Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / IBC Totes for material storage?
WILL1E
# Posted: 16 Aug 2022 15:05

Looking for some creative inspiration here!

So winter is fast approaching and reality is setting in that i won't have the time and likely, funds, to build a garage this year I need to switch to plan B. So i'm buying a larger Shelter Logic unit (12x24 i think) to house things that are either currently sitting out in the elements or stashed elsewhere.

One of the items is all the leftover building materials i have currently stashed under the cabin. Not only is it unsightly, but likely a critter hotel as well. Plus, i'm going to add a 3rd beam down the middle of the cabin before winter as well.

I have a couple leftover IBC totes with the metal cages and metal pallet. I'm trying to think how I could leverage 1 or 2 of those tote cages/pallets to build a material storage rack for the leftover plywood, 2x lumber and some corrugated roofing. Rather than just setting the sheetgoods on top of the IBC cage and then stacking the 2x lumber on top, i'd like to be more creative/organized so that i can access either the lumber or sheet goods without having to unload everything that's stacked on top of it. Surely someone has come up with something creative!!

The only concept i can think of is to put 2 of the cages on their sides and set the sheet goods on top of the cages and then run the longer pieces of lumber through the cage openings. Any smaller pieces of 2x could then get stacked on the inside and bottom of the cage.

gcrank1
# Posted: 16 Aug 2022 19:50

Using them as a 'rack' was my 1st inclination.
I dont remember what size the openings are but a recip. saw can cut out some cross sections to make bigger openings for wider planks.

Brettny
# Posted: 17 Aug 2022 04:46

Do you get snow? How often do you get up there? 8in of snow can destroy one of those shelterlogic buildings.

WILL1E
# Posted: 17 Aug 2022 08:03

I'm up there on a fairly regular basis, especially now that I have a cozy cabin to go to!! I have the 10x10 Shed in a box by Shelter Logic up there currently and (knock on wood) I have had zero issues with the snow and it.

gcrank1
# Posted: 17 Aug 2022 09:23 - Edited by: gcrank1

The quonset (round topped) fabric sheds let snow slip much better than those with the peaked roof.
That said, Ive a small peaked roof one (dont rem the brand, but on the cheap end) that I added more roof supports using plastic elec conduit zip tied in and used heavyish cardboard runners at the 'corners' to take the stress off the roof fabric (where Ive seen them fail). Sun also takes a toll on the fabric so Ive used a mid-priced plastic silver tarp over the top.
My cheap 10x10? is going on 10yrs now and other than 1 side of the door zipper that went bad in yr 2 it has done well.

Brettny
# Posted: 17 Aug 2022 15:35

10yrs on one..that's impressive. I got 3yrs out of a "garage in a box" I was out there cleaning the snow off it and around the sides multiple times each snow some times. Came home one day to a 20' rip right down the center of the peak.

gcrank1
# Posted: 17 Aug 2022 15:49

Im a bit surprised myself , especially for here in south-central WI where we get wind and can have real snow.
I looked at the failure points on fab-sheds others had and figured that extra supports, some kind of 'runners' under the bends and keep the sun off should help. Yep, it all did. Id do it again for sure and certain.

NorthRick
# Posted: 17 Aug 2022 16:04 - Edited by: NorthRick

Man, I'm like 0 for 7 on any of those portable shelters withstanding snow loads. Over $2k crushed before I finally gave up and absolutely will not buy another one.

gcrank1
# Posted: 17 Aug 2022 17:33

Well, we 'can have real snow' but I think maybe you 'always get real snow'?

Brettny
# Posted: 17 Aug 2022 20:48

Guess it depends on real snow. Although mine did rip all to hell on a fall day. I do still have the frame and if I ever build anything with it it will be supported better and have metal roofing in a way to shed snow.

darz5150
# Posted: 18 Aug 2022 00:08

I have a pretty old shelter logic tarport. Had to put another tarp across the top after I got a puncture from a falling limb. And I finally broke the pull tabs off the zippers. I just looped a zip tie in place of the metal yanker. It actually works better than the zipper tab. Wish I would have done it when I first got it. If I ever need to get another one. It will be shelter logic.
Another thing that does help with tarports, is when you assemble it. Run strips of duct tape on the upper crossbars. It will help prevent the tarp from rubbing through.
Quoting: Brettny
and have metal roofing

We took regular barn roof panels, and put them on the roof section on top of the tarp. So you have a metal roof, and still have enclosed side walls.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.