Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Water tank cleaning
paulz
# Posted: 29 Jul 2022 14:21

I'm letting my green 750 gallon water tank run empty so I can level the pad which has settled. I've taken it down once before and cleaned out the layer of sediment at the bottom, wasn't easy through the 16" cover. Wondering if it's worth the bother again. The outlet is several inches above the bottom and the thin layer of sediment. What do folks do with water tanks that can't be easily cleaned?

Nobadays
# Posted: 29 Jul 2022 14:31

I duct tape a piece of 1” pvc to a garden hose and run it down the hill. Get a siphon going and “vacuum” the tank.

Brettny
# Posted: 29 Jul 2022 16:07

Surely the tank has a large outlet at the bottom. Can you tip in onto that edge so the outlet is at the bottom and use a pressure washer?

paulz
# Posted: 29 Jul 2022 16:52 - Edited by: paulz

Great ideas, thanks. Don't know if my pressure washer hose is long enough to reach up there but I will have to tip it to level the pad. The vacuum idea would certainly work.

I can't tell yet how much sediment is at the bottom, been about 4 years I guess since I cleaned it, and it was not much. Just wondering if it's a matter of course for water tanks to get the bottoms cleaned? It would probably take 50 years for the sediment to reach the outlet port.
20220729_134219.jpg
20220729_134219.jpg

gcrank1
# Posted: 30 Jul 2022 20:34

Every fall I drain and clean my 50ish gal. 'pickle' rain barrel. Got in that habit after waiting until spring one waayyy back; hardened, aged scum was hard to deal with .
But it has a big top and I can reach the bottom with a stiff broom. Clean, flush and turn upside down for winter. Come spring I can just set it all up in short order and good to go.
I like a clean barrel!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.