Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Question on Overall Cabin Terms
RobSK
# Posted: 19 Aug 2022 13:40

Hi there,

I've stayed in lots of cabins my family has.. but now I am debating building my own. I am handy... but not well versed on all terms. My vision is a cabin built on cement blocks with adjustable posts (to re-level every so often) supporting the beams that the floor sits on. Does anyone have a handy reference to what all the pieces are called? (e.g. joists, floor bearers, etc. etc.) Want to make sure I can google using proper terms as I do my research and begin to plan.

frankpaige
# Posted: 19 Aug 2022 18:36

I wasn't all that experienced either. I started by visiting libraries, second hand book stores, all the internet web sites I could find. The books I found gave a lot of info on nomenclature.
It's a process, enjoy it. Soon maybe you will kicking back on the cabin's deck enjoying life
Have fun

gcrank1
# Posted: 19 Aug 2022 19:11

Your 'foundation' types to choose from will be pretty much predicated by your type of soil and size of structure.
And dont skimp/cheap out down there, even some overkill on the foundation is good.
Once that is done and you have the deck done dont suddenly decide you can build it bigger/heavier (ie, like make it 2 story rather than the 1 story you designed the foundation for.

moneypitfeeder
# Posted: 19 Aug 2022 19:21 - Edited by: moneypitfeeder

Take a look at all of the articles under "Build Cabin" here, they give a great overview of all the stages of construction and the terms you will encounter. Build Cabin

Brettny
# Posted: 20 Aug 2022 06:57

The beams that carry the load to foundation posts or blocks is called a girter. It can be called a carry beam or runner though.

curious
# Posted: 20 Aug 2022 09:37 - Edited by: curious

Isn't another name for a beam, "girder", with a "d", not girter? It is spelled with a D in the IRC and every other reference I have used. Let's not confuse noobies more.

Brettny
# Posted: 21 Aug 2022 06:07

Your right. Girder.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.