Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Snowy moosey year
Aklogcabin
# Posted: 16 Dec 2022 09:38

We're getting a good bit of snow this year and the moose are having a tough time. Nothing like having a few stressed out moose in the yard. 2' dump last week and a few 1' snow falls. Near 4' around the house. Schools have been closed all week.
This little bull has taken to hanging around. Could be here all winter, never know. They are always around. So you have to be pretty careful. Neighbor stepped out his front door and one was sleeping a foot away next to his house. Front porch was his bed for a while.
We raise meat rabbits so we have hay in a shed but they still get into the manure pile. Actually they get no nutritional value from hay, can't digest it correctly. But they think they can.
They step right over the 5' fence around the yard.
I get mostly concerned about our chessy. She's been face to face before. We had a jack Russell. Got stomped 3 times, imagine that.
Anyhows thought you all might like to see a moose picture.
Little bull, well little antlers
Little bull, well little antlers

Nobadays
# Posted: 16 Dec 2022 09:45

Nice! Be careful! We have Moose in our area but we usually see then down by the river, pretty rare that they come up near the cabins. One traveled through one of the properties near the river last summer and they were able to get a picture. Pretty elusive here, we see one or two a year. We've yet to see a bull....

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 16 Dec 2022 11:54

Actually there are a pair of twin brothers. The other one has a rack almost double the size on this one.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 16 Dec 2022 15:20

Moose at my cabin too, but pretty elusive.

Gregoire guy
# Posted: 16 Dec 2022 17:49

Where are you located toyota tech? caught my eye because we're a diehard toyota family.
i'm between Kapuskasing and Cochrane, totally off grid, old family homestead. i'm originally from Timmins Ontario, which is an hour away. There is a family of albino moose, about 45min from Timmins, which are fair game to hunt, but there is a known 'unwritten' rule that they are to be left alone. I'm 58 and have yet to hear of any being shot. We see moose fairly often, highway hazard. we're a bit too far north for Deer yet, however they are moving closer. they are about 2 hours south, kirkland lake, new liskeard area. cheers, nice photo.

Bruces
# Posted: 16 Dec 2022 18:58

Hi Gregoire ! My son lives in Kap ,electrician at the mill ,races snowcross for team skidoo ,nice area ,I am from Sudbury .

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 Dec 2022 21:07 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: Gregoire guy
Where are you located toyota tech? caught my eye because we're a diehard toyota family.

I am in Washington State, live on the west side, but cabin is north central part of the state. Northeast part of the state is the moose quadrant.

Toyota dealer tech, same employer for 34 yrs now, own a fleet, 2012 Prius V wagon, 2016 Camry SE, 2019 RAV4 Hybrid and a 2010 RAM 2500 diesel.

Had loads prior to these too.

Alaskajohn
# Posted: 18 Dec 2022 12:48 - Edited by: Alaskajohn

We have two cows, each with a calf, hanging out on our private driveway that’s about a half mile long. Snow is armpit deep already. Fortunately, our dog, a beagle, knows to stay away from moose and doesn’t chase.

Our previous dog, a Jack Russell, would chase everything except bears. He survived multiple encounters with moose and even brought an angry bull right up to our front porch as it chased that crazy dog back to the house. Fortunately the bull moose decided not to chase him into the cabin!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.