Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Desert dwellers?
Borrego
# Posted: 2 Jun 2011 12:19

Anyone else out there got a place in the desert, any desert? I thought since the desert is so unlike 'normal' cabin life - everything is backwards, the seasons, building techniques - we could start a sub-forum of sorts to share tips and stories, Just a thought.......

Jackaroundjackie
# Posted: 4 Jun 2011 10:53

I have a small cabin near the beach in Puerto Penasco, Mexico we are in the Sonoran Desert and you are right everything is backwards. The summers are unbearable because of the heat and humidity, the fall,winter and spring are perfect.
IMG_1262.JPG
IMG_1262.JPG
P1030120.JPG
P1030120.JPG

Borrego
# Posted: 4 Jun 2011 13:58

Nice! I wish we had water anywhere near! We do have a well and tank, but you can't jump in it.......
Nice looking cabin, did you build it?

Jackaroundjackie
# Posted: 5 Jun 2011 11:21

I had workers build it. It's been a project since 1998.

Jackaroundjackie
# Posted: 5 Jun 2011 11:24 - Edited by: Jackaroundjackie

We are also in the Pinacate Reserve, the photo is about 15 miles north of Puerto Penasco, also known as Rocky Point to Arizonan's on the Sea Of Cortez. I live in Maricopa Arizona, also desert its about a 3 hour drive door to door. Right now around the area the sea trout are running, also alot of flounder from shore but not off of this
beach. Thanks

Anonymous
# Posted: 18 Jul 2011 22:34

I got a lil piece of desert near lake Los Angeles,..I tried to get som'n that was far enough out to be left alone yet close enough to work if I wanted to live full time,..apparently I should of gone farther out because right away the people that own the production co. "Club Ed" Down the way feel like they own everything in the area so they leave threatening letters on my trailer telling me they will rat me out to the authorities if I don't do everything properly with a permit, yadayadayada..what a way to greet a neighbor.. Last time I went to check on it it was broken into and nothing was stolen,.something a nosy neighbor would do not a vandal..so now I'm hesitant to build my cabin there knowing I will be subject to the same kind of b.s. U deal with living in the city, pretty bummed might have to forget it and move on to southern Oregon.

azbearhuntr
# Posted: 23 Jul 2011 12:41

Hey all, I just found this site while "working"...I live in Arizona and am looking to buy a few acres near Concho in the high desert. Basically it's grass, junipers, and the occasional pinon pine tree. I totally agree that arid or semi arid land topics would be a fantastic idea, you can't usually just dig down a few feet for supports and whatnot for example.

Cazm1
# Posted: 11 Dec 2012 14:26

Ya that happened to us in same area, just watch "L.A county's war on desert rats". It's actually the law enforcement agency putting the threatening letters on peoples property, in most cases shown up with their assault rifles to post notices to comply, not sure why they want to keep everyone out of the desert but who knows just have to look for another area I guess that hasn't been over run by fascists..can't keep us out of the desert for too long because it's absolutely beautiful..thinking about trying out the "super adobe" method next, if you are in the desert and haven't heard of that check it out it's pretty cool..

JRanch
# Posted: 16 Dec 2012 15:55

We live near Florence, AZ and have a piece of high desert approx. 25 east of the stateline AZ/NM on Hwy. 60. We love it up there, we just purchased it about three months ago. The property borders the National forest and has water and electric already set up (we bought it as a foreclosed property, previous owners ran it). We are at an elevation of 7810' and are 220 miles from our door to the property.

We will be pulling our travel trailer up there for the spring/summer/fall season; a little too cold in the winter.

We have owned other property in NM in the past, although it was nice, it was just a little too far, it's was another 35 miles from our new property.
DSC00590.JPG
DSC00590.JPG
DSC00591.JPG
DSC00591.JPG
DSC00800.JPG
DSC00800.JPG
DSC00794.JPG
DSC00794.JPG

Borrego
# Posted: 16 Dec 2012 17:18

Nice!! Now that is purty!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.