Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / John Deere backhoe/loader
<< . 1 . 2 .
Nobadays
# Posted: 4 Nov 2022 11:05 - Edited by: Nobadays

Here is a link to the machine.

https://pueblo.craigslist.org/hvo/d/moffat-2019-john-deere-1025r/7547937328.html

Edit... this is exactly the size we wanted for our property... larger just wouldn't work for us.

paulz
# Posted: 4 Nov 2022 15:30

What do you figure the new cost for everything would be? The augers are something I wish I had. I do think your wife will have to be involved, that's a lot of stuff to muscle around one armed.

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 4 Nov 2022 15:35

I'm fortunate enough to have a large pole barn with a concrete floor. I made dollies for everything, including the backhoe and post hole auger. I can just wheel everything up to the tractor and make the connections, instead of having to line the tractor up to the implement. The trickiest one to make was the post hole auger. The implement stands upright.

Tim_Ohio

Brettny
# Posted: 4 Nov 2022 15:47

Quoting: paulz
What do you figure the new cost for everything would be? The augers are something I wish I had

I'm thinking the new replacement cost for the tractor, loader and backhoe would be roughly $30k. The attachments $600-1200 a piece. The thing is it's not new and the buyer base whose coming with $20k cash could be prety small.

gcrank1
# Posted: 4 Nov 2022 15:58

Would be even better at $15k. That amount now vs holding out for maybe $20k who-knows-when?

Nobadays
# Posted: 5 Nov 2022 09:20

I think Brett is right on approx new costs. Not sure what these machines are going for in your area, but these low hour, small JD and Kubotas usually start around $23k - $25k with loader and backhoe here in CO. For that matter, even in AZ.

I was pretty surprised to see one on Craigslist with so many implements at $20k. Of course I will try to get it cheaper, but after looking on Craigslist and other classifieds for two years now, I have a pretty good handle on prices for this area. This isn't bad.

Nobadays
# Posted: 5 Nov 2022 09:24

Quoting: Tim_Ohio
The trickiest one to make was the post hole auger. The implement stands upright.

A friend of mine just drills the auger into the ground, unhooks and drives away. Cleans and oils it and stores lying down during the winter but the rest of the year it's ready to hook onto.

gcrank1
# Posted: 5 Nov 2022 10:21 - Edited by: gcrank1

My experienced friend drills as deep as it will go with the 3pt full down then, if needed deeper, plants the fel and lifts the front wheels off until the 3pt arms hit.
If the rig is a private sale maybe no sales tax? If so that can be some money off as a practical 'discount' compared to buying from a dealer.

Nobadays
# Posted: 5 Nov 2022 10:55

Quoting: gcrank1
If the rig is a private sale maybe no sales tax? If so that can be some money off as a practical 'discount' compared to buying from a dealer.

Yes, no sales tax and that is significant here since the tax is ~10% . I'm really hoping to get it for around $18k or less.

I just bought a boat a few weeks ago, asking price $2,900, paid $2,500. I don't remember the last time I paid full asking.

Nobadays
# Posted: 9 Nov 2022 00:31

Took possession of the JD 1025r tractor today. Been on the road all day. We are 22 miles from pavement, potholes, washboard and big stretches of ice and snow. Went out this morning and were able to borrow a friend's Dodge 3500 with a 20', triple axle gooseneck trailer. 1.5 hour drive to where the tractor was, then nearly two hours back to where we hit the dirt road then another 1.5 hours up to the cabin to drop it off.... you guessed it, another 1.5 hours to pavement followed by an hours drive to return the truck. Then.... after dinner in town, a two hour drive home. Im beat! I don't want to drive that road again for a month! Wife says we have to go back in Friday.... uggh!

Pictures will follow of the tractor! Oh ended up at $1,800.

jsahara24
# Posted: 9 Nov 2022 09:16

Quoting: Nobadays
Took possession of the JD 1025r tractor today.

Congrats! Look forward to the pictures and to hear about future projects...

gcrank1
# Posted: 9 Nov 2022 09:33

Hope it lives long and works well for ya

Nobadays
# Posted: 9 Nov 2022 15:24

Couple pictures... see if they load upright.
68970730520__DA02F67.jpg
68970730520__DA02F67.jpg
68971414222__0A89AA2.jpg
68971414222__0A89AA2.jpg

Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 10 Nov 2022 07:46

If it hasn't already been done, plan to change the oil in the transaxle, which also controls all of the hydraulics. There should be a filter on this unit as well. You never really know what the previous owner did with it. Air and condensation are the enemies of hydraulic systems. You should be able to find a procedure online. If not, it's pretty simple. There are drain plugs and fill ports and, of course a filter. It takes some time to get it to completely drain and then to refill, since the oil is pretty thick. Hy-Gard is the John Deere product, but I've had no problem using an equivalent NAPA product. Once it's complete, you will have to bleed the air which involves a helper who can operate the forward and reverse pedals while the unit is jacked up from the rear. The free-wheeling lever is disengaged, then re engaged as the helper engages the forward and reverse pedals.

Best of luck with it.

Tim_Ohio

Nobadays
# Posted: 10 Nov 2022 08:59

Thanks Tim.... full service at 350hrs, has 414hrs now. I'm not sure of the service schedule. I need to download the manual from JD... though it might be on the machine in a tube, I need to look for it.

Did use the loader yesterday to move the 4' high pile of snow in front of the cabin... from the roofs, north side. Not completely comfortable with the pedals yet, keep trying to brake on the right. All in all pretty intuitive layout.

Used the backhoe to break up some ice by my shop. I do OK with it but certainly not fluid. I only ran it about 20 minutes. I think with practice and possibly trying to move/bend the sticks a little closer I will get better at operating it.

Brettny
# Posted: 10 Nov 2022 09:10

Nice machine and I'm sure it will do a ton of work for you. First thing I would do is get to the JD dealer and buy a bucket of hydraulic oil for it. How close is the JD dealer to you? These things have complex emissions systems that can only be looked at by the dealer. Only being able to borrow a trailer that's hours away could be a problem.

gcrank1
# Posted: 10 Nov 2022 09:22

All the info is online, no need for the paper manual really. As I understand it, they dont come with one anyway, its a PDF download, a bunch of pages.
Look up:
tractortimewithtim.com
All kinds of vids about these units.

Nobadays
# Posted: 10 Nov 2022 16:00

Quoting: Brettny
How close is the JD dealer to you?

The nearest town, 32 miles away has a JD dealer. That's where the machine was last serviced. This is farming country so no shortage of tractor dealers/mechanics.

Eventually I will get a dual axle trailer capable of hauling the tractor but I have to wait until my wife's nerves settle down after this purchase!

Nobadays
# Posted: 10 Nov 2022 16:04

Quoting: gcrank1
Look up:
tractortimewithtim.com
All kinds of vids about these units.

Yep I've looked at a couple videos. The one he did working at an off-grid place north of us, at 8,500' was worth the watch. I had posted a question about rough starting on the Green Tractor Talk forum, someone directed me to that video. Apparently at this altitude naturally aspirated diesels, especially the 1025r will spit and sputter for a bit before smoothing out. We won't get into the loss of hp!

snobdds
# Posted: 10 Nov 2022 16:14

You will love it. My dad bought one for the cabin so we don't have to haul up the mini ex or SS.

We have used it for everything. We haven't abused it, but it gets worked hard. We have nothing but rock and it's done a lot of digging and log duties pulling out stuff for firewood.

I was skeptible at first just how much work it can do. I am a changed man now. I don't have to haul up the heavy pigs to do anything, this fills the role of two machines.

That will do a lot of work for you.
WP_20160618_004.jpg
WP_20160618_004.jpg

Nobadays
# Posted: 10 Nov 2022 18:51

Quoting: snobdds
We have nothing but rock and it's done a lot of digging

We have pretty rocky soil as well. I'm thinking of getting a bucket tooth bar for the front bucket. I read a tooth bar greatly increases your ability to dig rocky soil out of the bank.

Brettny
# Posted: 10 Nov 2022 20:34

You dont really want to dig with a front bucket so a tooth bar isnt going to help much. It's also not going to break rock. Try digging with the backhoe bucket first, then it's about 4x as hard.

I have very hard clay, shale and bed rock and wouldnt think of trying to actualy dig with the bucket. I have done it but I was really in a jam. The jam was a leaking septic pipe in my basement the night before I was leaving for 10days.

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 Nov 2022 14:39

There is an attachment to mount on the bucket frame (you drop the bucket off, easy to do) that is made for grubbing out stumps; a heavy duty V digger. My guess is it would be pretty good in rocky ground.

Nobadays
# Posted: 11 Nov 2022 18:49

Quoting: Brettny
You dont really want to dig with a front bucket so a tooth bar isnt going to help much.

I ran heavy equipment for more than 20 years, I understand a loader bucket is not the best digging tool on a backhoe/loader. But scooping up and moving material out of banks is what I am referring to. In rocky ground, even loose fill which is some of what I'll be moving, a tooth bar can help the bucket penetrate and allow you to get a full scoop instead of a partial. A toothbar on these little subcompact tractors is quite commonplace.

Here is a link to a discussion on the Green Tractor Talk where they discuss toothbars.
toothbars

Nobadays
# Posted: 19 Nov 2022 15:09 - Edited by: Nobadays

Installed hooks/D-rings on the bucket this morning. I was going to just put weld on hooks but thebother day we were carrying something in the bucket that was awkward so put a ratchet strap around it. Had to fiddle about to find places to hook the strap on. Thought D-rings would be nice.

Edit... yes grade 8 bolts.
IMG_7728.jpg
IMG_7728.jpg

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.