That is just what the authorities want, NO contamination. Im good with that too.
We also have a 40ish gal black plastic 'pickle barrel with a top filter to catch rainwater for utility. The metal roof flushes clean pretty quick.
We carry in fresh potable water in a 3? gal Coleman cooler. We have a stainless steel one that size in the cabin we use from and rotate to utility at the end of the stay and fill with the fresh. Always plenty of potable that way.
Grey water is dumped into a simplified 'french drain' pit.
We are totally off-grid, simple elec is a 12v battery 'bank', a 300Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter and a regular house type 'power strip'.
Which battery chemistry to choose and how to recharge it becomes a Whole Big Topic of Its Own.
And a 1700/peak 2000Watt Inverter Generator to run tools, small microwave oven, 'high elec draw' stuff. Whenever it is running so can a battery charger.
Heating; a properly installed wood stove (inc. the expense of a proper chimney) will take up a LOT of space inside a small cabin. Check the 'clearance specs' for wood stoves. Cant one compromise on all that 'specs' stuff? Is dying in a burning structure part of your plan? Elec heat is out. Small diesel furnace might work. We went LP.
That should be enough for you to build a dream on cause it all works for us.
Good Luck

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.