Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Flowering Plants for Dummies
paulz
# Posted: 23 Oct 2022 10:02

A friend came over the other day, first time in over a year. "Same old Shabin", says he. Well, thanks a lot.

I have been wanting to make it look a little more homey and add some plants, hanging and also maybe a planter box. Two obstacles standing in my way are no experience with plants and the environment here. Heavy tree canopy, lots of shade, limited direct sunlight, foggy wet winters.

With that in mind, what flowering plants would best survive? Could they survive year round (no snow, rare freezing temps), a few 90F days in summer.

ICC
# Posted: 23 Oct 2022 20:50

Local gardening clubor association? Here there is an active bunch of green-thumbers; access via public library folks

DaveBell
# Posted: 23 Oct 2022 23:14

Use Google????

https://gardening.org/plants-that-grow-without-sunlight/

Brettny
# Posted: 24 Oct 2022 09:05

Hosta. You can split the stuff every few years and grows in the shade great.

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 24 Oct 2022 09:55

What zone are you in? We love our Canna Lilys and Elephant Ears. They are a kind of perennial bulb. They cannot tolerate freezing temps and the bulbs have to be dug up before freezing, then replanted. However, this gives you the opportunity to divide the bulb and plant more. They are simply awesome if they work for your climate and sun conditions. Here is
some info:

https://www.almanac.com/plant/cannas

jsahara24
# Posted: 24 Oct 2022 12:53

Quoting: Brettny
Hosta.

Yes, we have them in front of our house (north side) that gets very little sunlight. They are growing like crazy.....

paulz
# Posted: 24 Oct 2022 17:26

Thanks guys, gives me something to ask about when I head to the nursery.

gcrank1
# Posted: 24 Oct 2022 20:27

If you get Hosta be sure to plant it a MIN of twice as far away from a walkway or building as you think you need to.

NorthRick
# Posted: 26 Oct 2022 13:53

Impatiens, begonias, and dahlias. They seem to actually like cloudy, wet weather.

paulz
# Posted: 26 Oct 2022 19:17

I pilfered this from my Mother in Law's (RIP) vacant house. What is it?

Are perennials what I'm after? Here's the page from the 'plants in shade' section of my local nursery. They list several Hostas, among other things.

https://www.summerwindsnursery.com/ca/plants/perennials/shade/love/

Just remembered Home Depot has a garden department. Walked though it 100 times.
20221026_152703.jpg
20221026_152703.jpg

NorthRick
# Posted: 27 Oct 2022 13:58

Jade. Up here it's a house plant.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 5 Nov 2022 21:05 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Early spring flowers might work in more deciduous areas where the spring sun can reach them before the shade stunts their growth.

Just for the fun of it I’ve bought a few of those cheap bags of tulip. crocus and other bulbs and we’ve randomly planted them along a few of our trails. (Maybe 200+ bulbs so far.). Some of the tulips have come up and survived deer long enough to get noticed. Hopefully many more survive foraging ling enough to get established.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.