Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / I want to Buy a Used or New Tiny Home, Yurt, or RV Trailer in Midwest
Ethereal
# Posted: 5 Dec 2022 16:40

I live in Arkansas with a new property in North Central Arkansas near the Missouri border. I am currently looking into Yurt Kits, Tiny Homes, and RV Trailers either Used or New that would hopefully not be more than $10,000 and preferably much less than that. I have a truck that can tow, so I'm hoping to find something relatively close to Arkansas / Midwest region, but would consider other offers from further away!

MJH
# Posted: 5 Dec 2022 19:00

I've stayed in several yurts. Unless you're going with something very large (going to cost a lot more than $10k) they're not overly practical... there's a lot of rounded space that is difficult to use. I'd probably opt for a canvas wall tent setup over a yurt.

Look on facebook marketplace for tiny homes and such, though. At least in the western great lakes region they are all over.

Brettny
# Posted: 6 Dec 2022 10:20

Buy a shed and convert it. Almost all the trailers under $10k are junk.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 6 Dec 2022 15:28

Quoting: Brettny
Buy a shed and convert it. Almost all the trailers under $10k are junk.

Yes, and if it reads "hunter special" in the add, its also junk.

offgrid89
# Posted: 16 Dec 2022 11:33

I found it difficult to find a tiny home or camper that was not in terrible shape or terribly expensive. I found "Tiny House Made Easy" which has nice easy to follow plans and information to get you started. Saving me money now I have exactly what I want.

https://bit.ly/3V59bii

Ethereal
# Posted: 23 Dec 2022 10:04

Thanks for the tips! I'm looking at the possibility of Tuff Sheds right now, I hadn't heard of them before, but at a glance it seems totally feasible for my needs at a reasonable cost

frankpaige
# Posted: 23 Dec 2022 11:45

Tuff Sheds are an option. Also those sheds that Home Depot and Lowes sell. You have not given your woodworking experience. Is building this shed/cabin a possibility? I built the walls to my cabin in the driveway and then trucked them up to the site.
Framing is not rocket science. If you decide on a size, then read and investigate. Slow and steady. Plus, you will love the experience.
Best of luck in whatever you decide.

gcrank1
# Posted: 23 Dec 2022 12:06

Determine a size, yes! And ime use multiples of 4' to best utilize 4x8' sheet products and minimize waste (of material and money).
Based on the footprint will be your 'foundational requirements'; ie, a shed size can be 'floating' on a packed gravel bed and blocks. Bigger may well mean piers or footings. Then there is the 'code and inspections' thing.....
So, if shed size, can you build a properly supported and squared up/leveled deck?
After the deck is done can you build properly studded walls?
Then rafters?
Each step is well documented in readily available publications at the public library for free, for sale at any building center and online. And here.
It is all done a step at a time BUT must start on a good site, straight/square/and level or it will become difficult as it grows upward.
For some folks the process is much of the reward. For others, taking a prebuilt shell and finishing it to their tastes is enough, and gets to the end usability part faster.
Figure out which you are and make a plan.

Ethereal
# Posted: 23 Dec 2022 18:51

Thanks everyone for the tips! I have some construction / framing experience, so I had already looked into designing something on my own, but when I did the materials cost calculation last year, and factored in my individual situation and the intensive time and labor that I would be required to do, I can't imagine I would pay anymore for these kind of "Pre-Fab" installation included Sheds for any less than they cost ;) I hadn't really looked into Pre Fab sheds until I saw several people recommending them. I knew they existed, but didn't know about the cost and lack of necessary labor, so all in all they seem like a really good starting place, which is all I need

I may still be interested in Yurt kits, used Tiny Homes, etc. in the future - any and all recommendations are very appreciated moving forward!

Happy Holidays, and Merry Christmas everyone!

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 24 Dec 2022 09:44

Thank you. Merry Christmas back. My I suggest that you build what you're heart n mind want. Only get one chance. You don't want to sit in your cabin and have any thoughts about how you would have really wanted it but cheaped out or it was good just OK. Get what you want

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.