Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Mice In the Walls - a "solution"......sort of
zorro
# Posted: 28 Nov 2022 09:36

Just for info, in case it helps anyone

So we have been troubled by mice inside the walls almost since the cabin was built, only around 3 years ago

Myself and buddies have been under the cabin, on the cabin ……………everywhere to try to fill any holes…..and they are still getting in

So over the weekend, I tried something different – clearly it does not permanently solve the issues (that only happens when I actually find where they are getting in), but it at least gave some “relief” from the scratching……

• I drilled 3/8” holes along the top of the couple of walls where the scratching comes from
• I then sprayed a mixture of mouse deterrent and peppermint oil into each of the holes
• I then plugged the holes with wood plugs from Amazon, that matched the pine walls almost perfectly

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HYP6D5C?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00INI633Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

And for all Thanksgiving weekend, we had zero scratching or noises at all

Maybe they went to another cabin for Thanksgiving dinner!!, but they did not come into my walls over the weekend

I will not be back to the cabin for several months now with snow/lack of access etc and no doubt they will be back

But this certainly worked for the period I was there and can be easily repeated when i am back by simply removing the plugs and spraying again

And I still need to try to find their point of entry…………cause it drives me crazy!!

Just thought i would post in case this helped anyone

DaveBell
# Posted: 28 Nov 2022 10:50

Sticky peanut butter boards on Amazon. I have caught 18+ mice "before" they enter and pee/poop.

zorro
# Posted: 28 Nov 2022 11:58

I have tried poison, mousetraps, Adirondack traps all around the cabin and they still get in

2 years ago, over about 4 days, my 4 x Adirondack traps on the outside of the cabin, caught over 50 mice.............so clearly there is a mouse problem in the area!!

Need to look at these sticky pads as well - thanks

NorthRick
# Posted: 28 Nov 2022 12:25

Some cats?

zorro
# Posted: 28 Nov 2022 13:01

Cats would not be possible

We are not at the cabin often enough for the cat to remain at the cabin

My wife is pretty allergic to cats

But that would clearly be a solution, if it were possible

Brettny
# Posted: 28 Nov 2022 14:04

Cats also dont catch mice in walls, floors and attics. Tell us about your foundation? It only takes a 1/4 crack for a mouse to get in.

Have you through about useing something like a cheap trail cam on areas they may be getting in?

zorro
# Posted: 28 Nov 2022 14:26 - Edited by: zorro

Thanks Brettny

I agree they could get in literally anywhere - but they are definitely in the walls and also in the cabin - caught 2 in the cabin over the weekend

Have traps inside and outside and that was not stopping them

Placed poison all around the outside as well as 4 Adirondack traps - definitely success with the traps, but feel reinforcements are simply waiting behind everyone i catch and kill

Cabin is on concrete "stilts/pillars" with a wood floor with wood rafters/beams

We have been all over the cabin with flashlights checking for any gaps and filled everything we could find

I honestly cannot see what else to do or to try

The peppermint in the walls over the weekend appeared to have some success, but agree that is only a band aid over the main access issue
IMG_9576.jpg
IMG_9576.jpg

zorro
# Posted: 28 Nov 2022 14:27

Oh, never thought about the trail cam idea - maybe that could help - good idea

Brettny
# Posted: 28 Nov 2022 15:22

Did you seal around any plumbing or electrical that runs through the sub floor? The live edge siding makes it hard to seal things up totally.

I'm sure you know but mice can walk up rough cut lumber like it's a sidewalk.

zorro
# Posted: 28 Nov 2022 15:30

All electrical and plumbing sealed

Live edge though - that is a great point..........need to look at that cause i know some of that is coming away

And yep, they can walk up the side like it is a flat piece of wood!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 28 Nov 2022 22:54 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

The best way to find out how they are getting in is on a moonless night have one person inside with a bright light and another person outside. Each room, every door and window, the floor. If you see light seeping through you have found the entry point.
We have totally eliminated mice. It took a lot of work. It’s been three years with no mice in the cabin.
We do the above once a year...just in case.

zorro
# Posted: 28 Nov 2022 22:59

That is a great idea

Thanks for that - definitely try the next time at the cabin

Thank you

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 28 Nov 2022 23:01

You’re welcome.

FishHog
# Posted: 29 Nov 2022 08:07

Nice looking place. I'm surprised with all the gravel surrounding you, that you have such a mouse issue. I'm a lot closer to the bush and the mouse battle will never end, but luckily I've never had them inside.

Do you leave your bucket traps out all the time? I have 2 out year round. Use antifreeze and they pickle and don't smell. I fish the dead ones out when I'm there and the same antifreeze lasts years.

Still best to find the way they are getting in, but constantly trapping them will keep the numbers down.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 29 Nov 2022 09:42

You may try installing tin flashing around the support posts to try n slip em up. Good luck

zorro
# Posted: 29 Nov 2022 12:16

Thanks guys

The back of the cabin is only maybe 6' from the woods and my guess is that is their primary route

And yeah, i leave traps and poison out all year round as well as poison under the cabin which doesnt get buried with snow

And I do leave the Adirondack traps out - they have peanut butter (which seems to work well) and in the bucket, antifreeze and Pine Sol (stops any smell)

And another good idea with the tin flashing - but obviously will not work on the stairs unfortunately

But all good idea to work on - thanks guys

FishHog
# Posted: 29 Nov 2022 15:48

The pine sol isn't necessary, there is no smell with just antifreeze, I've been doing it for years and have left mice in it for over 8 months. But I've also heard many people use pine Sol to repel mice. My mother swears it keeps her drive shed mouse free, just little bowls of it around. So you might be inadvertently reducing the effectiveness of your traps using it. Not sure, but I am sure its not needed.

zorro
# Posted: 29 Nov 2022 16:37

Ah - now that is not good

Thanks for the heads up

hattie
# Posted: 16 Dec 2022 00:46

We've been looking after an old, historic prospector's cabin in the bush. It was overrun with mice when we took it over. Haven't had a problem in over a year. Any holes were stuffed with steel wool. We keep a mouse bucket trap in the cabin in case any mice come in (nothing in over a year). I also put cold, wood ashes around the outside perimeter of the cabin. I read they won't cross it and I do believe that is true. Pack rats will cross but not regular mice.

Pack rats are another story. They get into the cellar. Nasty things. I have managed to keep them out of the cabin, but it bothers me they are in the cellar. I have shot quite a few with a pump air gun my husband built for me. It has a laser on the front to help with the aim (I am not a gun person) in the closed, dark, quarters of the cellar. I don't want to use poison because of the owls in the area.
The cabin we look after
The cabin we look after

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.